LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
August 04, 2020, 10:04:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: STAB HH-90 Ku Band Dish Motor ON SALE  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50773.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATSC 3.0  (Read 28194 times)
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2020, 07:01:45 PM »

Well, that is code for we will double the number of commercials.

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2020, 11:08:40 PM »

My guess is they will encrypt some channels to recover costs, and then have added profit after cost recovery. Currently only One channel has to be unencrypted.

A lot more has been said so far than is been done in the ATSC 3.0 area, and it looks like this will continue for 2020. Sinclair said at 2019 CES that 26 markets would have ATSC 3.0 before the end of 2019. I think they ended up with less than a handful of ATSC 3.0 stations instead, with some of them in test mode. Sinclair talked a good game in 2019, but accomplished next to nothing.

Code:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-plans-to-launch-next-gen-atsc-3-0-over-the-air-tv-in-26-markets-in-2019/

I have seen some products for ATSC 3.0 that do not exist yet, so no change in that area from 2019 either. An ATSC 1.0/3.0 tablet is shown in the link. The price for it that is shown does not matter because the tablet is not available.
Code:
https://shop.geniatech.us/product/tpc2150k/

It will not be long before 1/6th of 2020 is in the history books.

It is foolish for companies to announce or advertise things they do not have.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:20:43 AM by elbandido » Logged
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2020, 07:22:27 AM »

ATSC 3.0 Tuner Article... We should see them anytime now.

Code:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/atsc-3-0-ota-tuners-will-be-released-in-the-us-in-the-next-few-days/

Also just in the last month, ATSC 3.0 as a worldwide standard. Something some said would never happen. Things are changing.  Chances are we will see the new TV and Tuners after the yearly Super Bowel Sale the stores have every year on TV sets. New TV sets are released in March every year. Six more weeks. That said, the makers have announced 20 models will have the new tuner this year. There is not 20 models that are considered Top of the Line. So that leads me to believe that every budget, (Or almost every budget), should be able to afford one. Seeing how prices have dropped on TV sets, It only stands to reason that the new tuner models will simply be considered "Normal" pricing. JMHO.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:33:29 AM by digitaldan » Logged
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »

LOL
The article in the link you posted was dated January 2, 2020. This was before CES, and before the 20 Next Gen televisions were announced. Sort of like a firecracker that fizzled.

Buy one of those new 8K ATSC 1.0/3.0 televisions and tell us how cheap they are.  Which one(s) out of the 20 television models will be priced at less than $1,000.00 U.S.? Which models out of the 20 are not Top of the Line?

Something else for ATSC 3.0 will probably be demonstrated at the NAB Show, April 18-22, 2020 in Las Vegas‎. Maybe Manhattan will reveal the 4 ATSC 1.0/3.0 models they are supposed to produce this year at NAB? We will see...
Keith Brannen

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2020, 02:15:39 PM »

The ITU recommended ATSC 3.0 as one of the ITU recommended standards, not the only one. It doesn't mean that it will be used everywhere. DVB-T2 is already a recommended standard, and it is expected that DVB-I will also become a recommended standard. So, it is not really that big of a deal, and doesn't force anyone to use it.

see:

Code:
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020/01/06/atsc-3-0-recommended-by-itu-just-as-they-did-dvb-t2/

Plus, I can tell you I certainly don't see many, if any, stations in Canada adopting ATSC 3.0. It was bad enough trying to get channels to switch to ATSC 1.0, with the loss of many network stations along the way (where I live we lost two, including our CBC station, as well as signal loss of semi-distant channels. With the same antenna, I used to get around ten channels, now I get five).

Due to the CRTC rules, there are few, if any, sub-channels in all of Canada (last I heard there may be two), so certainly see no benefit for any channel to switch to ATSC 3.0.

AZBox Ultra HD + Amiko Mini HD265 + EMP Centauri 8x1 + 4x1 DiSEqC + 22KHz switches
Ariza 80cm: 30w / Fortec 80cm: 65w / Ariza 80cm: 89w, 97w, 103w, 110w  Fortec 80cm: 119w, 125w / Star Choice 75e: 83w, 87w, 97w / SC 60e: 87w, 91w / SC 60e: 95w, 99w / SC 60e: 123w, 127W / Ariza 24x18: 121w / SC 60e: 107.3W, 111.1W (Shaw Direct subscription + FTA)
Avatar: 2008 setup 61.5w, 72w or 74w (selectable), 79w, 87w
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2020, 01:29:23 PM »

It looks like there will not be any ATSC 3.0 products from SiliconDust this year.
From their forum:
We're keeping an eye on things. Right now I believe the count is at 4 stations on air in the entire country, and only one of them is carrying something that isn't just a simulcast of programming that is already available on a traditional ATSC broadcast. There's been some talk of other stations that are planning to go on air, but talk is cheap, and equipment upgrades are not, so we'll see how many actually do it.

Nothing from Tablo either:
Nuvyyo says they will continue to make their current line of DVRs but are looking into a device that would support both the current over-the-air TV standard and the next-gen ATSC 3.0 standard. Nuvyyo even went as far as to hint that they may have something to show off at the Consumer Electronics Show in 2021.
Code:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/tablo-dvr-maker-is-looking-into-an-atsc-3-0-dvr-but-not-yet/

TiVo has shown some proof of concept products, but it does not look like they will have anything for 2020 either.

Even if ATSC 3.0 devices were readily available, what would you watch with it that you cannot get using ATSC 1.0? Unless something changes pretty quick, ATSC 3.0 for 2020 will not be much different than ATSC 3.0 in 2019.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2020, 12:23:01 PM »

Fake ATSC 3.0 boxes are being advertised on Alibaba. These boxes may also be advertised on other sites such as Ebay or Amazon. Examine the specs of any ATSC device closely before you buy it!

MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »

Fake ATSC 3.0 boxes are being advertised on Alibaba. These boxes may also be advertised on other sites such as Ebay or Amazon. Examine the specs of any ATSC device closely before you buy it!

I'm surprised they missed their chance to add a 5,000 mile indoor antenna to the ad! LOL

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »

I could not find a 5,000 mile antenna listed. Perhaps you would be interested in a 980 mile model instead?

I am starting to see a lot of ATSC/DVB-T antennas for sale. These antennas will have similar frequencies that are used in North America, but almost all of the ATSC/DVB-T antennas I have seen are at least missing the bottom VHF tv band for North America.

ATSC 3.0 products are high.  Current prices for ATSC 3.0 usb devices  are around $1,000.00 and up.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

Boink Boink Boink du du du du

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2020, 07:57:11 PM »

Thank you - Seriously - for this Public Service Announcement.

We need to protect each other from this Fake stuff.

agree

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2020, 03:20:23 PM »

It will probably be a good idea Not To Purchase anything for ATSC 3.0 that does not have Dolby Atmos capability.

Sony will have the least expensive ATSC 3.0 televisions this year unless something else becomes available that we do not know about.  All of the other announced ATSC televisions will be 8K which makes the purchase price in the thousands of dollars.

These pre-order prices are available from Value Electronics - 35 Popham Rd, Scarsdale, NY 
Full HDMI 2.1, 48Gbs

ATSC 3.0 tuner built-in 

New slim wall mount ready

X900H Series 55", 65", 75", 85"

Prices

85X900H: $3,499.99

75X900H: $2,199.99

65X900H: $1,399.99

55X900H: $999.99

Early May launch

Looks like the cheapest ATSC 3.0 tv this year will cost about $1,000.00 U.S.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2020, 12:00:07 AM »

More high power channel shuffling for Atlanta.
Earlier, WXIA became a sub-channel of WATL.
Now, WATL is a sub-channel of WXIA

Here are the new channels:
ATSC 8VSB 195 MHz
11-1 WXIA-TV
11-2 WATL-SD
11-3 Justice
11-4 Quest

ATSC 8VSB 539 MHz
36-1 WATL
36-2 ThisTV
36-3 Antenna
11-11  WXIA-TV

The explanation for putting WXIA on 539 MHz was to supply better coverage for that channel.
The explanation for putting WATL on WXIA was programming was lost for the Weather Channel, so WATL moved into the sub-channel formerly used by the Weather Channel.

Whether WXIA and/or WATL will switch to ATSC 3.0 soon is unknown. But markets that are transitioning to ATSC 3.0 can expect to see duplicate channels like this due to the FCC 3.0/1.0 dual illumination rule for high power stations.

These channel changes show that markets can expect to lose some ATSC 1.0 channels because of dual illumination. However, ATSC 3.0 has the capability of producing more sub-channels than ATSC 1.0.  So what is lost on the ATSC 1.0 side could be replaced on the ATSC 3.0 side. It will really depend on what the station owner wants to do with the new ATSC 3.0 sub-channels, and whether or not they are encrypted.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2020, 06:29:05 PM »

An interesting product from BitRouter is the ATSC3pro with a list price of $3,995. It is basically a compact Intel PC running Linux with an external ATSC 3.0/1.0 usb tuner. The ATSC3pro is designed for the commercial environment, and comes with one usb tuner, that is based on the Sony demod. The ATSC3pro can support at least 4 usb tuners. Additional tuners are available for $450.00 per tuner.
A short video of this product is in the link.

Code:
https://bitrouter.com/products/atsc3pro/

BitRouter is expected to release a product named the Zapperbox in the third quarter of 2020. This product will be designed for the consumer, and should cost somewhat less than the ATSC3pro.

Prices for ATSC 3.0 tuners and devices will likely stay high for the rest of 2020.
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2020, 06:45:20 AM »

Vegas will be ATSC 3.0 in April.

Code:
https://news3lv.com/news/local/do-you-watch-ksnv-news-3-over-the-air-youll-need-to-rescan-on-or-after-april-7

Code:
https://news3lv.com/news/local/next-gen-tv-allows-viewers-to-see-what-they-want-when-they-want

Finally it starts. Now we will really see how long this transition takes. My guess is it will happen faster than anyone thinks because of the need to survive in the broadcast world. Just my humble opinion of course. But that said we all have seen throughout history what happens to those that refuse to change. They wind up closing because they can't compete. That is why I feel that this will move fast. But who knows? March Madness has started or will start any day now. All TV sets are being marked down so much. That in its self tells a story. LG, Samsung, and Sony, are all releasing TV with the new tuner. One of them, (Can't remember off hand), will offer a tuner in the low line OLED as small as 47 inches so yes even us little guy will be able to afford one. I spent 1500 on my set and it looks like that price will get you a Next Gen set. Have to wait and see. But one thing for sure. Vegas gets it next month!
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2020, 06:42:02 PM »

Some 60 markets are advertised to have one ATSC 3.0 station working by the end of 2020. This seems like a tall order since almost 1/4 of 2020 is gone, but it could still happen.

Put simply, paying a thousand dollars or more for a television that is ATSC 3.0 is not something that a lot of people will be willing to do. You may have money to burn and can easily afford 1500 dollars for a television just to watch a new channel at some point in time, but many others do not.

Anyone watching ATSC 3.0 in 2020 will be considered an early adapter, more or less a tester. This will not change until the price of ATSC 3.0 televisions and stand alone tuners drop in price by a very large margin. The price for ATSC 3.0 products is not expected to change until at least 2021 and beyond.

The North American Broadcasters (NAB)  will have a conference in Las Vegas in mid-April unless something changes it.  There may be something new at NAB that is reasonably priced for ATSC 3.0. I think Manhattan and some other companies are supposed to unveil new ATSC 3.0 products at NAB this year, but that will probably turn out like the previous ATSC 3.0 products and exist only on paper or in print. We will see...
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: