LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
November 14, 2018, 07:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Linkbox 9000i HD V169 Firmware Update 102918  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=49798.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to get my Tech & general Licenses where do I go?  (Read 362 times)
jholt5638

« on: November 01, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »

I've always wanted to get into HAM but I can't seem to find any information on where to go to take the test. Any pointers I am in Toledo, OH
Titanium
Honored Member

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 05:34:36 PM »

To find an exam in your area visit the ARRL Exam Search Page:
Code:
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

HamStudy is a free website that will help you learn about the technology and review the test questions. It is a great tool!
Code:
https://hamstudy.org/

Only been licensed since January, but having a blast! Not sure why I waited so long!

Brian - AI6US

Titanium Satellite
Brian Gohl
Proud to Support LegalFreeTo Air
DAVE5

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »

You can go toa local ham radio club in Fulton county Ohio.  Most clubs have educational training and will provide the tests and examination.

You should start with  NO CODE license very simple Examine as its your not required to pass a morse code exam for beginners.

If your really want a General licence with more privileges the clubs will offer Morse code training
They also going to have a hamfest next month and they also do the examinations during the hamfest

I have been a ham for 55 years and I had more fun talking to people not only in the USA but around the world.
With morse code there is no language barrier and you have fun having two way conversations even with very weak signal.
They call this QRP Low power transmission with affordable radio.
It much more satisfying  than typing messages on the internet forum.  

Hamfest/Convention
12/02/2017 | FCARC WinterFest   

Type: ARRL Hamfest
Sponsor: Fulton County Amateur Radio Club
Learn More   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:51:46 PM by DAVE5 » Logged
Titanium
Honored Member

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »

To clarify Dave5's post... Amateur Radio licenses no longer require code (CW) to upgrade to the higher licenses. Agree with him that code proficiency opens more frequencies for useage and provides another way to communicate. Especially useful if signal propagation is poor or if dealing with high noise levels.

Several digital modes now allow reliable text communications in even lower signal to noise conditions than CW, but you need to interface with a computer. Many communication options other than analog voice and CW. Hams are even using DVBS/S2 satellite receivers, encoders, modulators, BUCs and LNBFs for terrestrial TV communications! :)

Titanium Satellite
Brian Gohl
Proud to Support LegalFreeTo Air
Chayim
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:17 PM »

BTW, if you watched NCIS last night, that was absolutely NOT amateur radio!!!

I come from a family of "hams" and have been licensed since 1969 at the age of 11.

Larry (Chayim)
KQ9K
Amateur Extra Class
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 11:28:16 PM »

Right on, Chayim!!! I saw that and I was appalled when they started using 'handles'. Do you think it would do any good to send a protest to Belasarius?  Viejo

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 11:22:38 PM »

Well, I went to the CBS feedback site. Here is the text of my submission to complain about the NCIS episode shown on 10-31-17.

"As an Amateur Radio licensed individual, I was appalled at the Episode showed 10-31-17 that used the term "HAM" for the radio communications on the program. We, as Amateurs, have been called Hams, but I take offense when the term in applied to Citizens Band radio. The two radio services are worlds apart. Respectfully submitted, K9BUD, Advanced Class Amateur."

Viejo

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: