LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
November 14, 2018, 07:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ASC1 Positioner New Firmware + Loader/Editor 2.0  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=36472.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new OTA DVR's on the cheap.  (Read 484 times)
danristheman
LFTA Legend

« on: December 14, 2016, 04:47:53 AM »

I recently bought from amazon 2 ota dvr's and a IDE to USB converter I wanted to show some pics off to you guys. Both are around 30 bucks so and eumatic and mediasonic 130 so far have been doing pretty good compare to what I had before. Now I can record OTA with these DVR's and they are handy. Tell me what you guys think?
joeroscoe1957
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:02:36 PM »

Thanks Dan .    Very interested in ota dvr' s .    Do these perform like dvr' s or more like pvr' s ?    Also wondering about the memory capacity works .  I've been holding out , waiting to check out the new Manhattan receiver with ota , before I buy anything  , but  $30 sounds like a new toy .
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:11:32 PM »

Been thinking about getting something like that for myself.

I see in the pics one of them is a Homeworx.

How do the 2 you have compare to the ones in this thread:

http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=27348.0

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:14:21 PM by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
danristheman
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 11:15:09 PM »

Whats the difference between pvr and dvr? Over the air does pretty well so far. For 30 dollars its not bad deal. Eumatic is slightly better than the homeworx 130 but they run about the same few quirks but not bad. If you don't want to pay subscription fees or internet bill for channel master and 300 bucks its worth it.
sprocket

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 09:37:01 PM »

I bought a similar converter box at Walmart awhile back. I think the model number is DTA880. It's around $50 on their site but in the store it was $30. It seems like the first 2 or 3 minutes on the start of the program was cut off. Not really sure about that though. The recordings looked real good to me. I normally use Mythtv so I haven't played with converter box to much. I forgot to mention I never tried a USB stick on it, I have a 2 Terabyte USB powered Seagate drive on it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 09:50:17 PM by sprocket » Logged
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »

Whats the difference between pvr and dvr?

PVR = Personal Video Recorder

DVR = Digital Video Recorder

Don't know why some ads say PVR, others DVR.

They are the same thing!

smiley

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Jeff S.
Honored Member

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »

Casey,

The difference between PVR and DVR, there are small differences mostly on how they are programmed.

DVR requires licensing from the corrupt people at TIVO who was allowed to license the English Language.

PVR is a free licensed SW that was devised from several companies in Europe. So that is why we use on our boxes. Otherwise you are paying about $2.00 per box for the license, if they even allow you to have DVR in your box.

In regards to cheap converter boxes. Yes, they are dumping these on the market at the H-264 formats are not going to work on ATSC 3.0 so that is why they are dumping them. I saw them for $20.00 on Amazon, but understand the recording formats are not that great. But they will work fine for programming.

Understand that you will need an H-265 chipset in HEVC to run ATSC 3.0.. That will cost consumers about $5.00 per box for licensing. What a great country we live in using a standard that costs us money to give to the Asian companies!

Stay Warm Everyone!!

Jeff S.
Manhattan-Digital
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »

Thank you Jeff for that information, i was not aware of any of that!

Hard to believe Tivo could get away with that, well now i know why we call it PVR in the FTA industry.

05confused

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:11:45 PM »

I almost bought one of these cheap OTA PVR boxes this week. Was looking at the iView3500II and also the Homeworkx180. But i did not like the EPG on these, as far as i could tell they only shows one channel at a time. Compared with my Linkbox 9000i LOCAL which shows 5 channels all at once, and i can scroll for other channels through the whole list, always showing 5 channels..

Also i recently found out i can record on my Linkbox LOCAL and then pop out the USB stick and stick it right in my TV and i can play the recording right on the tv with pause, rewind, etc..  This is really great for me because i dont have OTA in every room right now, so often i record in one room like my office to then watch on my main TV.

Also i got a high speed USB 3.0 flash drive to do my recording. The HD stuff we all like to record can sometimes be a problem recording on a USB 2.0 flash drive, as i read these were never meant for the high speeds with the very high bitrate.

jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 03:30:24 PM »

Your are correct about having to move from ch to ch to see what is playing using my iview 3500, but it does give detailed info on a given program[as long as ststion transmits it] and my Linkbox detailed info for a given program does not work.  Don't know if that is common or just on my box.   Jess out in California,

9ft. c/ku Mesh button hook hor to hor. 4dtv922 slaved pansat2500,9500, az prem hd, and a cw3000 at the end of the loop. other boxes in the closet. got the 9500 from Hypermegasat! Can look from 55.5 to 139 west.
danristheman
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 02:46:57 AM »

So was I stupid for buying those DVR's? I wanted t be able to record OTA programming?
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »

So was I stupid for buying those DVR's? I wanted t be able to record OTA programming?

No, not at all. If you want to record OTA that is a great way to do it for sure.

I would buy one myself but i have the Linkbox LOCAL so no need for one.

grin

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: