LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
September 25, 2020, 04:35:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: STAB HH-90 Ku Band Dish Motor ON SALE  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50773.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: set-upUSALS (can't seem to find the arc)  (Read 710 times)
stephenthebeaner

« on: August 05, 2020, 05:09:06 PM »

I am new to FTA. I have a 30" dish with a Geosat pro SL1PPL LNB. I have a Rotosat HH90 motor.  I am using a Linkbox 9000i receiver. I went through great lengths to get my mast vertical. I live 20 miles north of St. Louis. My long. is 90.20N and lat. is 38.94W. This is set in my receiver. The lat. set for the motor is 39.9+-.  The dish elevation is 39+-.  The nearest south satellite is Galaxy 19 (97W). When I go to Galaxy 19 I get 98% signal and 98% quality.  Here's the problem; When I go to any other satellite I get almost no signal. This dish moves and the azimuth seems correct with a compass. It seems as though I am not on the correct arc.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:04:33 PM »

Hello & Welcome to this forum!

First problem is, your latitude should be 38.9 North, and your longitude should be 90.20 West. These settings need to be entered correctly in the receiver.
stephenthebeaner

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »

sorry,  It is correct in my receiver, I simply transposed it in my message.  I have been tinkering with the dish elevation and rotor elevation and am getting a few more satellites, but not what I think I should ( about five).  I am using a meter and get signal with the meter but not enough for the receiver to scan any channels.
pacesetters
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »

try to rotate the dish down to sat 125 and see if you can get a signal,untie dish slightly and move dish slightly up and down slowly,and left and right slowly.if you fine that sat,tighten dish and move dish up to sat 97,might have to slightly adjust.try that and see what happen.it works for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 01:31:57 PM »

Probably best at this point to put the sat meter away and use the meter in the receiver.

Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-28.html

The satellites at 89W or 91W will be around a degree from due South for your location. Line up with either one of these satellites, and carefully adjust your dish for the best signal. Slightly push, then slightly pull at the top bottom and each side of the dish while watching the signal meter on the receiver. Adjust for the highest possible signal, then move to the next available satellite.

For example, if you use 89w as the center (due south) satellite, then peak the dish for the best signal on 89w, and then try to get a signal on 87w, followed by 91 west. Slowly move away from your center satellite.

Tp 11756h is a 24 hour transponder on 89w.

Get a piece of paper and plot the satellites that you can get on either side of the center satellite. Once a few satellites are plotted on both sides of the center satellite, then you can determine what adjustments are needed to get the rest of the arc.

Being located at 90w, and then jumping to the satellite on 97w, and then trying to find 125w after that will not be easy. Set up a motorized dish in a methodical way. The dish will be the highest at due south and will drop slowly in elevation as the dish moves away from the center satellite in either direction.
philanna1
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »

I'm kind of a "Do you have gas in the tank?" kind of guy. You say you are using a meter, which is great. Have you checked channel line-up with the channels on sathint.com for 97W? Maybe you are on 99W... I know I'm going to take flack for this, but sometimes, and I've made these kind of mistakes, the simplest fixes are the easiest fixes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:25:21 PM by philanna1 » Logged

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984
stephenthebeaner

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 08:12:10 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.  I'll try some of your suggestions when I have time and it cools down (dish is on the roof).  I'll let you know the outcome.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 10:13:57 PM »

The roof is the worst place to adjust a motorized dish. If possible, you might want to move the dish to the ground and adjust it to track the arc, then move it to the roof.

A 30 inch dish may be able to receive transponders from 2 or 3 different satellites at one orbit location. A 30 inch dish is a bit easier to find a satellite signal as compared to a 1.2 meter ku dish, but it is harder to get a 30 inch dish to track the arc with the best possible signal because it has a large beam-width as compared to a 1.2 meter dish. A 1.2 meter dish is a bit harder to to aim because it has a smaller beam-width as compared to a 30 inch dish, but the 1.2 meter dish rejects signals from nearby satellites much better than the 30 inch dish.

Here is a general check list for a ku motorized dish:
(1) The motor pole must be as straight or plumb as possible in all directions (North, South, East, West). A leaning motor pole will cause unusual tracking issues.
(2) Set Motor Elevation, and dish elevation per the instructions that should be included with the motor.
(3) When USALS is being used, Enter the correct coordinates for your location in the receiver, then use the receiver to call the center or due South satellite. (The dish motor will probably move a little bit when doing this step).
(4) Adjust the dish for best signal at center satellite.  Always make physical adjustments at the center satellite. Avoid making physical adjustments at other satellites besides the center satellite.
(5) Gradually add satellites on the East and West sides of center.  A ku motor that is correctly adjusted can track satellites 50-60 degrees in either East or West directions.

There are several ways of doing a motorized dish alignment. There is really no wrong or right way to do things since this is a hobby.  It is possible to set up a motorized dish using any satellite. But trying to immediately find a satellite that is 20 degrees or more away from center usually doesn't work for more than one reason. This is why I suggest gradually finding the satellites, plotting a signal, and determining if the dish is too high or too low for a particular satellite.

A motorized dish that can track 50-60 degrees in either direction will probably be aimed to within a degree of center on the mounting pole (left/right), the dish elevation will probably be aimed within a degree (up/down), and the motor declination will be set within a degree. This is not easy to do when you consider there are 360 degrees on the dish motor pole.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: