LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
February 26, 2021, 02:34:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GEOSATpro HDVR3500 Updated Sat List 061320  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50147.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Product Review - Edision OS Mini 4K  (Read 355 times)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« on: January 16, 2021, 11:03:42 PM »

I recently purchased one Edision OS Mini 4K to be used on a single 3 meter satellite dish that is set for c band only. The Mini 4K was a good choice for this system because it has a single tuner, and all the basic features of the Edision MIO/Mio+ receivers. After running this receiver a few days, I am surprised someone in the U.S. is not selling it.

The Covid problem has had a tremendous impact on fta receivers. Usually I would have already seen several new fta receivers that were either beginning to come to the retail market or were being advertised as being ready for the retail market within weeks. Currently, nothing really new exists, and most of what is being sold as new is pretty much a collection of old parts in a new case.

The OS Mini 4K was released right at the beginning of year 2020, and is basically a stripped version of the MIO/MIO+ receivers. I could get into the very details of what is missing in the Mini 4K as compared to the MIO/Mio+ receivers, but the part that I use, which is satellite reception is identical.

A small group works on and assembles software, which is called an image for the MIO/Mio+ receivers. The OS Mini 4K is very similar to the MIO/MIO+, so adding North American support to it was easy. Blindscan and satellite reception is equal to the MIO/MIO+ receivers. I have made several simultaneous scans of different satellites with the MIO+ and Mini 4K receivers. The results are very similar, and the MIO+ usually comes up a bit short on transponders and channels, but that is to be expected because it is also sitting behind more hardware. The Mini 4K has a single coax attached to it, running straight to the c band multiswitch.  

Attached are a few pictures of the Mini 4K. I find it to be a decent receiver with a 2 year warranty. For heavy media use such as Kodi, a MIO or MIO+ would probably be better choices. But for a single tuner satellite receiver, the OS Mini 4K does an excellent job. It doesn't hurt to have software designed for North America in the receiver either.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:43:03 PM by Hyper » Logged
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

The NEW HYPERMEGASAT.com website!

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 11:07:51 PM »

Topic Stickied

smiley

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »

The Edision receivers that I have mentioned on this forum pretty much have an Open Source operating system, but the tuner drivers and some other things are Closed Source.

Recently I purchased a decent set of lnbs that have a l.o. of 5750. Currently there is no option for this l.o. in the Mini 4K receiver menus. This lnb could be used with User defined settings, but blindscan will not work correctly. Since the receiver operating system is Open Source, I can add the 5750 l.o. lnb to the menu, and should also be able to adjust the blindscan plugin code so it will scan this lnb correctly. You cannot do this with a Closed Source Receiver. If an option that you need is not available in a Closed Source receiver, then you will need to ask the manufacturer to add it, which may or may not happen.

Add-on features or Plugins such as YouTube can be updated in an Open Source receiver by the user, providing an update is available.  Add-on features or Plugins such as YouTube cannot be updated by the user in most Closed Source receivers.
Support for YouTube and other media options in Closed Source receivers is usually measured in months.
Support for YouTube and other media options in Open Source receivers is usually measured in Years.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:25:06 PM by elbandido » Logged
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:38:51 PM »

The 5750 l.o. and blindscan has been successfully added!  The new range for blindscan with the 5750 l.o. is 3625-4800 Or 3.625GHz to 4.8GHz. It is nice to have access to the transponders above 4200.

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: