LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
November 14, 2018, 07:38:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ASC1 Positioner New Firmware + Loader/Editor 2.0  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=36472.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATSC 3.0  (Read 898 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« on: October 12, 2015, 08:37:18 PM »

ATSC 3.0

Here is a link to an article on the ATSC 3.0 standard for anyone interested. I thought it was a good read.

Code:
http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/2015/10/capital-currents-what-good-quality-atsc-30-television-signal?et_cid=4864103&et_rid=647969182&location=top

More on ATSC 3.0 here:

Code:
http://atsc.org/newsletter/atsc-3-0-where-we-stand/

Cool

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:38:02 PM »

Maybe they will take enough time that I won't be around to have to contend with new tvs, etc.  So much for backward compatibility. It was required when they added stereo to FM, it still had to be able to be received on a mono FM receiver. Yes, i'm telling my age, but I'm not ashamed of my age. But at the old song says; "It's not the age on this old frame, it's the mileage that is slowing me down."  lol   E_V

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
Jimlw1
Know's FTA

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 01:51:46 AM »

El_Viejo,

A$ M$ would tell you, backward compatibility don't make money, $o why make it !

All Brand $pankin New i$ where the money i$ and that will be what come$ to the Market - It'$ all about the money$.

And that i$ the truth.

And believe it or not, DIGITAL i$ better, or $o i have heard, but i $till need $omeone to $how me where.

jimlw1
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:53:41 AM by Jimlw1 » Logged
jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:29:14 PM »

Strange, but I agree with both of you.  Yes El Viejo; the "new" color signals had to be able to be seen on a B/W Tv.  I also know that most things made now are NOT ment to last very long, otherwise we would only buy them once!  I still have a few "OLD" things that still work pretty well, including myself.  Jess out in California

9ft. c/ku Mesh button hook hor to hor. 4dtv922 slaved pansat2500,9500, az prem hd, and a cw3000 at the end of the loop. other boxes in the closet. got the 9500 from Hypermegasat! Can look from 55.5 to 139 west.
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 12:07:16 AM »

jimlw1, my son that passed about 8 years ago always said when he talked about lawyers, etc, 'it's all about the money!' I get ur point.  Jess, I didn't think of the color tv part of it, but that was the case.  If u will remember the government subsidized the digital converters for those that wanted them. Then our esteemed leader kept wanting to delay the changeover.   oh well, get off my soapbox, lol    E_V

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

2016 Frist World Series Title in 108 years

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:19:26 AM »

Strange, but I agree with both of you.  Yes El Viejo; the "new" color signals had to be able to be seen on a B/W Tv.  I also know that most things made now are NOT ment to last very long, otherwise we would only buy them once!  I still have a few "OLD" things that still work pretty well, including myself.  Jess out in California

You're not old Jess, and we all know you work well, from reading what you've posted.

thumbs_up

I love my Raydx 10.5-footer. It brings in 16APSK feeds quite well! Titanium C1 PLL LNBF & GEOSATpro SL1PLL Ku LNBF to a FreeSat GTC 4K receiver!
joeroscoe1957
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »

Was just reading more on some of the "good" possibilities  of this upcoming ATSC 3.0 on the   .com link of     cutcabletoday . Been concerned since Hyper first brought this to my attention months ago . They point out that the transition will be quite different than the analog to hd we experienced a few years ago .    But also mention how a small indoor antenna might receive stations 60 miles away and abilities to watch on our phones data free , if  the cellphone manufacturers get on board .     The analog to hd worked out better than I thought , maybe this might have hope .
Jeff S.
Honored Member

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:17:49 AM »

Some of those rumors are true. For the antennas to receive, yes this system will be better, but not the 60 mile out with a rabbit ears is not going to happen. But urban areas will be good to go!

We will have ATSC 3.0 tuner in June and hopefully July delivery of such products.

Stay tuned.

Regards,

Jeff Schumann
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

My son Evan. I miss you son.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »

An update about support for ATSC 3.0. This is part of an article being written for a trade magazine.

Manhattan-Digital in Wisconsin hopes to specialize in multimedia set top boxes, with plans for a dual ATSC 1.0/3.0 device to be available this coming fall (2018), at a very competitive price.  The reality of the ATSC 3.0 situation is that there are ZERO reception devices in the homes of Americans as of this writing. Assuming a rough number of 2.5 to 3.0 televisions per household in this country, the potential exists for the need to have between 250 and 300 million ATSC 3.0 reception devices in order to receive this new programming standard.

People will NOT spend money to replace every television set, and the only practical way for most households to participate in continued free over-the-air reception is with a set-top box capable of the new 3.0 standard, as well as the old ATSC 1.0 system. Existing and planned televisions are woefully lacking in abilities such as program storage (think DVR and TIVO-like devices). This is much more easily accomplished with a reasonably priced set-top box.

Multiple set-top configurations could cost effectively allow a mix of subscription and free TV, delivered by local VHF and UHF television frequencies, direct internet, and satellite reception. Estimates as high as 55 million have been thrown about for the numbers of sets and converters presently antenna-equipped for local reception.

Intelligent rollout of ATSC 3.0 could spur further interest in local TV antennas, possibly reviving that industry.

grin

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: