LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
July 04, 2020, 10:22:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our HD Wildfeed/Backhauls Section >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=66.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wicker, Thune Amend C-Band Bill to boost take to Treasury  (Read 1055 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

"I'm Batman"

« on: December 17, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »

Wicker, Thune Amend C-Band Bill

Would boost take to Treasury as gross proceeds increase

by John Eggerton Dec 11, 2019

Senate Commerce Committee chairman Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) and Communications Subcommittee chairman John Thune (R-S.D.) are introducing an amended version of a C-band auction bill, S. 2881, 5G Spectrum Act, that would boost the potential take for the treasury and allocate money for broadband buildouts for rural broadband.

That is coming at a committee markup of the bill, according to a copy of the amendment in the nature of a substitute.

The initial bill would have required that at least 50% of the proceeds from an FCC auction of the C-Band (3700 MHz to 4200 MHz) to to the treasury. But the amendment in the nature of a substitute that was approved by the committee Wednesday (Dec. 11) raises that standard as the auction take rises.

Some have predicted the auction of that sweet-spot-for-5G spectrum could generate as much as $60 billion in bids. If so, the Treasury take will get a boost.

According to the new bill, the Treasury gets at least 50% of the first $40 billion in gross proceeds. If it goes beyond that figure, 75% of the next $10 billion goes to the Treasury, and 90% of anything above that. Wicker says that is to insure there is "no windfall."

In addition, 10% of the gross proceeds will go to deploying infrastructure in underserved or unserved areas.

The bill also now requires that the FCC .........

Full article here:

https://www.multichannel.com/news/wicker-thune-amend-c-band-bill

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Jeff S.
Honored Member

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 01:26:04 PM »

Good luck with that amendment! Any money that will come from any sale will not go to the US treasury, it will go to the satellite operators. My Senator just emailed indicating this is way they see it along with the lawyers.

The other issue is that Congress and most important the FCC cannot provide any reason to take any frequency off the bandwidth.  There is not justification for it. They claim the high-speed that 5G may provide is not really needed, except may be for day traders. Who cares about them!

Plus taking away any C Band will take away the entire bandwidth and the users will sue the FCC who is supposed to "Manage" our bandwidth, not sell it off.

During the December 4th meeting of TAC which is the volunteer consortium of companies and industry experts that meet about 3-4 times a year to advise the FCC on standards. What came from this is AT&T that wants to purchase bandwidth to eliminate competition. This has been raised by my Senator in the Senate chambers as frequency grabs that thwarts competition. Something this committee frowns upon. Along with my Senator as well.

As AT&T indicated in the long meeting is that they work with communities (which received a chuckle) which in turn pay-off governments like the state of Wisconsin that allows them to place towers anywhere they like. To their unliking, AT&T is meeting stiff resistance in the rural communities on tower erection and even in the urban settings.

Pointed out in this meeting was the lack of compression for 5G and type of antennas being used for the broadcast and not sharing antenna space and even antennas themselves. These cities will begin to see a lot of antennas perched on the side of buildings for these transmissions. Whereas Japan is testing antennas that are the size of your hand that are working well. Japan has not deployed 5G because it is not ready!

The issue I have is there is a global assignment for the 5G broadcast that the carriers frequency the USA has not adapted too. So when travelling over-seas, you will have to get another phone for this service. We are rushing just to be out there for a super high-speed system is irresponsible on the FCC side, but then again, with the lack of leadership in our government one can understand why!

There is a lot more regarding this, but the C Band is still here and after the shakedown it should be still with us!

Take care and keep fighting by contacting your Congressmen. They are hearing us on this subject. If you want to listen in on this committee (TAC) you can go to the FCC page.

https://www.fcc.gov/news-events/events/2019/12/technological-advisory-council-meeting-december-4-2019

Take care,

Jeff Schumann
Manhattan-Digital

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: