LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
May 28, 2020, 11:43:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: STAB HH-90 Ku Band Dish Motor ON SALE  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50773.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L I G H T N I N G  (Read 504 times)
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« on: August 31, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »

Almost 2 weeks ago we got hit by lightning. I'm not sure of everything that was damaged , but my Geosat , 2 HDMI inputs on my tv, a router, possibly a laptop ethernet, and an ethernet cable (or more than one) was affected. Also, a 3 year old car battery was zapped and possibly my car stereo.

Surprisingly, my ku lnb pointing to 103w is fine. I'm running with my old Manhatten box. I'm not sure about my other dishes because most of them need to be repointed.

I have hundreds of electronic devices here, many may have been plugged in but not running at the time so it will be a while before the full impact hits me.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
dishdigger

Channelmaster 10 ft Mesh

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »

i think i was hit too today. i suspect my 10 ft dish was hit. my samsung tv wont power on . my pansat 9500 hdx wont power on. but some components like my bell fibe hsrd drive still power. a lamp.. vcr. all plugged in same power strip. at the back of my tv it has slight odour of smoke. Can i tell by looking at my 10ft dish if it was struck ? any thoughts .  ?
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 12:24:10 AM »

I doubt much of the dish would be there if it took a direct hit. Will be surprised if you see any physical damage to it such as burns or melted metal, but it should be looked at. Sounds like you are the victim of an EMP.
Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »

RIGHT elbandido not a direct hit here either, but somewhere close by. We weren't able to find where it hit but we sure HEARD IT !!

dAN

teachmedrums.com
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 01:57:54 PM »

I have just discovered that the box isn't completely DESTROYED......only the HDMI output and SAT tuner.  Only good for IPTV  with RED WHITE AND YELLOW WIRES !
Dan
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:18:01 PM by techristian » Logged

teachmedrums.com
mengram
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:03:46 PM »

The same thing happened to one of my Optibox Raptors, a close lightning strike took out the HDMI output. I bought an AV to HDMI adapter and the receiver still works but will only do HD to 576i.

mengram

11 ft solid fiberglass BUD and 24' Von Weise Actuator, ESX242 C-band lnbf, 10 ft Channel Master TVRO Solid BUD and 24" Thompson-Saganaw Actuator, ESX242 C-band lnbf, 8 ft mesh BUD and 24' US Electronics Actuator,  ESX242 C-band lnbf, 36X39' Geosat Pro, SG6000 motor, Invacom QPH-031, JSC322-2 dual KU lnb, DSR922 Motorola 4Dtv, Amiko Alien2, (2) Optibox Raptors, Eyebox X5, Pansat 9500 HDX, (2) Openbox S9 fta receivers, Manhattan-1933, 22inch directtv slimline (will be using as a stationary dish). 52 inch LG Plasma, 47 inch LG 3D, Smart TV, 32 inch Coby LCD televisions. LOS 58.0W to 139.0W
dishdigger

Channelmaster 10 ft Mesh

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »

Your lucky. mine wont power on at all.
skymaster

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 10:17:44 AM »

skymaster here.
i use slip on connectors on my receivers. Why? because if storms. iusually listen to my ham radio equipment everyday and a good old am radio will tell you if any static is building in the air with lightning. i keep one turned on and when i hear the consistant static noise and see cloudy skys, i start unplugging my radios, ground out my antennas, then check the weather on noaa on scanner. then on tv if i see anything near me within 40 miles, i pull the slip connectors off my receivers,tv,etc. it may be an inconvienence for some, but i havent lost any equipment for a long time due to lightning
money is tight for me so i cant just replace a receiver or transceiver whenever i want.when we go out to get groceries or whatever. i pull the cables off the equipment and pull the power cords too.

skymaster

6 ft dish , openbox z5,amiko alien receiver, glorystar dish,modified hughes net dish,10 ft wineguard mesh motorized for c band with ,modified wild blue dish,

future:tbs box usb to satellite receiver,.linkbox 9000 i hd local, 8 more ku dishes unless i can build or find a 6 ft ku.
skymaster

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 12:29:22 PM »

in other words,
if in doubt ground it out. we even go as far as unplugging our freezer and refrigerator . I dont rust insurance companies. my cousin had a strike that came up thru the plumbing and ground system and burned his fridge and freezer,tv and computers out. Insurance company didnt cover it.

skymaster

6 ft dish , openbox z5,amiko alien receiver, glorystar dish,modified hughes net dish,10 ft wineguard mesh motorized for c band with ,modified wild blue dish,

future:tbs box usb to satellite receiver,.linkbox 9000 i hd local, 8 more ku dishes unless i can build or find a 6 ft ku.
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 07:30:45 PM »

Good advice.

in other words,
if in doubt ground it out. we even go as far as unplugging our freezer and refrigerator . I dont rust insurance companies. my cousin had a strike that came up thru the plumbing and ground system and burned his fridge and freezer,tv and computers out. Insurance company didnt cover it.
skymaster

teachmedrums.com
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: