LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
November 14, 2018, 07:38:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our HD Wildfeed/Backhauls Section >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=66.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lose 1 of my OTA channels when i run 12v lights in my garage  (Read 379 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« on: November 07, 2016, 07:48:17 PM »

I may have posted this already but i cant find it and i never figured this out.

On my OTA i have no problem with signal on local channel 12 (WJRT) and sub channels. Works great and great signal.

The problem is when i run some 12v lights in my garage. These are LED lights connected to a 12v battery i charge on my solar panels.

As soon as i turn these lights on signal drops to nothing, just on this one channel and its subchannels. All others work fine.

This affects 2 different tv sets connected to this OTA antenna, the one in the garage and one in the house.

Anyone have any idea on why this is and how i can fix it?

Obviously interference of some kind, but i cant understand why.

Thanks in advance.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 12:20:25 AM »

How is this interference even  possible?
The antenna is on the roof (or at least some distance from the lights), and the signal from the antenna is ran through a shielded cable.
LED is short for light emitting diode, which is not really known for transmitting radio frequencies.
So how is this interference to 1 tv channel possible? I have no clue!

I would start by looking at every component of the led lighting system, and remove one component at a time until the interference stopped. This would be the only way I would know to deal with this issue without using a frequency counter or other rf equipment. Solve by decreasing variables:  Remove one light at a time, disconnect the switch and manually turn light(s) on/off, disconnect the solar panel...etc. Test after every item is removed. This would be the only way I know to find it.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:47:11 AM »

A quick google search of 'led lights tv interference' gives tons of hits...so it must be fairly common. I remember BITD that some old flourescent lights (ballasts?) played heck with ham/cb radio. An electric fence arcing or an old  Volkswagon Beetle would tear them up too.  Not to mention the arc welders at my nearby steel mill rolleyes

Evidently, your channel 12 is the channel nearest in freq to the interference. Some sites suggested trying different bulbs since earlier led bulbs were problematic.

Maybe an RF Choke on the antenna coax would help? (grounded wire wrapped several times around the coax) Cheap to try,anyway.

BTW, if  you have neighbors nearby...it may be bleeding on them as well.

If a frog had wings,he wouldn't bump his butt when he tried to fly.
I wouldn't shoot a rat that was trying to get out of the city!
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »

Channel 12 is VHF and is susceptible to electrical interference. Anything that puts out dirty power (such as many led lights) will affect it.

LED bulbs have electronic circuitry inside, and many of them cause this issue. I had the same problem with a car battery charger I bought from Harbor Freight. It broadcast interference over 250 feet to the edge of my property! Unplug it, and bam, everything came back. I also had an issue with my original Dell laptop brick power supply. I replaced it, and that also fixed the issue.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
RCC
Know's FTA

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 01:39:22 PM »

Turn the light off.😁 someone had to say it. Person may could try a .01 capacitor from each side of the DC leads to ground to see if it would help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:29:13 PM by RCC » Logged
RCC
Know's FTA

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »

If that lighting system has been in long, you may try checking the connectors to make sure the connections are still OK. Seen some crazy stuff caused by bad dc connections in my line of work.
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »

I would think more of trying some type of rf choke, maybe Radio Shack has something. Also, i agree the troubleshooting recommended, remove one bulb at a time to see if it is just one. Hope they are screwed in a socket! What all is activated when you turn them on? Is the solar panel charging all the time? Just grasping at ideas to try. E_V

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
Bill

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »

Are these dimmable LEDs?
If so it could be because of the frequency the LEDs are running at.
Another manufacturer might be different.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »

These LED lights are not dimmable. They are actually plucked from a couple different old low voltage landscape lights. In fact the entire fixture w/circuitry and all are mounted in the roof of the garage, and connected to a 12v battery with clamps when i want to use them. Eventually i will make this permanent and mount a on/off switch and a couple more lights, so i need to solve this.

So far, looks like the best option from your guys advice (which i appreciate) is to try the RF choke. I do not know what that is or how to do it, but at least it is something i can look in to.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
mopat

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »

Channel 12 is around 200 MHz. and LED lights can radiate in that frequency range.

Is your OTA signal path proper?  No unconnected ports on a 4-way splitter? Proper terminations? Grounded antenna?

Can you describe your solar panel charging system and all parts it is composed of?  Is there a charge controller?
What LED bulbs are they? MR16?

My guess would be to change the bulbs to a different brand.

WS9036 dish, Spitfire Lnb, Powermax SG9120 rotor, .
10' solid dish with C1-PLL, TBS6982 card running SmartDVB
armadillo_115
Know's FTA

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »

The problem should be obvious...

You got the garage too close to the house!  lol

If a frog had wings,he wouldn't bump his butt when he tried to fly.
I wouldn't shoot a rat that was trying to get out of the city!
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: