LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
November 27, 2014, 04:35:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Traxis 6100 HD Custom Firmware Sat List 111114 >>>  http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=29742.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Review of the Manhattan RS-1933 FTA Receiver  (Read 4530 times)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« on: September 25, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »

The Manhattan RS-1933 is a fta receiver that is based on the Ali 3602 chip system.  This chip system is similar to the Openbox and some other fta receivers that are on the market. The Manhattan firmware is being designed specifically for the U.S. market.

The Manhattan has been available at retail since July 2011. The Manhattan was originally shipped with firmware that was dated in May of 2011. This firmware would probably remind many people of the firmware that the Solomend receiver had when it was released in the first part of 2010.
Two other firmware updates have been released for the Manhattan. The first firmware that was released in July of 2011 was pulled due to coding issues and the second firmware released is dated 9-01-2011.

The 9-01-2011 firmware has many coding issues. The USALS motor controls do not work for me in this firmware release so it is about unusable in my system. There are several good improvements that I see in the 9-01 firmware, but the bugs will have to be removed before some of these improvements will work correctly.

The Manhattan RS-1933 is an expensive receiver when compared to the Openbox. Currently the Manhattan costs about 50 dollars more than the Openbox.  Usually when people pay more money for a FTA receiver, they expect more features and they expect them to work.

The Manhattan RS-1933 does not have a RS232 or a LAN port. This puts the Manhattan at a serious disadvantage when compared to the Openbox. I have seen several posts and threads by people using Openbox receivers who loaded a file through the usb port and bricked the receiver. Most of these people were able to recover from these bad flashes by loading a file through the RS232 port or by loading a file through the LAN port. If you brick a Manhattan, you will have to send it in for service.

There are some notable features which are available in the Manhattan that are not available in the Openbox. The Manhattan does have manual PID entry, individual scanning of H or V transponders, a bigger satellite file and channel file, plus some special lnb settings. One lnb setting that stands out for me is the universal lnb setting of 5150/10750. This universal setting is the first I have seen on any fta receiver. It allows you to use the combination C/KU lnbs like they are supposed to be used. There is also an universal lnb setting of 5150/10600 that allows the use of a C and KU universal lnb. These universal C/KU lnb settings allow you to delete half of the satellites that are stored in the receiver because you do not need separate satellites for the c and ku bands.

I think the Manhattan RS-1933 has the potential to be a solid fta receiver at some point in time. I have had several people ask me what I think of this receiver and if they should buy one. My answer is this: Know what you are getting before you buy it. Know what the receiver is capable of doing with its current firmware and be sure that it fits your needs. Do not buy any fta receiver based on promises or suggestions of future improvements.

I wish Jeff the very best as he works to improve the firmware of the Manhattan RS-1933 receiver.

El Bandido
9-25-2011
Jimbob
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »

Thank you for your review, you no doubt spent a lot of time with it.
Jim-s

36" Fortec  dish, DG240, QPH-031, Solomend PVR800, OpenboxS9, Pansat 9500HDX. DN Turbo dish DSS LNB, SpitFire LNBF
Tadpol53
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:03:21 PM »

Thanks Elbandido, and again i think i will wait for your review of the pansat 9500 hd reciver, before i buy another openbox, the only thing i dont like about it is the fact that it dont do ac3 without external decoder/converter,but maybe it does have other features openbox doesn't have, the other 125.00 more differance between it and the openbox, and external decoder/converter or no 4:2:2 doesn't make me want to buy one,but I'll wait till you and Hyper do your reviews. TP53   
mengram
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:20:10 PM »

I want a Manhattan RS-1933 but I'm going to wait awhile and let them work the bugs out.

mengram

11 ft solid fiberglass BUD and 24' Von Weise Actuator, ESX242 C-band lnbf, 10 ft Channel Master TVRO Solid BUD and 24" Thompson-Saganaw Actuator, ESX242 C-band lnbf, 8 ft mesh BUD and 24' US Electronics Actuator,  ESX242 C-band lnbf, 36X39' Geosat Pro, SG6000 motor, Invacom QPH-031, JSC322-2 dual KU lnb, DSR922 Motorola 4Dtv, Amiko Alien2, (2) Optibox Raptors, Eyebox X5, Pansat 9500 HDX, (2) Openbox S9 fta receivers, Manhattan-1933, 22inch directtv slimline (will be using as a stationary dish). 52 inch LG Plasma, 47 inch LG 3D, Smart TV, 32 inch Coby LCD televisions. LOS 58.0W to 139.0W
digitaldan

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:09:42 AM »

I want a Manhattan RS-1933 but I'm going to wait awhile and let them work the bugs out.

mengram

Latest file dated for the 30th of september has all the "bugs" worked out. Not bad for a manufacturer to get things going only after a few months! Now this puppy works like a FTA receiver should. Now if they only come out with a media player like the AZ.....  :)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:38:38 AM »

I do not think the receiver is supposed to boot when the Zoom button is pressed on the remote. 
There are a few bugs or issues that could be fixed but the 3.3 file is a very big step in the right direction. I will update this thread in a bit. EB
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 09:39:04 AM »

There are several bugs in this 3.3 file. I will list a couple of them.
Diseqc 1.2 motor control cannot be used with a 22KHz switch.
Some of the antenna settings change for no apparent reason after you exit the Diseqc 1.2 menu.

There is not an option to select Diseqc 1.2 or USALS motor controls for each satellite. The less expensive Openbox has this option.
The (Universal) 5150-10750 setting does not blindscan correctly in the Diseqc 1.2 mode. I have not tested this setting in USALS.
The Antenna Setting Menu(s) are not laid out well and have the look and feel of being unfinished.

I have not checked anything else except the antenna motor section of the 3.3 file. I am sure there are other things that need to be fixed.
The problems I have listed above will not concern you much if you use USALS settings. I have not ran USALS much with this file yet because I was looking at the diseqc 1.2 problem which is not supposed to exist.

We can expect this receiver to continue to improve. The 3.3 file is a positive step but it still needs work.

EB
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »

There are several bugs in this 3.3 file. I will list a couple of them.
Diseqc 1.2 motor control cannot be used with a 22KHz switch.
Some of the antenna settings change for no apparent reason after you exit the Diseqc 1.2 menu.

There is not an option to select Diseqc 1.2 or USALS motor controls for each satellite. The less expensive Openbox has this option.
The (Universal) 5150-10750 setting does not blindscan correctly in the Diseqc 1.2 mode. I have not tested this setting in USALS.
The Antenna Setting Menu(s) are not laid out well and have the look and feel of being unfinished.

I have not checked anything else except the antenna motor section of the 3.3 file. I am sure there are other things that need to be fixed.
The problems I have listed above will not concern you much if you use USALS settings. I have not ran USALS much with this file yet because I was looking at the diseqc 1.2 problem which is not supposed to exist.

We can expect this receiver to continue to improve. The 3.3 file is a positive step but it still needs work.

EB

Thank you elbandido for letting us know about the bugs still existing on this latest software. I dont own one of these yet but i will very soon.

So thanks this keeps me up on where the box is at.

They are improving, that is the most important thing.

Cool

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends, hit by a truck on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15, 3 days after his birthday. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:05:36 AM »

These files are not being reviewed very well before they are released.  To be fair though, the diseqc 1.2 problem could be easily missed.

Here is the diesqc 1.2 problem in more detail:
You probably will never see this problem if you use 22KHZ ON all the time or if you have an universal ku lnb installed with a diseqc 1,.2 positioner because there are only a couple of transponders out in the Atlantic that require the low band(22KHz OFF).  Your universal ku lnb would probably be running all the time with 22KHz ON and the problem does not exist this way.
The problem exists when you are using diseqc 1.2 and have a few satellites that require 22KHz ON and a few that require 22KHz OFF. The satellites that require 22KHz OFF work fine but the ones that need 22KHz ON do not. As a matter of fact, a diseqc 1.2 system will work just fine until the 22KHz tone gets toggled off, then you get No Signal on the satellites that require 22KHz ON. This is what I have found.

This problem does not seem to be isolated to the 22KHz switch either. I transferred the satellites that needed 22KHz ON to port#2 of a diseqc switch and had the same problem. Then I disconnected the Manhattan and replaced it with an Openbox and did not have any more switching problems so I know my antenna system is OK. EB

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: