LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
September 20, 2018, 11:49:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ASC1 Positioner New Firmware + Loader/Editor 2.0  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=36472.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only vertical works  (Read 304 times)
wbman1000

« on: May 23, 2018, 11:51:48 PM »

Not sure where to pose this question, but its feedback might be useful for new fta users...

I seem to have lost all my horizontal channels.

It came to my attention when I went to watch SES 3 ku, and I noticed most of the entries didn't work...off air...

On that sat, after rescanning I found myself with only a handful still working.

My benchmark COZI was among the missing.

Checking other sats seem to reveal the same problem.

I checked the coax, actually was thinking maybe the DC block had failed,  replaced coax, too block out...no different results.

Weird part is receiver must be getting something as it shows a lot of fails.  All on horizontal.

That leaves the lnb or the receiver itself.

So, ordered a new lnb fo replace the nearly 5yr old geosatpro SL1.
I'll know this weekend if that is issue.

If no changes...then...well...my 9000i must be the flaw.

I'll have to dig out the voltmeter and see if it changes voltage when switching from V to H.

If anyone else has ideas I should be checking,  I'm all ears...

Having 1/2 the channels is no fun.
skymaster

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 03:26:30 AM »

wbman1000,

have u had a dc block in ur cable before? if so then i would check any switches on ur system and check any fittings for moisture invasion. if not then i would say u have a lnbf problem. maybe receiver,but sounds like an lnbf problem. if u were running c band i would have suggested to clean out any bees inside the c band lnb if no cover was installed. grin.ive had an open box s9 do this and then do other things right before the board fried.
I'm not an expert but I've had these problems too. 90 percent switches for me. i hooked up my dish one time without turning off power and unplugging it.the fittings gave me the same thing . the rest, lnbfs .if you have had any storms recently you might have picked up a surge

skymaster.

6 ft dish , openbox z5,amiko alien receiver, glorystar dish,modified hughes net dish,10 ft wineguard mesh motorized for c band with xbox,modified wild blue dish,
if i passed out on my dish, i would be beamed all thru the universe.
the pic is  my grandson.:) he is actually wondering why i have a low quality signal on my receiver.:).grandpa twist the lnbf!!!!

future:tbs box usb to satellite receiver,.linkbox 9000 i hd local, 8 more ku dishes unless i can build or find a 6 ft ku.
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »

wbman, I have the same problem on 103W on Horizontal only. I was thinking lnb, then one night some of them worked, then went out again.  No other sats, at least not at this time. I miss COZI also. Viejo

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Xubuntu 14.04.5 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, and Linkbox 9000i Local.
Titanium
Honored Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »

Check the voltage at the dish on both a horizontal and a vertical transponder. It would be best if the test could be taken with the LNBF connected. You could either use a opened coax jumper (exposing the center conductor and braid for meter probes or use a port on a all port power passing splitter).

LNBF switching from Vertical to Horizontal polarity typically occurs at a minimum switch point voltage of 15.5 - 16.5Vdc. If the voltage reading is in this range, it may not be adequate to switch to horizontal. If the voltage is low, compare to a measurement taken at the STB LNB In port. Is there a significant voltage drop?

A corroded fitting, water ingress, kinked coax, etc. will also cause switching and 22KHz/DiSEqC control problems.

Titanium Satellite
Brian Gohl
Proud to Support LegalFreeTo Air
wbman1000

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »

@skymaster -- I've had DC block in from beginning, and no switches in-line.
Since I live in tornado alley, while none of THOSE, we have had quite a few...electrifying...storms...so a possibility of a surge perhaps.

@El_viejo -- I seem to have no horizontal on anything...Since I hadn't watched in a few weeks, I thought... NICE, NBC changed to encryption...but I didn't find any fanfare online to support that, plus SATHINT would definitely have shown that change and did not. (wipes brow)
Lucky for me I can get COZI on my OTA setup :) 

@Titanium -- that was one of the things I was going to check next... it would eliminate the receiver from the mix.
All cabling is brand new -- I moved and put all wiring in fresh, and it's been really quite happy since last Sept.

Thanks everyone that's replied so far....  I have LNBF on the way... should arrive from the Amazon Drone any day now...  It could happen...only, where I am I think it'd be a helicopter instead.
wbman1000

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 11:13:50 PM »

Issue.....resolved....

It appears from what I can tell, that the issue was actually the receiver itself...  9000i....  lost it's horizontal mind.

So, the replacement LNB arrived today...YAH!   Almost a week quicker than expected!   With the holiday coming I wasn't expecting it until Tues at soonest...  Thank you Titanium for that alignment of the delivery moons...

I replace that.... still no joy.... Dayum...that means probably the receiver...  So, while wiping a tear I had an idea....  Since I didn't have my voltmeter handy to confirm it I thought to myself....self.... Do a factory reset... Can't hurt....  Nothing else helped, so why not...

BAM!   They're BACK!

Of course I have to recan things back in, but that's ok since I would have to anyways because the replacement LNB was universal instead of standard.

So...  For the 9000i anyways, if something seems amiss, then when all else has failed, factory reset and see what happens.

Thanks all for your input...

...case closed...
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:25:21 PM »

I just checked with a second receiver, but still no horizontal on 103W. So my problem may be and lnb. I don't get around too well someitmes, so haven't been able to change it out. When I get  a chance, I will check my voltages from both receivers. I have a small box that I set up to do this a while back. Will keep you posted. Its just that  when I heard wbman having what sounded like my problem, I thought 103W had problems.  Viejo

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, and Linkbox 9000i Local.
wbman1000

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »

.....and..... they're gone again.

I know both V & H work though... I can get BVN On 113w and I can get LPB on 87w....So, pretty sure that means H works.

Observation on SES3 though....   11760/30000 which has COZI on it, shows up in the TP list even after I've cleared it, but FAILS during the scan.

Not sure exactly what that means, but it is worth noting.

If I hadn't lost the remote to my Micro HD during my move, I'd connect that up and see what happens...    Sigh....

El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 10:39:02 PM »

Well, I got out my FS-1 meter and checked for the horizontal tps. They are there but not strong enough for the receivers to even 'see' them. Now I am thinking that my lnb may be off just enough due to whatever so I don't get the vertical but not the horizontal. It is offset on my hotdish 90, which is centered on 97W. Guess it is tweak time!  Viejo

E_V
wbman1000

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »

We're both on the same path to correction....  :)

I found the remote to my microHD....  found with it, with no other changes that I could....kinda....get horizontal.....  So, I did some tweaking of the USALS, and gained....a hair, but still not really usable.   Changed to Disqec and then tweaked the dish.... found if I moved west a few clicks, I could properly lock in.

So.... that begs the question, why JUST SES3?  Did they lower the power to a level that horizontal is getting affected but vertical is not as sensitive to?  I have no problems getting something on horizontal on my Guatamalan TP that's not I'm in the foot print for, but it's not meant for my area... I'm thinking, in comparison, is this sat using higher power and even my semi-fringe location can lock on well to, but SES3, which is better in every aspect when it comes to the latest and greatest.... I can't?   

For me --- it's like....again....I have to tweak for ONE sat at the possible expense of others....   frustrating....  Risks of small dish I suppose....   Maybe I need to move to 1.2m.....or maybe larger.    Of course larger means I could leverage C-band too which is a plus...

But for the issue at hand....  MicroHD can get in, but 9000i needs more help....  MicroHD must have a better receiver?

95deg temp means.... I must wait till the sun starts going down....  Lobster is something one eats, not becomes while playing sat-nerd.... :)

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: