LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
May 28, 2020, 11:08:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: STAB HH-90 Ku Band Dish Motor ON SALE  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50773.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hispasat 30.0 W in Boston, Ma?  (Read 241 times)
cebu22

« on: December 20, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »

Hello,

I'm just getting back into the FTA hobby.  Several years ago I was able to watch Hispasat 30.W Ku band channels in Boston.  I recently setup my system at a new location in Boston - I am able to get all of my old satellite favorites (97 W, 99 W, 125 W) but I can't seem to get Hispasat at 30.0W.  I was wondering if it is my new setup or whether the beam radius for Hispasat has changed  in the last few years?  I am using a 42 inch Fortec Star oval dish.

Thanks
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »

Hello,

I'm just getting back into the FTA hobby.  Several years ago I was able to watch Hispasat 30.W Ku band channels in Boston.  I recently setup my system at a new location in Boston - I am able to get all of my old satellite favorites (97 W, 99 W, 125 W) but I can't seem to get Hispasat at 30.0W.  I was wondering if it is my new setup or whether the beam radius for Hispasat has changed  in the last few years?  I am using a 42 inch Fortec Star oval dish.

Thanks

I'm in mid-Michigan, and I get it just fine, even though it's only at 16 degrees elevation for me which isn't even higher than the trees here. I have that dedicated KU dish on my roof, just for that.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
cebu22

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 11:21:09 PM »

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.  Could you please let me know what size dish you have in Michigan? Seems like my motorized dish is tracking correctly for 93,95,97,101,121 and 125. Not sure why I am off on 30w.
jtb3-
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 12:13:39 AM »

Hello,

Thanks
I went years not receiving 30w , and was sure I was just not in the footprint.   Last year I replaced my HH motor on my
dish and rechecked the arc from H to H with the help of my "sat finder" (SAT-TECH SF-9505A) and to my surprise I found
30w & 34w with fairly good SQ.  So obviously I was running off the arc on the east side. 
I am using a 39" dish with a Avenger Ku PLL universal LNBF.        I am located at zipp 21625.. 
Your only about 400 miles NE of me, so I believe you can get it with that 42" dish.......good luck
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 01:13:43 AM »

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.  Could you please let me know what size dish you have in Michigan? Seems like my motorized dish is tracking correctly for 93,95,97,101,121 and 125. Not sure why I am off on 30w.

125 -93 = 32
Currently, you are tracking only 32 degrees of the satellite arc, and all 32 degrees are on one side of the satellite arc.  It would be real easy to have the satellite dish not properly aligned or adjusted, and still get these satellites, especially when all of the tracked satellites are stacked on one side of your arc.
Due South is the center of your satellite arc, and for good motorized dish alignment, you need to get as many satellites as possible on the east side and the west side of your satellite arc.  30 West is 63 degrees away from 93 west.  The motorized dish will have to be aligned correctly if you are going to get 30 west.

Your satellite dish should be big enough. 30 West is usable from your location as long as nothing is blocking the horizon, such as a tree or tall building. I do not think Fortec made a 42 inch dish.  The effective size for your dish is probably 1 meter, or about 39 inches.  Offset dishes are diamond shaped because the lnb is not at the center of the dish. The offset dish should be measured horizontally or left to right. Do not measure an offset dish vertically, or from the top to bottom.
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 09:42:19 AM »

It's a 1 meter dish.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
cpr43
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 04:21:49 PM »

Same here. I have no problems going from 67W to 125w but can not get 30W. I sent the HH using USALS to 30W. Went outside and was able to lock 30W manually loosing the dish elevation. After setting 30W I tried run the arc but only 30W and 34.5W were aligned, All others from 87W to 125W were off. Angry

Proud to be a subscription-free household - FTA & OTA only
(1) Dreambox DM800HDse,(1) Linkbox 8000HD Local, GTMedia V8pro2/ Nova
(1) 10' SAM I/Channel Master-Scanning the arc from 43w to 131w
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 05:26:02 PM »

It is usually best to make motorized dish adjustments on a satellite that is at the center of the arc or close to it.

Finding a satellite by changing the elevation will give a good clue on how things need to be adjusted. For a ku motor, set the declination angle on the motor bracket per the instructions and forget about it. The declination should only need to be set once and should not be changed unless very fine dish adjustments show that it is wrong.

Think about how the motor operates. The dish is highest at the center of the arc, and drops  as the dish is moved away from center in either direction. 
(A) If the dish is too high for a satellite on the low end of the arc, then it is stopping too soon. One way to fix this would be to physically move the dish away from the satellite. Moving the dish away would make the dish motor travel farther, which would lower it
(B) If the dish is too low for a satellite on the low end of the arc, then physically move the dish towards the satellite location.  Doing this would cause the motor to run less, which means it would be higher once the target satellite is reached.

Before moving anything, check the furthest satellite from the opposite end of the arc, or a satellite of equal distance in degrees from center, and see how it is tracking. If the other end of the arc, or the opposite end of the arc does not need any adjustment, then physically moving the dish may cause problems on the opposite end while fixing the end you need adjusted.

Some people like to trick USALS settings into making the dish track correctly instead of adjusting the dish. Tricks include using coordinates that are not correct for your area, and changing the degrees of satellites.
If you are using USALS instead of diseqc 1.2 settings, then make sure the USALS coordinates are correct for your area.  A properly aligned dish can travel at least 120 degrees or 60 degrees each side of center, and stop correctly on every satellite that is available. You will have a hard time making a dish travel correctly for 120 degrees if you are trying to trick the USALS settings.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: