LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
August 18, 2018, 04:02:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ASC1 Positioner New Firmware + Loader/Editor 2.0  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=36472.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC Eliminates Main Studio Rule  (Read 2711 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« on: October 30, 2017, 07:48:54 PM »

FCC Eliminates Main Studio Rule
Repeal of 80-year-old rule seeks to reduce regulatory burdens and cost for broadcasters

October 24, 2017
By Michael Balderston

WASHINGTON—A move that has been much debated in recent months has been made official, as a 3-2 vote by the FCC has eliminated the broadcast main studio rule.

The main studio rule had been in place for nearly 80 years and required AM, FM and TV stations to have a main studio located or near its local community. At the time, the rule was meant to facilitate input from community members and the station’s participation in community activities.

The FCC, in its official announcement, said that it recognizes that the public can now access information via broadcasters’ online public file and that stations and community members can interact directly through alternative means such as email, social media and the telephone, making the main studio rule “outdated and unnecessarily burdensome.”

“Given these facts, continuing to require a main studio would detract from, rather than promote, a broadcaster’s ability and incentive to keep people informed and serve the public interest,” said FCC Chairman Ajit Pai in his official statement.

The commission predicts that the elimination of the main studio rule should produce cost-saving benefits for broadcasters that can be used for things like programming, equipment upgrades, newsgathering and other services. The commission also sees this as a way to help prevent stations in small towns from going dark and help launch new stations in rural areas .......

Read Full Article Here:

Code:
http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0002/fcc-eliminates-main-studio-rule/282128

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
jholt5638

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:30:27 PM »

I really don't like this, all this is going to do is cause the loss of the local reporter/host/anchor. It already started here in Toledo. Our #1 local morning radio show was abruptly canceled in June they went break for Memorial Day and never came back. It was replaced with a Detroit show (Mojo in the Morning). Sorry if there are any fans of theirs here, but I don't find them the least bit funny and juvenile.  They did keep the young female host and she joined the Detroit show via remote. Gone is almost all the local stories, local events, that feeling of connection of this person or persons part of my community. I fear this rule being removed more and more stations are going to go to a regional news team and gone will that local flare. Or maybe I'm the only one that feels that way?
danristheman
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 01:02:53 AM »

Its sinclair and tribune pushing this with the FCC they talked about this on watching the hawks on RT I like my local news. I could careless about New York or L.A news. Just thought about this what happens if you drive an RV and get the waiver from the FCC, so you can get distant channels from the major markets? This is slowing putting the death nail to local news stations.
jholt5638

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »

Its sinclair and tribune pushing this with the FCC they talked about this on watching the hawks on RT I like my local news. I could careless about New York or L.A news. Just thought about this what happens if you drive an RV and get the waiver from the FCC, so you can get distant channels from the major markets? This is slowing putting the death nail to local news stations.

Is there any other TV Stations owners besides tribune & sinclair? Between them they own my area along with my newspaper. I thought this is where things were going after tribune who owns channel 11 here. They bought another local station channel 36 and slowly the second channel became a shell of itself. It now shares everything with its sister channel. Doesn't have its own news team, studios. Th only difference between them is national network programming one is cbs and the other fox.

I see the same thing happening now that this rule is gone just on a larger scale. Instead of Local teams we'll get tri-state news teams or larger regional teams. My fear is that it will get to a point where tribune and sinclair will have moved the news from the local level to the hands of a couple of companies. Or to take it further once they pull the news from the local level to a near national level they merge. Now we have all the news in the hands of four sources instead of thousands of local sources would be a lot easier to spin stories one way or another.

I think we're seeing the beginning of a single national news source and that scary to me. Or I need to get my tin foil hat adjusted?
danristheman
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »

You might be right Jholt its scary whats going on with the news stations.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: