LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
February 29, 2020, 07:49:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our HD Wildfeed/Backhauls Section >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=66.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie just starting out  (Read 494 times)
g1230g

« on: January 27, 2020, 05:59:29 PM »

Hello all - as the title reads - I am just starting out with this hobby and am trying to learn as much as I can.

I am not sure where to start - sorry in advance for any dumb questions - this hobby seems difficult to master.

My goal is determine if in fact that I can install FTA equipment and have it function based on my geographic location. I think yes because I had Directv some years back and the dish was fixed on the south/southwest sky and it worked fine.

Fast forward to today - I am in a residential neighborhood - no dish obstuctions to speak of - based on my latitude and longitude - I think I am looking at sat 180E Intelsat 18 - and this is where I start getting lost.

Per one of those sat pointer sites - my southern Indiana - elevation 11.7 degrees / azimuth true 92.6 degrees / azamuth magn 97.7 degrees...it also said that I am below the horizon and this is one of my first concerns.

Given my location - am I only able to point at one sat and possibly not see it? Or am I able - by using multiple dishes - to view multiple sats?

I guess that I want to build my system based an where I am geographically - if my location is prohibitive - this will change how I put my system together - if my location allows the viewing of multiple sats - then I would like to use multiple dish's as much as I can.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and wisdom.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:59:35 PM by g1230g » Logged
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 08:11:23 PM »

Your elevation of 11.7 degrees concerns me based on your coordinates. If I figure is correctly, you are in my old home town that starts with c and ends with s. You zip code ends with 201 or 202. And you are definitely not below the horizon. According to my search,  your elevation is 43.1 for Sat 97W. No E sats, they are on the other side of the world. Help this helps.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:07:06 PM by El_Viejo » Logged

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
g1230g

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »

Your elevation of 11.7 degrees concerns me based on your coordinates. If I figure is correctly, you are in my old home town that starts with c and ends with s. You zip code ends with 201 or 202. And you are definitely not below the horizon. According to my search,  your elevation is 43.1 for Sat 97W. No E sats, they are on the other side of the world. Help this helps.

Thanks for the reply - you would be correct - I am 203...
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:27:36 PM »

What type of channels or what kind of programming are you expecting to get?
g1230g

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »

What type of channels or what kind of programming are you expecting to get?

Thanks for the reply.

Given that I have browsed the channel line ups here and there - I am expecting to get whatever that I can get / pull in based on the equipment that I will have...so I am not really expecting anything in particular.

My biggest question is - would I limited access to only one sat given my location or with possibly two dish's typically are you able to pull in a second sat?
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »

You should be able to get satellites from 30 west to 133 west at your location. This assumes that you have a clear view of the southern sky in the direction of these satellites. Probably the best thing to do in your situation is to get some decent equipment that does not cost a lot of money and do some tests.

A decent c band dish will need to be about 3 meters or roughly ten feet in diameter, and a decent dish for the ku band will need to be at least 1.2 meters or roughly 4 feet in diameter. It would be a good idea to see if you can locate an used dish to start with. There is no need to spend hundreds of dollars in equipment costs only to find that you are not happy with the results or cannot use the results.

There are two ways to receive the satellites from 30w to 133w. You can install a bunch of fixed dishes that are aimed at the satellites you want to target, or you can get a motorized dish system that will move the dish antenna automatically when you select a certain satellite.

To start in this hobby, I suggest keeping it simple. Find a decent used satellite dish, or repurchase a decent low cost ku dish.  You can get a new ku dish that is around 1 meter in diameter without spending a lot of money. You can also purchase an inexpensive satellite finder that is more or less a miniature fta receiver for a modest price. You can upgrade your antennas and other equipment once you have successfully aimed a satellite dish, and located some tv channels that you would like to watch.

There are hundreds of satellite channels that can be received for free from your location if you can "see the sky", and have the equipment to receive them. But I suggest as a start, do not spend a lot of money until you see some results, and want to improve your fta satellite system.
El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 07:38:56 PM »

It was all 201 when I was there. Do you dabble in other electronics as well? These guys have put better than I can. Barring obstructions to the south, the sky is the limit. Receiver will be the most important is some cases. 97W Ku has a lot of channels. English as well as other languages. Some religious channels, China, RT Russia Today. etc/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 07:41:47 PM by El_Viejo » Logged

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
g1230g

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 03:07:45 PM »

You should be able to get satellites from 30 west to 133 west at your location. This assumes that you have a clear view of the southern sky in the direction of these satellites. Probably the best thing to do in your situation is to get some decent equipment that does not cost a lot of money and do some tests.

A decent c band dish will need to be about 3 meters or roughly ten feet in diameter, and a decent dish for the ku band will need to be at least 1.2 meters or roughly 4 feet in diameter. It would be a good idea to see if you can locate an used dish to start with. There is no need to spend hundreds of dollars in equipment costs only to find that you are not happy with the results or cannot use the results.

There are two ways to receive the satellites from 30w to 133w. You can install a bunch of fixed dishes that are aimed at the satellites you want to target, or you can get a motorized dish system that will move the dish antenna automatically when you select a certain satellite.

To start in this hobby, I suggest keeping it simple. Find a decent used satellite dish, or repurchase a decent low cost ku dish.  You can get a new ku dish that is around 1 meter in diameter without spending a lot of money. You can also purchase an inexpensive satellite finder that is more or less a miniature fta receiver for a modest price. You can upgrade your antennas and other equipment once you have successfully aimed a satellite dish, and located some tv channels that you would like to watch.

There are hundreds of satellite channels that can be received for free from your location if you can "see the sky", and have the equipment to receive them. But I suggest as a start, do not spend a lot of money until you see some results, and want to improve your fta satellite system.

Thanks for the reply...sounds like a reasonable way to get going.
g1230g

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »

It was all 201 when I was there. Do you dabble in other electronics as well? These guys have put better than I can. Barring obstructions to the south, the sky is the limit. Receiver will be the most important is some cases. 97W Ku has a lot of channels. English as well as other languages. Some religious channels, China, RT Russia Today. etc/

Thanks for the post.

Yes, the city has grown although I have only been back here for about 5 years. I dabble somewhat - enough to get by....FYI I am a Linux user as well.

Anyway - I think that my biggest question has sort of been answered..."what is available for me to view in the sky"...it sounds like multiple sats may be visable dependent on what equipment I use and how well I am able to establish a decent line of sight...thanks again.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: