LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
October 31, 2020, 03:41:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GEOSATpro HDVR3500 Updated Sat List 121519  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50147.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recommendation on best receiver available today  (Read 777 times)
tehp

« on: October 05, 2020, 06:58:23 PM »

I have a 10' mesh dish with a 4DTV 922 to move it and a Manhattan 1933 receiver. Now I want to set up a Ku dish for more reception. Is the 1933 with a firmware update sufficient for what I want to do or is there another receiver that will do better and be easier to use. The 1933 seems fussy to use—I always have to think through the process for what I need to accomplish. Pray, inform me gentlemen. More questions to come.

tehp
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

"I never lied to you."

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:25:06 PM »

Hello tehp,

Question for you - do you like to blind scan and check for feeds often, or do you just want to watch tv?

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:48:07 PM »

Check these two sections:
http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=53.0

http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=34.0
tehp

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »

I mostly watch. Don't scan often—once a week or so.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 06:32:59 PM »

I do not understand exactly what you want or what you are looking for in a fta receiver. If you are having a hard time understanding the features or basic operation of the 1933, then there is nothing I can suggest. The 1933 was one of the simplest fta receivers to use that I know of.

Maybe a better way of doing this would be for you to look carefully at various fta receiver models, then ask questions about a specific model you are interested in. As it is now, I have no idea what you want, what you need, or what you can or cannot use.
skymaster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »

tehp,

I use an openbox z5. works 100% receives very very well and locks onto weaker signals than some receivers i have owned. I use this one for most of my fixed dishes. i dont scan those sat but once a month since the channels on those are pretty stable.Only time i scanned them is when i installed them.My wife prefers it over the other ones that have dish motors because its just like having cable service.I have 4 dishes with 3 lnbfs on each with switches.openbox z5 handles it pretty good.

oh and when i scan, i blindscan. it gives a broad bandwidth to catch channels. if you just transponder scan,the sat could have changed transponder settings etc. blindscan is the way to go. in my own opinion.

skymaster
tehp

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 06:44:10 PM »

Thanks skymaster. Haven't heard of the openbox z5 to will research. You have 4 dishes with 3 lnbfs. Are the dishes on the same mount and does that mean you pick up 12 satellites? As I say I'm new to this fta stuff.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

"I never lied to you."

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 07:20:10 PM »

For ease of use, i would recommend the Linkbox 9000i HD LOCAL FTA receiver

This would be my recommendation if all you want to do is simply watch tv. Easy to use interface, has PVR capabilities, and you can connect your OTA antenna to it to watch and record your local channels too.

Next step up would be Geosatpro HDVR3500. This is a bit harder to learn and get used to, but also has PVR function with the addition of Internet Radio channels, and some IPTV channels (high speed internet required). Does not support local channels though.

After that, Edision Mio or Octagon that run Enigma 2. Steep learning curve on these, but they have all sorts of bells and whistles, can be customized in many ways, etc..

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
tehp

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 10:54:53 AM »

Thanks Hyper for the receiver recommendations. The research is getting bigger. But a new question:I have an old Chaparral C/Ku feedhorn on my 10' dish. It is not scanning in some C band transponders on a satellite that has a strong signal. Will changing to a C band only feedhorn improve the signal to pull in the missing transponders?
Also, I can't get a strong signal on some satellites. Is this related to my first question?

tehp
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 01:31:23 PM »

Changing the feed may or may not improve the signal, depending on what the problem is.
There is no information on how you got this satellite system, how long you have had it, and what you are wanting to use it form. More information from you in these areas may help.

Missing or weak signals can be cause by many things, but a couple of common causes would be improper dish alignment or bad feed parts such as lnb. Your current dish system has a mechanical probe in it that changes from horizontal to vertical polarization. If this probe is not moving correctly, then your signal may suffer, and/or you may might not get either the horizontal or vertical polarity. Wasps and other insects like to build nests inside the lnb feed tube, so this area needs to be checked carefully. An inspection mirror may help for this check.

Your current system uses 2 lnbs, one for c  band, and another for ku band. You could change to a lnbf for c band, but doing so would pretty much eliminate the ku option unless you mount a separate ku lnb on the dish. Parts are available to fix your Chaparral C/Ku feed, and this system will probably give a superior signal over any lnbf if the correct parts are used in the Chaparral C/Ku feed.

As for the fta receivers mentioned here, all of them are around 5 years or older and will not have the latest features except for the enigma2 receivers. All of them except the enigma2 receivers mentioned here will pretty much do the same thing your Manhattan 1933 will do, provided your 1933 is "healthy". The Linkbox has an option for atsc or OTA, and the Geosat 3500 has a decent or respectable blindscan with some iptv capability, but other than these three items, all of the receivers mentioned here pretty much do the same thing except for the enigma2 models. All of the receivers mentioned here besides the enigmna2 receivers Do Not have any manufacture support in the form of software updates or maintenance.

Edision Enigma2 MIO/MIO+ models have an option to add atsc or OTA capability, plus options for iptv, Kodi, Youtube, and other media options.  The MIO receivers have a decent or respectable blindscan, can resolve transponders from 45000 to 60000 symbol rate, and can receive T2MI, DVB-S2X transponders. The MIO receivers also work good on 16/32 apsk transponders. The other receivers mentioned in this thread that are not enigma2 cannot receive T2MI, DVBS2X transponders or transponders with a symbol rate over 45000. It is also questionable as to how well the non-enigma2 receivers mentioned in this thread receive 16/32 apsk transponders as no one seems to have documented any.

As mentioned earlier, the Manhattan RS1933 is one of the easiest to use and operate receivers.  If you are having difficulties with the Manhattan menus and basic operations, then you will probably have more problems with a new receiver.  The Edision enigma2 receiver is not a complicated piece of equipment, but it has more menus and options because it has a lot more features as compared to non-enigma2 receivers mentioned in this thread. Downloadable manuals are available for the enigma2 receivers, and I would suggest you study the manual before purchasing the enigma2 receiver. The Edsion MIO receivers have software options that make it easier to use in North America. These options were added to make the receiver more pleasant to use in North America, and also make it easier to operate. Currently, no other enigma2 receiver has these software options.

skymaster
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »

tehp,
yes i receive 12 satellites with 4 dishes. they are located in a section of the yard next to one another on their own mounting pole. I guess i could stack them and put them on one post, but i prefer the separate mounting posts for them. openbox z 5 ,for me is easy operation. and has a great receive frontend. had this receiver for 4years? now. only thing i do is disconnect the cable to it when i leave for shopping or visiting someone. Never know when a storm will pop up. Its simple, clean format and easy to use. Just my opinion. My wife hates operating anything that doesnt remind her of a cable box.She loves this.

The dishes for fta, are all rescued dishes from the scrap ,or found next to the road ready for the garbage trucks. 2 are old hughesnet dishes,one wildblue dish and one directtv dish that is the oval one slimline i believe. I also have a glorystar dish i bought at a hamfest for $20 dollars which i use separately, and a wineguard 10ftcband dish o talked the couple out of .i had to take the pole that went with the dish.Board,some chain and an old car jack pulled the cemented pole right out.

openbox z5 is a great one. easy to use. after installing a dish with lnbf,just scan. whatever channels are there it stores in memory after asking you if you want to save it. thats it. only down fall is it doesnt have over the air tuner,but we dont suffer one way or the other.You can connect internet to it, also

skymaster
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

Where can you buy a new Openbox z5??????
skymaster
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »

ebay.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 10:56:12 AM »

The only listing I see for openbox z5 on Ebay is a wall charger...

skymaster
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 10:58:47 AM »

yep !!!!!!!!!!,

ebay. bought it for less than $80 dollars plus no shipping.

I went on ebay and when i found one that had demod of at leat 16 to 32, i found 10. then i went to the prices. next one i buy for my other room will have 4k ability.

petty simple, GOOGLE IT. it led me to ebay.Some people may not like the answer, but when you are doing this for a hobby and for enjoyment

i go for the 1. quality and 2. price and 3. shipping.when dealing with ebay. And it has to be a USA seller too. I had an openbox s9 and it was a great one until it quit. fried. had it for years. went on line to find another openbox s9 and the search came up with a newer openbox z5.WAHLAH.

pretty simple.

skymaster
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: