LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
November 14, 2018, 08:17:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our HD Wildfeed/Backhauls Section >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=66.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I hook up my ICOM R-8500 to my C/Ku band bud?  (Read 330 times)
lyndx

« on: January 06, 2013, 05:12:16 PM »

My ICOM R-8500 can receive signals up to 1999 mhz. The highest frequency that I've ever received anything on is about 900 mhz. If I attached the side of the coax that doesn't pass DC from my C/Ku band antenna to the ICOM would I be able to receive any signals, even digital ones,  in the highest receiveable frequencies or would that require a different LNB? 

7 foot KTI dish, Von Weise acuator, Chaparral Corotor, Chaparral CR-10 (used as dishmover), Pansat 9500HDX. Located in Nassau County, Long Island,NY
lyndx
Chayim
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

The LNB is going to require power to operate - the DC is passed *to* the LNB, not *from* it.  It will convert whatever signal it receives from either 4GHz or 12GHz to the 1-2 GHz range.  Your R-8500 receiver alone will not know what to do with a digital signal.  What are you trying to pick up?  Maybe the guys who have worked in satellite broadcasting can tell you whether or not any of the audio out there is standard wide-band FM that your receiver could detect.

Chayim
KQ9K
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »

Like Chayim says, you might be able to detect a digital signal there, but not likely you can really do anything with it.  You would have to use ur sat rx to apply power to the lnb and use  a splitter that does NOT pass dc for your R-8500 to even try to detect something.  If you are using C-band, there might be some audio signals in the real old stuff that might be discernible.  Sorry, but I am not familiar with the old stuff.  Maybe someone else here can help you more.  E_V  k9bud

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
lyndx

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »

I was just curious about what was up there on those frequencies.

I read that you could use a receiver like the ICOM to measure SR of DVB signals but I didn't really understand where the ICOM would fit in the setup and how you use it for that purpose.

7 foot KTI dish, Von Weise acuator, Chaparral Corotor, Chaparral CR-10 (used as dishmover), Pansat 9500HDX. Located in Nassau County, Long Island,NY
lyndx
pan 226

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »

after passing the signal through a DC block to protect your ICOM you can then send the I and Q sub band information into a computer sound card which could possibly decode some information or if the Icom does not have an IQ if out put like the ten tec receiver then you could just try the audio direct to the sound card and try some different decode programs using your computer Your idea is perfectly reasonable given the wide band
with on a bud sat.  to start this just listen and hear the different types of signal s up there and do not forget to use USB and LSB to check for signals in the lower frequencies on the C band because 5 MHz or near there was used before and still may be used but remember that it was 2o years ago that I picked up those signals on that frequency while using a drake and connecting an R4 to the sub audio out put  good luck
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: