LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
July 22, 2019, 03:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ASC1 Positioner New Firmware + Loader/Editor 2.0  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=36472.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATSC 3.0  (Read 5385 times)
Jimlw1
Know's FTA

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:34 AM »

At my age i don't sweat the small stuff - if it happens, it happens - if it don't happen, then it don't happen.

If i'm still with it, maybe i will see things i have dreamed about, but NO lost sleep here wondering what will or will not happen.

Go with the flow - buy if in range, if not then don't buy.  To me, it's just that simple - NO one tells me what i do or do not need !

Wake up and smell the roses - unless they are Frozen or Dried-DEAD.

Jimlw1
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 07:03:06 PM »

Article about ATSC 3.0 at next weeks NAB show. Just some FYI.

Code:
https://www.tvtechnology.com/show-news/atsc-3-0-gets-multiple-platforms-at-2019-nab-show

EDIT......... 40 markets to have ATSC 3.0 deployed by 2020.... 
Code:
https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/atsc-3-0-to-be-deployed-in-40-u-s-markets-by-end-of-year
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:18:55 AM by digitaldan » Logged
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »

Nothing really new.
A list of major markets has been provided that are expected to have atsc 3.0 by the END of 2020. Most likely though, at least a few if not many of these markets will not have atsc 3.0 until sometime in 2021. The frequency repack will not complete until the middle of year 2020. Some of these markets cannot start the transition to atsc 3.0 until the frequency repack completes.

ATSC 3.0 is dead until tuners that support it are available.

Here is a list of the markets that are supposed to have atsc 3.0 by the END of 2020:

New York, NY
    Los Angeles, CA
    Chicago, IL
    Philadelphia, PA
    Washington, DC
    Boston, MA
    Atlanta, GA
    Tampa-St.Petersburg-Sarasota, FL
    Minneapolis - St. Paul, MN
    Miami - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Denver, CO
    Cleveland-Akron, OH
    Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA
    St. Louis, MO
    Charlotte, NC
    Indianapolis, IN
    San Diego, CA
    Hartford-New Haven, CT
    Cincinnati, OH
    Milwaukee, WI
    Greenville-Spartanburg, SC - Asheville, NC
    Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, VA
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Albuquerque - Santa Fe, NM
    Grand Rapids - Kalamazoo, MI
    Memphis, TN
    Buffalo, NY
    Providence - New Bedford, RI
    Little Rock - Pine Bluff, AR
    Mobile, AL - Pensacola, FL
    Albany-Schenectady - Troy, NY
    Flint-Saginaw - Bay City, MI
    Omaha, NE
    Charleston - Huntington, WV
    Springfield, MO
    Rochester, NY
    Syracuse, NY
    Chattanooga, TN
    Charleston, SC
    Burlington, VT - Plattsburgh, NY
    Davenport, IA - Moline, IL
    Santa Barbara - Santa Maria - San Luis Obispo, CA
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »

Code:
https://advanced-television.com/2019/04/08/us-proposes-atsc-3-0-as-digital-standard/

Worldwide sounds intriging......
Code:
https://www.broadcastbeat.com/2019-nabshow-atsc-3-0-deploying-worldwide/

digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 08:12:08 AM »

TiVo on to something it appears....  Just because we don't hear about new tuners for the new system does not mean they aren't working on having something soon. I am of the belief that all at once with no warning we will have several tuner options for the new system in the next 365 days.Just my humble opinion. At least TiVo owners appear to be covered.

Code:
http://zatznotfunny.com/2019-04/tivo-atsc-3/

Code:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-first-next-gen-ota-atsc-3-0-tuner-is-being-demoed-at-nab

EDIT: Added second link.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:19:02 AM by digitaldan » Logged
Jeff S.
Honored Member

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »

We should have our ATSC 3.0 dual tuner unit out by late August 2019.
This will be a Android 9 Certified unit in Linux.
Casey will have the specification & feature list shortly.

The triple will follow of S2/ATSC/IP.

Sorry for the delay on the new 4K S2 unit. The SW is still not proper yet!

Regards,

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-Digital
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 07:52:50 AM »

Here is another angle for the new system. Plans for literately connecting to cars and upgrading the on board computers. Now that alone would be cool. Never have to visit the dealer again for a computer programming change!

Code:
https://www.wileyconnect.com/home/2019/2/14/on-the-move-in-2019-atsc-30-and-connected-cars

Titanium
Honored Member

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 02:59:28 PM »

My two cents...

Yes, ATSC 3.0 will be available in many markets by 2020 and some early adopters and techno geeks will jump right in and buy the latest gadget available to be cutting edge. The majority of OTA viewers are cost conscious cord cutters or multiple TV households and they will be motivated by the termination of the ATSC 1.0 signals.

In the early years of dual 3.0/1.0 illumination, the majority of 3.0 viewers will be those who must purchase a new TV and it will include a built-in ATSC 3.0 tuner by default. With the extended dual illumination of 5 years, likely the the rush to buy a TV with ATSC 3.0 tuners or a converter STB will be when the ATSC 1.0 signal goes dark.

People change when it is forced on them to do so...

Titanium Satellite
Brian Gohl - AI6US
Proud to Support LegalFreeTo Air
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »

My two cents...

People change when it is forced on them to do so...

100% agree with this.

agree

And this sounds like me too .....

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2019, 06:26:53 PM »

The only ones promoting ATSC 3.0 right now are trying to make money from it.

There is very little reason or incentive for the average consumer to pay for this new system. For the first 5 years and maybe longer, most ATSC 3.0 programming will be identical to what is available for ATSC 1.0. ATSC 3.0 will favor the advertisers, and can invade the privacy of the consumer.

Here are a couple of video links that demonstrate ATSC 3.0 capabilities.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWuqtV6TefY
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHhRQ_Z-4Ss

Jeff S.
Honored Member

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »

Wow, such negativity again. First ATSC 3.0 was just a scam and now the feds are infiltrating into your household. I'm not sure how that can happen since this is a receive only system.

I guess you failed to miss the point. The latest report 1.2 million people turned off their satellite and cable system this last 1st quarter. They are switching to a cord-cutting system which is just changing carriers to a new pay service that is cheaper. What they are doing is purchasing an outdoor antenna to go along with this system. The ATSC 3.0 system is not about commercials, that corrupt game has already started by our corrupt government. It is very sad that we do not have any input on this system. We cannot control that anymore until we get rid of the political parties, which control how the commissioners are appointed at the FCC.

The real question is, when people go purchase a new tuner box, should they purchase an existing ATSC 1.0 box. That would be foolish wouldn't it. Despite all of your conspiracy theories our intentions from the start is to promote the future of OTA and bringing down people's costs with over-priced services. Yes, we are in business to make money, but we have to diversify in order to survive in this FTA market. 

Our box will costs less than most ATSC 1.0 boxes on the market today, plus we will be Android 9 certified while the others are not. It is what the consumers want!

If you think bringing new products to the market is easy and cheap, guess again. This is not an easy system as we are still working on this product and a lower costs USB unit. There are always hills to climb and now with the possibility of tariffs on the horizon, it just creates another hill for us to climb!

We will continue to bring in products as this box was the stepping stone for a future triple play S2,IP, ATSC 3.0 box. We just had to start at this point with ATSC 3.0 because it made sense!

We again give thanks to the people on this forum for their kind words and support to us and the industry!

Regards,

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-Digital 
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 01:52:00 PM »

Jeff, I wish this forum had a "like" button for posts. I for one will purchase an ATSC 3.0 tuner device when it comes out, and if it has TWO Atsc 3.0 tuners, all the better! I for one appreciate your efforts, and hope it's successful.

I'm not sure why so many people think that ATSC 3.0 "is nothing but a scam", but I pulled the plug on Dish Network several years ago, and am outside antenna only, with a Tivo Roamio for recording.

I can't wait for ATSC 3.0 to come out!

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »

I don't think anyone here has called ATSC 3.0 a scam or said the feds are infiltrating into your household. Reading what is actually written is difficult for some I guess.

ATSC 3.0 is designed to be interactive, which means it can gather or log personal data. A .pdf about this is attached.

Jeff S.
Honored Member

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »

I understand El where you are coming from. If the broadcaster sets the standard and if you are using the IP section to run ATSC 3.0.. Again these are standards from 2017 and the ATSC consortium only recommends these standards. The only thing we have to abide from is the standards of the FCC with the early warning weather and amber alert system. Along with the other standards previously set  in ATSC 1.0 like closed captioning pass through.

You cannot get your data stolen if you are only receiving the signal from the tower. We are not adapting any standard to perform this. Nor do we have to where the data of your watching habits report back to the broadcasters. Even Sinclair in not even adapting that model! Not to say it will not happen in the future, if the consumer allows it. 

We are running Android because consumers want Netflix and Amazon in 4k. The tuner section is a totally separate media from the IP section.

Some people will sign-on to Nielson or other programming tracking services because the want the consensus to know which programs are important to them. Again it is all voluntary!

Jeff S.
Manhattan-Digital
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 08:55:09 AM »

I don't think anyone here has called ATSC 3.0 a scam or said the feds are infiltrating into your household. Reading what is actually written is difficult for some I guess.

ATSC 3.0 is designed to be interactive, which means it can gather or log personal data. A .pdf about this is attached.

Your cell phone already knows all your data and has for years. So has Face Book and all other so called "Social" networks. So what is the "Scare" tactic with the  announcement that they will log data??? I just don't understand. First there was a cost issue. Besides Manhattan, LG and others have announced that they will support the system as it come out in the areas it appears as it appears. Also a single tuner can be used in conjunction with a network and provide ATSC 3.0 throughout the house and or property depending on ones own network So if you have a smart TV, no worries as it hooks through the network to the tuner. Then there is the old "They will carry the old signal for years" remark. Although somewhat true, stations all over the place such as PBS, Low Power, and stations that can't get to an agreement for signal carriage are getting a waiver that allows them to "Flash cut" straight to the new system. So some channels will be missed as that happens unless you have a tuner. Do you need one now? Do you need one ever?? Depends on what you want and your local. Already here in the South Bend Indiana market the frequency change is well underway. The stations are getting new transmitters and getting the capabilities for the new system. Pretty stupid to buy a new transmitter and not upgrade. That's like buying a 5 year old computer! So this next year, Physical year meaning this time next year we all will see the changes and my guess is with 50. dollar tuners being tossed out there that will unlock the new system, the changeover will happen faster than we all care to admit. JMHO. Have a good one!
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: