LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
December 16, 2018, 08:42:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our HD Wildfeed/Backhauls Section >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=66.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The BEST OTA antenna's, and those to avoid  (Read 1627 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 06:25:02 PM »

Quick update on my EZ HD Antenna.

When i originally installed this it was just a short 40-50 foot coax run to my garage and it worked excellent as i have said. Since then i split the signal and ran it into my home and into my basement. I chose to do this the easiest way possible one afternoon so i used an existing coax cable, but that meant i had to go with the split feed from my garage all the way to the opposite end of the house, then into the house and all the way back across to my basement tv. I estimate this 2nd coax run is more than 150 ft. Probably between closer to 175 ft. So when i got this done i found that the signal was just slightly weak enough on the 2nd (long) coax run to make a difference and i had a couple of the weaker channels drop out on the 2nd run. First coax run still worked fine. So i ended up installing a prototype sample pre-amp i got from Jeff at Manhattan Digital and viola! Perfect super strong signal on both coax runs now! I installed the pre-amp as close as i could get it to the antenna while still inside the garage so it is still about 25 ft away from the antenna, and the power supply for the pre amp is in the basement at the end of the long coax run.

Here is info on the pre-amp i am using. I hope someday soon this is released to the market as i sure like the sample i have:

http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=32566.0

Soon i will post my results on a new project where i will install 2 of these together, both pointing at 2 different TV markets in 2 different directions.

UPDATED: HERE IS THE THREAD WITH 2 OF THESE COMBINED:

http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=37512.0

grin
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:10:34 PM by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »

Update, today i installed a 2nd RCA ANT-571 in my home in MI.

Installed this one inside the attic of my 1 story ranch style home, works like a charm!

I absolutely recommend this antenna.

smiley
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:11:03 PM by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
dale661

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 11:45:09 PM »

I picked up a Clearstream 2v from Lowe's.  I haven't mounted it on the roof yet.  I have it on a patio mount with an RCA preamp and a unity gain distribution amp.  TV Fool says I could probably use a 30 db amp based on where it is located right now, but I would possibly gain about 8 db with it on the roof.  The strongest signals come in at about 96.  The mid ones come in about between 70 and 90.  The low powered stuff is in the 50's.  The lowest comes in from 50 miles away in the low 30's.

I'm going to eventually put it on the roof, but I'm not in a hurry to do it.   wink

I used to work at Comcast.  I work for Dish Network now.
techefta

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »

OTA Antennas that are working for me: (and all of them are currently in use)

HD-Stacker (Denny's Antenna Service) - used for Media Room Fresno Channels (or San Francisco when rotated)

Antennas Direct 91XG UHF combined with a VHF-High YA-1713 through an LNA200 Preamp - Fixed on Sacramento Channels for Media Room

Original Channel Master CM-4228 with improvised chicken wire reflector - Bedroom TV

Fracarro LP-345F log periodic (small and light but very strong directional signal) - Living Room TV

Combined with various Free to Air Satellite Receivers, ROKU 3 boxes, Amazon Fire TV Boxes, Media PC's, an NAS, and Blu Ray Players, what else do you need?
DAVE5

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »

Update, today i installed a 2nd RCA ANT-571 in my home in MI.

Installed this one inside the attic of my 1 story ranch style home, works like a charm!

I absolutely recommend this antenna.

Attic is a very bad place to install a TV antenna.  I have seen  a lot attic TV antenna get hit by lightning  starts the house on fire blows out AC receptacle looking for earth ground with lots of damage to other electronic equipment through out the house.  and if your not home you get a complete inside rain flood  as the roof burns off before the fire dept come puts out ashes and  fire dept  might  only save the basement. 
How do I know this I have installed a lot of new TV antennas outside  on rebuilt and repaired homes that burned  some of them to the ground

Take a look at the installation manual that came with the TV antenna  you will see that it shows the antenna outside grounded coax lightning arrestors  to the Main electrical service per NEC fire prevention code. 

From your Former TV antenna installer that seen this way too many times. and Yes the insurance company does not pay  full value for the contents It  will cost you a lot of your own money and still never get the collectable back and a lot of grief from the sad wife cherished treasures destroyed Plus never get it  back  exactly back to way it was before the lightning strike

This also applies to BUD or even Pizza dish  these need to be properly  grounded too

Dave

smiley
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »

Here is one i can recommend:

GE 33692 Attic Mount HD Antenna - Long Range - Compact Design with Mount for VHF / UHF Channels - 60 Mile Range

Review thread here:

http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=47819.0

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: