LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
July 26, 2014, 01:04:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Latest Contest/Giveaway - Win Free Gear >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=26411.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POWERMAX SG9120 Motor w/Metal Gear Review  (Read 12051 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« on: October 14, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »

POWERMAX SG9120 Motor w/Metal Gear Review

http://www.hypermegasat.com/SG9120.htm

As you guys and gals may know, this product was officially released by WS International here on this forum for the first time ever, back a couple of weeks ago here in this thread: http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=1012.0

In that thread it was promised that WSI would send us a test sample to test and review for your members. Well, that sample has arrived so its time to start checking this thing out!

First some pics from WSI:

Next, Description and Features, also from the manufacturer/distributor:

Steel Gears Make This DiSEqC Motor Truely Heavy Duty. Don't Spend Money On Older Models Claiming To Be Heavy Duty with Plastic Gear. The SG9120 Is The Latest & Most Durable & Heavy Duty DiSEqC Motor On The Market! The motor includes 4 larger nuts and bolts that will work with the WS9036 90cm satellite dish and will mount onto the larger 50mm tube.  The 50mm tube works excellent with almost any 120cm satellite dish on the market and almost all 90cm satellite dishes similar to the WS9036 90cm or any other with a U bolt.  The metal gear inside will not deteriorate or grind due to heavy use.

Features:

SG9120 Fits dishes up to 1.2m
METAL GEAR
Smart-Fit design allows back bracket to mount snug.
Specially designed back bracket for use of motor in both Northern and Southern Hemisphere (Example: North America & South America)
Larger oversized mounting bracket helps with wind resistance
1-year manufacturers warranty
DiSEqC 1.2 Compatible
USALS Compatible
Everything controlled via 1 coaxial cable
Ultra low noise
Goto X function
LED Power Indicator
East/West movement button on motor
Degree indicator on shaft
Mostly steel gears except for shaft gear
Hardware Reset button to to allow you to easily reset the motor with a quick touch of a button

to be continued ......

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:33:05 PM by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends, hit by a truck on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15, 3 days after his birthday. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »

review continued ......

Specifications (as reported in the user manual):

Protocol: DiSEqC 1.2
Compatible Receiver: DiSEqC 1.2 receiver
Antenna Size: 120cm max
Speed: 1.9 deg/sec at 13V, 2.5/sec at 18V
Azimuth Angle: 10-90 deg
Tube for Antenna: 45mm x 160L   <<<<<< Defenitely not correct. Tube measures precisely 55.2 mm diameter by me
Diameter of Stand-mast 35-65 mm
Input Voltage: 13/18 VDC
Output Voltage 13/18 VDC (according to inout)
Power Consumption: 40mA (standby) / 200mA (normal)/350mA (max)
Satellite Positions: 60 positions
Go to o Position Functiom: Yes
Recalculation Function: Yes
Go to X Function: Yes
Manual Button: Yes (East/West)
Indicating LED: Yes (2 Colors)
Limit Protection: 1) Programmable Software Limit. 2) Hardware Limit
Positioning Sensor: High Resolution Hall Effect Sensor
Weight: 2.55 Kg (net) / 2.8 Kg (gross)
Dimensions: 316 x 180 x 114 mm

to be continued .......

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:38:07 PM by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends, hit by a truck on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15, 3 days after his birthday. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »

continued .....

OK. Thats everything as far as info, features, specs, pics, etc.. from the distributor/manufacturer.

As far as those specs I will test as many as I can such as speed, voltage etc.. later on in the review.

So lets get down to what i actually received. Sometimes you get pics and specs from companies and then when you receive it its totally different. Its like those Arby's commercials where the sandwich looks so perfect and then you go to Arbys and you get a smushed up piece of crap sandwich.

Anways, that is defenitely not the case here. Everything was received just as it was pictured. Here is a couple of quick photos I took to show everyone:

What you get in the box is this:

1 pc SG9120 Motor, shrink wrapped
1 pc User Manual
1 Mount Bracket
1 Pair of U Bolts for attaching to mast pole with all hardware, nuts, washers, etc..
4 pcs Extra long Bolts and Nuts for attachment to certain dish's (see description).

First Impressions:

OK. With just lookimng at it and doing a visual inspection I am impressed. The shrink wrap on the motor is nice. I have had some defenite problems with motors not being wrapped in anything when their new and they arrive to the customer all scuffed up and dirty looking. Not good, customer would think it was used.  Anyways thats not the case here. This motor looks beautiful under the shrink wrap. Years of looking at paint tells me this is probably a polyester powder coat which is very very good for durability. Tha inner packaging is more than adequate. I was very satisfied with how this think looked upon arrival.

The U Bolts and all that Hardware is pretty much what you see with any motor, nothing special there.

The Mounting Bracket is very large compared to other motors. Very large and pretty heavy duty looking.  It has 2 different slots for elevation. One for 15 to 55 degrees, another for 50-90 degrees. The other side of the bracket is marked Latitude of course.  0-40 and 35 to 75 on the scale. Both scales are readable.

The User Manual is teeny tiny small. Like 5 inches by 2 inches. Nice to put in your pocket I suppose. 38 pages and is helpful but if i was installing this for the first time i admit this manual would be helpful, but it could be better. I have yet to meet a real good install manual that comes with any motor. But, this one is better than most Ive seen.

What really hit me is that other than the 50mm tube, this thing looks just like the SG6000 Motor. Other than the 50 mm tube, and the 4 extra long bolts, and the printing on the outside of the box, everything else is the same.

The motor body the same size, shape, color, even the serial number and qc ok stickers in the same place. I checked the sizes of each with a set of digital calipers and they are exactly the same. The user manual, again pretty much exactly the same except the model number. Hardware, bracket all the same. Even box size and inner packing materials exactly the same. 

The tubes are defenitely different, and they even attach different. On a SG6000 there is a bolt that goes through the tube near the motor base and you can clearly see it on the outside of the tube.

On the SG9120 it does not attach that way. There is a bolt on the inside of the tube attaching it to the motor. Not visible on the outside at all. You have to look into the tube to see it and would need a hex socket with extension to get to it. Time will tell which is a better way to attach the tube i guess.

OK. Thats it for First Impressions. Next I will have to actually install this thing and see how she works.

to be continued .......

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:36:47 PM by Hyper » Logged

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:06:52 PM »

OK. Well, I have installed this motor and have been playing with it the last few days. Unfortunately I didnt have the type of dish I wanted to use sitting around so I had to improvise, you will see in a few minutes what I/m talking about. Now of course as explained above the SG9120 Heavy Duty comes with a 50mm tube. There are lots of dishes out there that require it. Some dishes you will defenitely not be able to use this motor with unless you do some really serious re-engineering. Just about any dish that uses a "U Bolt" clamping system will work with the hardware sent with the motor. These look like this pic below. The WS9036 90cm and the Hotdish 90 are 2 examples of dishes that mount like this so either will fit this motor.

Now if you have a Dish with a 40 mm round mast mount like these pictures below you wont be able to use this motor:

If you have a Dish with a 50 mm round tube mount like in my pictures here you can still use this motor, however you will probably have to take that 50mm round tube mount bracket all the way off the dish so you can open it up to get it around that lip at the end of the shaft on the motor. See pic one in this post and you will see the lip I'm talking about. Its approximately 65mm in diameter. Again if you have a clamp system like shown in picture 1 you wont have this problem.

I was using a DirecPC fiberglass dish to do my testing. It has the 50mm round tube clamp as you'll see in the pics below. This would also work with a Dish Network SuperDish, buy you'll have to do some modifications.  Anyways I chose this old fiberglass dish because it had the 50 mm tube clamp and because its heavy. This old fiberglass dish is much heavier than my 36" dishes i have sitting around here so i wanted to see if the motor would handle it. It did, with no problems at all.

Here is some pics of my fiberglass dish install:

Thats a FSS LNB in that last pic, this dish was once used for satellite internet. Anyways I did replace that LNB and just strapped a cheapo 0.3dB in its place with wire ties for my testing and i was actually able to get decent signal. I programmed in 72.0W, 97.0W, and 123.0W and motored in between them for a couple of days.

The Results:

The motor was as accurate as anything else I have used, i had absolutely no problems. I was using DiSEqC 1.2 saved positions. The motor never once failed to find the position, i probably motored between these 3 sats 60-70 times over the course of 2 days. No errors or blinking orange lights at all. It did its job each and every time. The motor was quiet, similar in noise to a SG6000 or a SG2100. It seemed to have no problem with the extra weight of the fiberglass dish I was using. Operation was very smooth. I do not think it moved any faster or slower than other motors I have used in the past.

One thing I found I really liked about this motor was the buttons. I know its a small thing but the button for moving east/west manually and the button for the LED indicator are made of a softer more pliable rubber material than compared to the SG6000 I have here. Its also more of a clear rubber material. I liked this for 2 reasons.

1) It is much easier to see the LED indicator. On the SG6000 the button is not clear, more white than anything and especially in the daylight you have to put your face right on it to see the LED. This is much better on the SG9120 because of the material.

2) Its easier to use the manual east/west button because the rubber is much softer. On the SG6000 sometimes its a real chore to move it manually because the button is "harder" and this makes it harder to push, especially when you have to push twice and hold to go east. The room for your hand is limited in the first place. We've talked about this before here on the forums.

Anyways, thats a small thing, but sometimes small things are important.

Overall I really like this motor. I really cant say anything negative about it at all. I could do without the 65mm lip on the shaft, but thats not really a big deal. It would be nice to have a 40 mm shaft for it if needed, but then again lots of people need 50 mm shafts and on many motors such as the SG2100, or the SG6000, and others you have to pay extra to get a 50mm shaft so its nice to have a motor with a standard 50 mm shaft.

Now, metal verse plastic gears, thats a long term test. I have heard pros and cons of each and honestly I dont have the data to back up claims for either being better so i leave that for you to decide.

I would buy this motor, and because I would use it myself, I will sell this motor and have no problems at all recommending it.

I would now like to thank Robby at WS International for providing this sample to our forum to test and review for our members. Thank you Robby, we appreciate it.

And I would also like to remind everyone here that we will be giving this motor away. Check the contests/giveaways section, there will be an announcement soon.

;D

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:39:24 PM by Hyper » Logged

quasimodem

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »

I recently bought this motor from HMS...
I knew as soon as the delivery truck dropped it off that it was an improvement over the SG6000. It's noticeably heavier and the larger diameter shaft is pretty impressive.
The only trouble I've had was lifting the darn thing with my dish over my head to mount it on my mast! There is absolutely no play in the shaft (the 6000 had quite a bit), a big plus.
I set it up with a reference mark that I made where the center of the 6000 mounted on my mast, so it is virtually right where my other motor was.
I had problems with my other set up, I thought I wasn't quite in the arc because I couldn't get the farther western satellites. Now I'm beginning to think it wasn't my set up or positioning but rather the play in the old motor.
I've been able to find 119 and 121 Echostar with no problem now...with the same declination and true south pointing.
The metal gears are what sold me, along with the fact that I knew I would get it asap and with free shipping...you can't beat HMS service.
great motor, 5 stars and absolute positive feedback on this end......
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:01:24 AM by quasimodem » Logged
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 04:39:20 AM »

Great post quasimodem, im glad to hear you like the motor and even more glad you shared your results.

Happy motoring my friend!   ;D

One thing I want to add here. There is talk about whats better plastic or steel gears going around at several forums, all copied and pasted from the same source. I myself do not know that answer and i dont believe everything i read. Until i see some lab test data on the actual materials used in both with some long term testing also performed by an independant source, i remain skeptical.

Bottom line, choose what you feel is best as a consumer. Every motor I sell has a 1 year manufacturers warranty, plastic or steel gear.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:05:17 AM by Hyper » Logged

CharlesT

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:42:18 AM »

Very interesting. I just bought one unit from Hyper on Ebay. My Christmas toy! Ho! Ho! Ho!
Hyper, I also bought one Spitfire Elite LNB. Can you ship the lnb with the motor ? (because the motor will be delivered with Priority Mail)
Thanks.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 02:30:44 AM »

Very interesting. I just bought one unit from Hyper on Ebay. My Christmas toy! Ho! Ho! Ho!
Hyper, I also bought one Spitfire Elite LNB. Can you ship the lnb with the motor ? (because the motor will be delivered with Priority Mail)
Thanks.

CharlesT - make sure to let us know what you think of the motor dude.

;D

CharlesT

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:59 AM »

Sorry for my english, it is not my primary language. Ok. Installation was completed last sunday. Its the first time I play with an h-h motor. I have found the true south for my location, not precisely, just approximative. Then I have asked my Traxis 3500 to move the dish to G19 at 97 W using USALS interface (with my location according to Google Earth). Then, I have rotate very slowly the dish on the perfectly vertical pole and, at the same time, I have pushed down and pulled up the antenna because of this: according to the manual I should have put 7 degrees of declination to the elevation of the dish. But 7 degrees in reference with what ? When the dish is vertical ? I did not know what to do. But thanks god, at the first try, I have found G and my dish-motor installation was completed. I have been playing with my new toy until last night. Wow! Very very cold. Minus 25, near minus 35 with wind chill. And the things goes wrong. At 2 AM, I have moved the dish from 72 to 74 up to 83 W. Then, nothing. I have tried to go back to 74 or 72 but it was impossible. Today, at 11AM, temperature minus 18, I have tried to move the dish. I have reached G19 but it was not easy. I think the motor is frozen. I wonder if by very cold time, plastic gears would not resist better to cold.  Now, I am waiting that the time warms up.

Charles
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »

Hey CharlesT, thanks for the update. That is lucky you found the arc on the first try! Good for you my friend. Wow, -25 degrees is darn cold. I cant remember where your at but it must be Antartica, or Canada or something. LOL. I live in Michigan and I too have experienced problems in real cold weather with my motors. I havent tested the SG9120 in cold weather but I have tested with a SG2100 and a SG6000 and both gave me some problems not moving in the extreme cold. Anybody else have problems with this ever?

solarsam
Honored Member

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »

This problem crops up now and then in very cold temps.Ive been there,done that. There could be a number of things that cause the motor to stop. Chances are the motor itself is ok since its new. One source of freezing is water that  might have gotten into the housing or joints.In this case I doubt thats the problem. The other which I would bet is your problem is the grease thats used to lube the gear. Usually the unit is built with general purpose grease and that wont cut it in a very cold temps which your experiencing at this time. If you look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread you will see a small amount of grease on the gear. The amount of grease on the gear can very during assembly. Im sure you know where Im going with this and you dont really want to have to get out in the cold to tear down the motor and replace the grease with a cold temp type....do you?....nope.I wouldnt want to either..so about the only thing left for you to do to get the motor moving again is a temp fix.Until the outside temps in your area get back up warm enough to work outside,  get a hold of a short heat tape that is used on water lines and wrap it around the motor and plug it in to a nearby power outlet...the tape will warm the motor enough so you can use it till such time as you can open the motor and remove the old grease. It really doesnt matter which gear you have, plastic or metal, the grease will freeze on both and slow or stop the motor from running in really cold temps.... wheres that global warming when you need it....good luck and stay warm.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »

Nice post solarsam. Is there a specific kind of grease you recommend, a specific brand? How much should you put on? Do you just coat the heck out of the gear all over? I have thought of heating the motor like you suggested but its just one more thing to plug in and burn energy.

CharlesT

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 12:50:12 AM »

Hi solarsam. Same idea here. I have installed this morning an heater cable for water pipe. I have put some isolation material (fiber) and I have tied the whole thing with an isolation tape. Now, this motor is working very very well. Minus 15 today. Temperature will reach 0 and more next week. But very cold temperatures are the norm here in january and february. I think your right about the grease. I will probably try something with the grease...the next winter. Thanks for your post.

Charles
solarsam
Honored Member

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »

Thanks Hyper, You might pass along to the MFG about changing to a low temp grease especially since many of the motors are used in the Northern regions.The grease I use in my motors has lived thru temps as low as -30 deg and still worked fine. I had some small pouches that came with a garage door opener which was a low temp type, it doesnt take much. Good work CharlesT, I figgered you would know about heat tapes since you live in a cold part of the world. When it finally warms up so you can work on your motor you can replace the grease with a low temp type such as used in the marine industry.(cheap and easy to find) Lubriplate is a well know brand that makes that type of grease. You will only need to put a small amount on the surface of the main gear which will deposit grease on the pinion gear as well. Since the motor runs at a slow speed, very small amounts are all that are necessary. As you found out it doesnt take much heat to keep it running..Maybe your area will warm up to -10 or so and you will have a heat wave....good luck, keep warm.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »

POWERMAX SG9120 Motor w/Metal Gear??? Hmmm.
I need another motor.
Any idea on what the dish weight limit is for the SG9120??? I would be interested in trying it.
Thanks. EB
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: