LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
May 28, 2020, 11:43:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: STAB HH-90 Ku Band Dish Motor ON SALE  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50773.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vu+ Zero 4K With DVB-S2x Blindscan  (Read 476 times)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« on: March 20, 2018, 12:38:03 AM »

Commonly referred to as a "zapper", the Vu+ Zero 4k is the latest addition to the Vu+ line of receivers. "Zap" is an expression for channel change, so a "zapper" could be thought of as a channel changer. This makes the Vu+ Zero 4k an entry level or secondary type of receiver.

I am used to having fta receivers with anywhere from 4 to 8 tuners. The Zero 4K has one internal DVB-S2x tuner, and provisions for one more usb tuner for a grand total of two tuners max.  I am also used to having a TB or larger internal hard drive installed in my main fta receiver. The Zero 4K only supports external hard drives, but does have an add-on hard drive caddy that fits snugly under the receiver. I have yet to purchase this add-on.

I find the Zero 4K to be rich in features and add-ons, especially considering that this receiver is the least expensive of the Vu+ 4K receivers. The DVB-S2(x) blindscan performs slow, but it is very good at finding transponders. The DVB-S2x tuner is very sensitive, and I have not experienced any picture jerks or break-ups while watching tv.

The Zero 4K is unique because of the DVB-S2x blindscan capability. I think this is about the first receiver to have this capability in a blindscan, but I have yet to find a DVB-S2x transponder. Still, it does not hurt to look, or to have the capability to scan for this type of transponder, and I expect that one day DVB-S2x may be as common as DVB-S2 is today.

There are a few bugs that I have found, and this is to be expected of any receiver that has been on the market for some 3 months. The blindscan does not support the universal lnb. It seems the problem is the 22KHz tone is not being sent during a blindscan to switch the two universal l.o. frequencies. I have also had some diseqc switch issues, but I am not sure whether the switch issues are my equipment or if the switch issues are a problem with the Zero 4K. Vu+ supports their products, so we will see...

The Zero 4K operating system is Linux, enigma2. This has been my main choice of an operating system for fta receivers since about 2012. Enigma2 is easy to learn, and the images or software that is loaded into a receiver can be made very simple, or very complex.

I will post a bit more on this receiver as I use it and get to understand its weaknesses and strong points. I purchased a Vu+ Duo2 back in 2013, and a Vu+ Zero about a year later. Both of these receivers were made in Korea as is the Zero 4K. I can only wonder as to why someone does not stock or carry this line of fta receiver in North America? Vu+ is considered by many to be the best brand of fta receivers in the world.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:41:01 AM by elbandido » Logged
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:14:02 AM »

Here is a link to a video of 113W c band blindscan.This scan was done under stormy conditions. Better conditions, and the dish zeroed in for the satellite would probably speed the scan time up some. The Zero 4K is logging transponders down to about 1000 SR. Blindscan times can be cut roughly in half if you tell the receiver to ignore or not to scan the transponders that already have active channels assigned to them. In other words, ignore the transponders that are in your channel list or channel file.

Code:
https://mega.nz/#!X89DjIJT!fHrui1w_of9dKXvMpGJvic1HeAHp012OEIMZcnGecis

16 APSK transponders have also been logged on other satellites, but I have not found any APSK transponders with free channels yet.

This is the first fta receiver I have owned that can be configured as an Access Point or HotSpot. Go figure...

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »

I found my first DVB-S2X transponder and the receiver crashed. Here is a clip of the raw data:
Blind scan] cnt : 16 , data : ['OK', 'HORIZONTAL', '11139494', '34001000', 'DVB-S2X', 'INVERSION_AUTO', 'PILOT_OFF', 'FEC_9_20', '16APSK', 'ROLLOFF_35', '5', '1', '4', '2', '3', '5']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/Blindscan/plugin.py", line 1054, in blindscanContainerClose
parm.system = sys[data[4]]
KeyError: 'DVB-S2X'
[ePyObject] (CallObject(<bound method Blindscan.blindscanContainerClose of <class 'Plugins.SystemPlugins.Blindscan.plugin.Blindscan'>>,(0,)) failed)
[gRC] main thread is non-idle! display spinner!
Killed

Most likely, a data transponder. DVB-S2X has not been completely added to enigma2 as a search. I have asked for this mode to be added.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:25 AM »

16 APSK Video Confirmed. Did not know this channel existed.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 02:05:45 PM »

There are 3 things I would like to see fixed in the Zero 4K:
(1) Allow Universal LNB to work in blindscan.
(2) Fix diseqc switch issue.
(3) Fix signal meter so it reads correctly and allo it to read in db.

Requests to Vu+ about problems from users or customers are mostly ignored. This bothered me a few years ago, but overall, Vu+ probably has the best support of anyone. My Duo2 was purchased in late 2013, and Vu+ recently updated drivers for it. Support like this is unheard of in closed sourced receivers where updates and fixes last maybe 6 months.

Generally, FTA receivers are good for around 5 years. After that, they are considered antiques. They can still receive satellite signals after that period of time, but technology changes so fast that a 5 year old fta receiver cannot receive some modes or formats. Some recent examples of the past 5 years would be 4K, HEVC, multi-stream and DVB-S2X.

Attached is a screenshot showing some of the Vu+ support.
wildcat374

wildcat374

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »

how much money is the... Vu + zero k4 going for

unimesh 10" with chaparral c/ku band   octagon sx88 linkbox 9000i  geosat pro 3500... 90 cm dish ku sonicview hd 8000.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »

Dunno.
I would like to see these receivers sold in our part of the world, but there are no price listings for North America.
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 10:04:37 PM »

Seen them as low as 175 euro's. Don't know the conversion rate but it is north of 200 bucks.
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 07:28:23 AM »

Been doing more reading about this receiver. It seems that people get this receiver and flash it the minute they get it for CA access overseas. Turns out the same people that write the firmware/software, (Black Hole), for the box also write an "Open" version called "Open Black Hole. Third party software is bad enough. But the same team writing it  ??? Scares me. Too bad. The box does look good and seems to be a performer.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »

What you are seeing is called support, and it is nothing to be scared of. The Zero 4K is based on Open Source. The drivers and some other things have to come from the manufacturer, but the rest of it is maintained and written by various groups. The software or firmware that makes the Zero 4K run is called an image.

Here are a few of the groups that make and maintain images for the Zero 4K:
BlackHole
Open BlackHole
Vu Team Image
OpenATV
OpenVix
OpenSpa
OpenPLi
SatDreamGr

Almost all enigma2 images listed above are built from two main sources which are OpenPLi and OE Aliance. (The BlackHole image has its own source)

digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »

What you are seeing is called support, and it is nothing to be scared of. The Zero 4K is based on Open Source. The drivers and some other things have to come from the manufacturer, but the rest of it is maintained and written by various groups. The software or firmware that makes the Zero 4K run is called an image.

Here are a few of the groups that make and maintain images for the Zero 4K:
BlackHole
Open BlackHole
Vu Team Image
OpenATV
OpenVix
OpenSpa
OpenPLi
SatDreamGr

Almost all enigma2 images listed above are built from two main sources which are OpenPLi and OE Aliance. (The BlackHole image has its own source)

Black Hole and Open Black Hole, The actual people that are behind the manufacture of the box are the same people writing both versions!. they write a "Factory" version and at the same time write a Hack version to bypass C.A. systems. They admitted that! Got that info straight from the VU site. The others you listed would be considered third party. But when the manufacturer is the one writing the hackware, that is too much of a direct connection for me personally. If they figure out how to lock it down, then I might be interested. I even saw at the bottom of the screens you posted where it said ECM info??? Why in the world would any legitimate box need that? Fact is it doesn't. Unless you need that info so you can circumvent the system. Just my humble opinion.

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 10:02:37 AM »

Vu+ Zero 4K ships from the factory with an open source image that is not BlackHole.

Again, You are very confused. Vu+ does not support hacking and the BlackHole website moderators will ban anyone that inquires about anything illegal. I have been on that site for years and I know what they do and do not do.

Seen them as low as 175 euro's. Don't know the conversion rate but it is north of 200 bucks.

No need to pay that much. It is easy to find the Zero 4K for around $150.00 or less before shipping. I think this is a moot point because someone will probably sell these in North America. I try to avoid buying outside of North America unless I have no other choice.

123,14 = 151.93 US Dollar at today's exchange rate.

digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 06:37:52 AM »

Your probably right. I just googled for awhile and would up on the site. Then I saw this....

Open Black Hole
"Open Black Hole" is an open source project for making unofficial third-party OpenPLi based images for newer Vu+ set-top boxes. Using the XBMC4STB software fork of Kodi/XBMC from Vu+, the images are designed as a hybrid integration between Kodi/XBMC media center software and Dreambox's Enigma2 PVR software scripts, forked from OpenPLi (based on OpenEmbedded Linux operating system for embedded systems), it is as such also fully compatible with PLi plugins and coding infrastructure. The project was first announced on the 25th of May 2015 and is maintained by the Black Hole Team, a team of independent developers of long popular community driven firmware images for Vu+-based set top-boxes, however these Open Black Hole project images are completely separate from the original Black Hole image for Vu+

If you've been at the site then You know more than I. My concern however is the connection being so close. I remember Pansat getting nailed because of a close connection even though they insisted that the "Other image files" were a separate entity and seperate from Pansat. Regardless of their claims of nothing to do with the pirate images, Pansat still got hammered in the courts. That's why I was and am concerned. I see the same "connection" with programmers.

The box it self looks good. But then so many do at first then they loose support. Maybe they will get the few things you have noted taken care of. As far as the sales here in the North American market goes, I would think that if they get rid of the "ECM Info" button that is in your screen shot pictures, sales here could be a possibility. Until then I personally shy away from any receiver that can be easily modded and stay with boxes that have their software locked down. Before anyone says they all can be flashed, Maybe if you are a rocket scientist.  I do know however that one brand of receivers, Manhattan, are locked down and will not accept any modded software so no possible problems with the courts. You won't flash those boxes and that's for sure. I'm sure it isn't impossible, but not the average guy can do it. Then there is no worry about any possible legal problems in the future. So I don't think I am confused. Cautious is the word my friend.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »

ANY receiver can be used for hacking, including Manhattans. There is more theft in IPTV now than in satellite.

To be successful at satellite theft, you need support. There is no support at all in North America for enigma2 receivers. A person will have a very hard time stealing satellite signals using enigma2 in North America. Stealing services using Kodi or IPTV are a different story.

digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 07:06:48 AM »

ANY receiver can be used for hacking, including Manhattans. There is more theft in IPTV now than in satellite.

To be successful at satellite theft, you need support. There is no support at all in North America for enigma2 receivers. A person will have a very hard time stealing satellite signals using enigma2 in North America. Stealing services using Kodi or IPTV are a different story.

One..... Show me a hacked Manhattan.......You can't do it EASILY (Notice that key word my friend). Maybe a geek could, but not the average consumer because they are locked down and reject anything without the proper ID in the upgrade software.   

Two, Key words that you obviously ignored in that statement were EASILY HACKED. With all due respect, I suggest you take all words as a statement and not just the words you want to see. Taking things out of context changes the meaning and makes it look like something I never said. That's not playing nice when people twist what was said..... Come to think of it, that's the problem with the country these days...

Three.... I never said that it was impossible to hack anything. Remember the key words... Easily Hacked. Anyone could do that box in five minutes with a USB. (All over YouTube)

Four..... My opinion is not an argument. Neither is yours. So we both said them. Let's get back to evaluating the box. Like I said, it could be promising if they lock down the software for units sold here in the States. Why would anyone argue that?   grin
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: