LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
November 14, 2018, 08:48:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our HD Wildfeed/Backhauls Section >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=66.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dont throw your gear away.  (Read 301 times)
skymaster

« on: May 08, 2016, 06:16:26 AM »

Skymaster here.
Just wanted to remind fellow hams to not give up on dog like repairs.
I purchased an esr meter while back
And INCREASED my repairs 100 percent.
When other hams throw it out I repair it.
80 percent of the time is capacitor problems.electrolytic that is.they dry out open or short.or become "leaky".
I've worked in repair for over 30 years and most fixes dealt with replacing the electrolitics.
The esr meter checks equivalent series resistance of a capacitor either in circuit or out.I have fixed more equipment that other techs have given up on just BECAUSE the electrolytic needed to be replaced.techs think just because it's low voltage semiconductors that the caps will last forever. Not true.remember if it has ANY age to it a capacitor can go bad even in a relatively short time spongedepending on how the equipment wa treated.
Happy hunting!!!!! Skymaster.
I

6 ft dish , openbox z5,amiko alien receiver, glorystar dish,modified hughes net dish,10 ft wineguard mesh motorized for c band with xbox,modified wild blue dish,
if i passed out on my dish, i would be beamed all thru the universe.
the pic is  my grandson.:) he is actually wondering why i have a low quality signal on my receiver.:).grandpa twist the lnbf!!!!

future:tbs box usb to satellite receiver,.linkbox 9000 i hd local, 8 more ku dishes unless i can build or find a 6 ft ku.
PapaJohn

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 05:48:24 AM »

I'm looking at esr meters trying to pick what kind I want to buy....
what brand did you get, and how well is it with "in Circuit" testing?

PapaJohn
skymaster

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:11:25 PM »

papajohn, i bought one on an auctiion site but it never tested in circuit , so i built my own after the one peter parker built .he is an australian ham. just google esr plans and build it. one chip, a meter, some resistors ,2 leads,if i remember a couple of diodes too.

my home built one even tests ceramics to a point.but in circuit is 100 %. i used to do tv radio servicing when indiana was required to have state licenses. did alot of dog repairs other shops couldnt figure out. the lowly electrolytic cap did them in.back then i used an analog ohm meter with a 9 volt battery.found alot of leakiy caps that way.

6 ft dish , openbox z5,amiko alien receiver, glorystar dish,modified hughes net dish,10 ft wineguard mesh motorized for c band with xbox,modified wild blue dish,
if i passed out on my dish, i would be beamed all thru the universe.
the pic is  my grandson.:) he is actually wondering why i have a low quality signal on my receiver.:).grandpa twist the lnbf!!!!

future:tbs box usb to satellite receiver,.linkbox 9000 i hd local, 8 more ku dishes unless i can build or find a 6 ft ku.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: