LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
June 06, 2020, 03:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GEOSATpro HDVR3500 Updated Sat List 121519  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50147.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so it looks like I WILL BE WELDING MY DISH IN PLACE  (Read 640 times)
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« on: February 19, 2019, 12:34:06 AM »

My 6 foot dish has drifted twice in the past few weeks and so I plan on welding it in place. If I need to move it I will be able to cut the welds.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 12:36:12 AM by techristian » Logged

teachmedrums.com
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »

My 6 foot dish has drifted twice in the past few weeks and so I plan on welding it in place. If I need to move it I will be able to cut the welds.

Dan

Just drill a hole through the mount, and the pole. Then put a bolt through it all to pin it. Make sure it's peaked before you do this.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

"I'm Batman"

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »

I have the same issue here with my 10 ft BUD, i have tightened all the bolts with a 2 foot breaker bar but it can still move in the wind. I plan to do just as you suggest MikeBear once the weather is a little better.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 07:33:22 PM »

You only need a few small welds. That way you can cut it if you want to move it.....and remember STEEL TO STEEL.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
ftasami

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »

From my experience pinning the dish can lead to headaches down the road. If you tighten the 4 bolts of the cap well it shouldn't move or give you problems. All dishes periodically need to be touched up. When you lock it down by pinning or welding it, first you must undo this measure. That can be a PITA.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

"I'm Batman"

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 08:14:40 PM »

I did seemingly lock down my BUD by tightening some bolts over again with a breaker bar, and 1 of the bolts i grinded not to a point but kinda rounded the edge a little sharper, instead of a flat edge. Seems to be holding well so far. Been through some good winds, like 30 mph, but not the worst stuff we get here (yet). I am reluctant to weld it into place. I would rather the wind turn it, not break it. But then again, its a pain to re-position it when its 0 degrees outside with 3 foot of snow on the ground, late at night, when i want to watch tv. lol

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:35 AM »

I used to pin my dishes years ago, by drilling through the mount and post, and bolting them. I finally understood that IF you had winds great enough to actually SPIN the dish, it's BEST to allow it to be able to spin. The same way farmers windmills feather out of the wind, to make sure they don't go out of control.

Now, I just tighten down the bolts, make a paint mark between mount and pole (to be able to easily put it back, IF it should spin), and during really high winds, make sure it's aimed at 101W, which allows my local winds to blow across the face of my dish. In fact, that's where my dish is parked much of the time anyway.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »

My Prodelin dishes do not move in the wind.  A hurricane or tornado might be different, and cause these dishes to move.  

The bolts that hold the mount on the pole have a nut on them, so you have one nut that is welded to the mount, then another nut that holds the bolt in place, to keep it from loosening up.

The mounts fit snugly on the poles, where you can barely get a business card between the pole and mount as shown.

Many of the mesh dishes that I have seen do not have the extra nut for the bolt, and many of the poles are too small for the mount. An undersized pole will allow the dish to move, and the bolts can gradually loosen if the locking nut is not installed.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:36:00 PM by elbandido » Logged
ArloG

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »

Drill all the way through for a spring pin and tap it in.
If it's time to go to Kansas, it's time.
If so, it will shear. Mine hasn't in umpteen years.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: