LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
June 19, 2018, 09:03:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Updated IPTV List for Manhattan RC-1978 HD 012418 >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=47345.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update from Jeff at Manhattan, plus thoughts from NAB show  (Read 1175 times)
Jeff S.
Honored Member

« on: April 18, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »

Casey,

Coming back from the NAB Show last week, I was encouraged by the attendance at the show. No, it was not ATSC 3.0 that was busy, it was the new platform for dealers to sell programming again. Mostly over fiber, but Arris is back with a consortium for a wireless service to the rural communities on a public band at 3.5Ghz.

The show was lined up in the South Hall with a large amount of companies that are offering their SW Apps to the market along with management systems. I believe you will see the OTT market compete with the big guys.

From the FTA bird guys, we see no new programming coming, but more are changing to HD with their content. We are still pushing for some channels to be offered in English if they want to survive. As we get older they lose more of their client base and the young people are watching something else on their phones. They understand the need to translate or offer subtitles in English. The costs of implementing it sometimes in not beneficial.

We are still on track with our programming service for possibly C Band and now even Ku Band. We need to run a data service so it does make sense to offer programming channels on a Ku bird as well. Then tie it into our OTT service so you can watch it both ways. Our OTT should be up in 6 months, but then again, things happen!

So we would offer programming on Ku band with our OTT service. The C Band we will have for commercial use and possibly in our boxes for those who want a direct feed. There has been some resistance from the CA people, but we should satisfy their concerns as well.

This service will play well on our new boxes in 4K as we are looking to release our new ATSC/OTT certified multi-media box this fall. This will have the ATSC 1.0/3.0 dual tuners in it. Plus our new redesigned 4K S2/OTT certified box we will be testing next month. We will offer a USB box for ATSC 3.0 for this box next year. However our OTT offering will play on all formats you may have already.

Our FCC chief was not well received at the show and under guard for some reason. The Sinclair issue is a major concern at the show as they want to control over 200 stations in the market our over half of all broadcast stations. Or course the Republicans want this because they only run their political Ad's and report stories for their benefit. So I would suggest to contact your politician if this a concern to you.

Oh, the commercial antenna industry was very well represented there. My friends at Challenger had a good show and business is good for them. They produce commercial antennas out of Michigan.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Regards,

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-Digital
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:25:57 PM by Hyper » Logged
norman881

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »

The FCC Chief (Ajit Pai)has been getting a lot of death threats and stalkers near his home.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:29:04 PM by Hyper » Logged

90 cm Fortec w/DG380 and Avenger PLL LNBF
Amiko Mini HD SE & Linkbox 9000i Local
Titanium ASC1 Polarity Actuator Controller & C1 PLL LNBF
10 FT Winegard Pinnacle w/Venture 36" Maxie Heavy Duty Ball Screw Actuator
skymaster

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »

jeff skymaster here. i was a dye hard cband fellow with the outfit in wisconsin. still love my c band fat  and ku. when do you think  new programming will be available to us? hope I'm not asking anything wrong.either ku or cband would be great.

thanks for reading this.

skymaster

6 ft dish , openbox z5,amiko alien receiver, glorystar dish,modified hughes net dish,10 ft wineguard mesh motorized for c band with xbox,modified wild blue dish,
if i passed out on my dish, i would be beamed all thru the universe.
the pic is  my grandson.:) he is actually wondering why i have a low quality signal on my receiver.:)

future:tbs box usb to satellite receiver,.
Jeff S.
Honored Member

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »

Skymaster,

Our goal is to obtain the broadcast rights to the C Band service because it will not cost and fuel or commercial projects.

The Ku band side has become tricky as one company indicated they have space and the satellite operator indicates no. The Ku side will be later than sooner, but the C Band is easier to allow us access. We have already tested it on the RC-1978 and it works great. Just going through the licensing takes time.

Our new hardware will handle it and then we can offer satellite and our OTT service through one box.  I goal is to be on C Band this fall.

Norman, yes, they did not like me camping out on his front lawn. Humor, but as these so-called industry policies move forward, it does not benefit the industry and us the consumers. It will not benefit Sinclair either and just turns people away from OTA. It is sad that these commissioners become so corrupt that only benefits their job prospects and not the entire population. As I stated before the FCC and DOJ heads need to be elected offices.

Thank you,

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-Digital
ftasami

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:49:38 PM »

jeff skymaster here. i was a dye hard cband fellow with the outfit in wisconsin. still love my c band fat  and ku. when do you think  new programming will be available to us? hope I'm not asking anything wrong.either ku or cband would be great.

thanks for reading this.

skymaster

You can now buy most services such as HBO directly from their website. I have HBO now and like it, no need to buy another receiver.   
skymaster

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 12:54:23 AM »

ftasami,
skymaster here.
how do you go about buying directly from the company is it more expensive? i would like to get certain programming similar to hits or better without sliding to the dark side to the pizza providers.

6 ft dish , openbox z5,amiko alien receiver, glorystar dish,modified hughes net dish,10 ft wineguard mesh motorized for c band with xbox,modified wild blue dish,
the pic is  my grandson.:) he is actually wondering why i have a low quality signal on my receiver.:)

ftasami

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »

ftasami,
skymaster here.
how do you go about buying directly from the company is it more expensive? i would like to get certain programming similar to hits or better without sliding to the dark side to the pizza providers.

You need to go to the websites to see what they got, that's how I did it. Let Google be your friend. Prices are fair. Hits a good idea while it lasted is Comcast. The goal is to suck you into high price cable that's why they shutdown cband. Don't see a full channel system coming back like in the olden times. Ain't enough of us folk to pay operational costs. Hits subscribers were low when the doors shut, many moved on. There's a cband subscription service out there with some channels. If you like what they got that's an option.  Although for certain channels you need to bite the bullet and get high price cable, that's how it is. Don't waste time with pizza, heard their shutting down the satellite services in couple years.       
skymaster

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »

thanks for the info ftasami,

hopefully jeff will get it going this fall. if he does, I'm buying.

i agree with u on the pizza services.they should have shut down long ago my friend has the pay as you go and they do the same thing. 90 percent of his channels except for the high priced premo channels can be found on fta.he is paying 60 month for a few channels he actually watches and then they repeat the same crap over and over or show old stuff to fill in the time slots.i can imagine why they will shut down .most are streaming off the phone or hotspot.i prefer to get mine off the big dish.also if jeff can swing the ku  i would buy that also.yea comcast really is greedy and the major players are trying to control viewing content.have an acquaintance who worked for comcast in the local offices as an installer and he told me they didn't care too much who they put out of business as long as they can suck more dollars.

ftasami

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:59:26 AM »

thanks for the info ftasami,

hopefully jeff will get it going this fall. if he does, I'm buying.

i agree with u on the pizza services.they should have shut down long ago my friend has the pay as you go and they do the same thing. 90 percent of his channels except for the high priced premo channels can be found on fta.he is paying 60 month for a few channels he actually watches and then they repeat the same crap over and over or show old stuff to fill in the time slots.i can imagine why they will shut down .most are streaming off the phone or hotspot.i prefer to get mine off the big dish.also if jeff can swing the ku  i would buy that also.yea comcast really is greedy and the major players are trying to control viewing content.have an acquaintance who worked for comcast in the local offices as an installer and he told me they didn't care too much who they put out of business as long as they can suck more dollars.

Jeff would need to drop one heck of an investment to make a hits service happen. Even if the money to start this up is there it wouldn't last long, it will be bankrupt in 6 months. Unless Jeff can guarantee at least a million subscribers the services won't be interested. It's boils down to economics. When we had 2 million dishes to sell too this was doable. Really how many fta folks are here today, few hundred? And out of that number how many would subscribe? I don't see it happening. I'm afraid were stuck with it being as is. 
skymaster

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »

well,
what receiver are u using?

i used to have a dsr410 but after services were shut down i scrapped it out and used the power supply for a project i was building.

how are u getting authentication of service with receiver? preconfigured card from company?

ftasami

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 09:22:17 PM »

well,
what receiver are u using?

i used to have a dsr410 but after services were shut down i scrapped it out and used the power supply for a project i was building.

how are u getting authentication of service with receiver? preconfigured card from company?

Google, Order HBONOW, you sign with them. No cards or satellite receivers needed, use your own device or computer.
skymaster

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »

im not interested in internet provided signals nor the hotspot or tethered. I'm talking about receiver based furnished by a satellite dish

jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »

Direct TV will be shutting down by 2020, and it looks like that content will come via internet.  C band is still there to provide content, but good luck finding someone to sell to the few remaining big dish owners.  The numbers are just not there.  Jess out in California

9ft. c/ku Mesh button hook hor to hor. 4dtv922 slaved pansat2500,9500, az prem hd, and a cw3000 at the end of the loop. other boxes in the closet. got the 9500 from Hypermegasat! Can look from 55.5 to 139 west.
ftasami

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »

Dish Network also will be shutting down the satellite service in couple years. The FCC wants to sell c band frequencys to LTE. If that happens we'll be watching black pictures with our satellite receivers.   sad
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:29 AM »

Code:
https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/aca-to-fcc-there-s-nothing-luxurious-about-c-band-use-for-satellite-backhaul-for-video
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: