LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
June 19, 2018, 09:12:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Updated IPTV List for Manhattan RC-1978 HD 012418 >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=47345.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of TV Stations Going Dark After Auction Grows  (Read 651 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« on: October 30, 2017, 06:44:27 PM »

FCC - Number of TV Stations Going Dark After Auction Grows
Dozen who promised to exit air have; more who signaled they weren't are

10/27/2017 1:36 PM Eastern
By: John Eggerton

The dozen stations who told the FCC they were shuttering their stations after they got incentive auction payouts for their spectrum, have turned in their licenses, plus more than a dozen others, according to an FCC source.

The 12 who definitely said they were going off the air after they got their multimillion-dollar auction payouts were required to do so by Oct. 25 and, according to the source, everybody did.

But an additional 14 TV stations (up from a dozen a few weeks back) have also gone off the air as of that date, according to FCC figures. Those were stations that checked the box saying they planned to share, but for some reason decided not to and turned in their licenses instead.

There were 175 stations that got payouts--over $10 billion--for various moving and exiting options in the auction, with 30 of those getting paid to move from a UHF to a VHF channel or from a high to a low V, which left 145 who opted to give up their spectrum.

Of those the 12 who said they were going off the air had to do so by that Oct 25 date. The remaining 133 said they were giving up their spectrum but were planning to stay on the air by sharing spectrum with another station in the market ..................

Read Full Article Here:

Code:
http://www.multichannel.com/news/fcc/number-tvs-going-dark-after-auction-grows/416199

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »

What a worthless article. It doesn't even give the call letters of the additional stations that went off the air!
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »

What a worthless transition! (Unless you are the Government, then you got a lot of money!)

To date, there is no mandate for new televisions to have ASTC 3.0 tuners, and the transition to ATSC 3.0 by the television stations is voluntary. The only thing to date that has came out of this mess is a bunch of expensive equipment being thrown away.

Recently, I helped move a tv transmitter and some of its associated equipment that had been rendered obsolete in the repack. These transmitters and filters are built and tuned for a very specific frequency. They cannot be adjusted for other tv frequencies, so they go in the trash.

I talked to the station engineer while this equipment was being moved. He has no plans to transition to ATSC 3.0 and he also mentioned there are around 30 months left in the repack.  We also talked a bit about the first transition to ATSC 1.0, and he showed me some of the equipment that was used to transmit both modes during the first transition. It cost the station a lot of money to do the first transition.

Attached are pictures of some of the tv equipment going to the trash. I think the piece shown in the picture cost several thousand dollars. But what is not shown is the tv transmitter. Its replacement cost is around $500,000 in U.S. dollars, so that amount of money is going to the trash for that one item. Several items have to be trashed when the frequency is changed, including the antenna. You gotta ask: Who pays for this? It really makes me sick to see high grade electronics treated like this.

mopat

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »

I think this FCC PDF has a list of stations here:

Code:
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-17-314A2.pdf

WS9036 dish, Spitfire Lnb, Powermax SG9120 rotor, .
10' solid dish with C1-PLL, TBS6982 card running SmartDVB
ftasami

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:26:04 AM »

Costs big bucks to run a TV station. Ad revenue keeps it alive. If the market is light financially they go dark.  coffeeread
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: