LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Aug 14 2022 10:59:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K HD265 V1.5.63 Firmware 062322 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51812.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better than a coat hanger  (Read 1285 times)
tds04

« on: Nov 25 2009 12:13:06 »

Pretty neat antenna.

Code:
http://mysite.verizon.net/res11d41p/id2.html

Easy to build i made one in an afternoon from scrap parts.
I have never had much luck with the coat hanger antenna, but with my quick version of this i got 16 channels analog 1 digital.
When the weather gets better i hope to build one similar to this.

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #1 on: Dec 02 2009 11:16:10 »

That is actually a pretty nice design, and from what i read, not too much cost if you have the parts laying around.

It looks good, and tds04 says it works good so it looks like a winner to me!

Nice post man, thanks.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
buzz
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10 2010 05:50:26 »

WOW Really nice build.  I think I'm gonna get into some OTA HD this spring or summer.

Buzz

I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad. Sometimes, I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it if I am; Otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.
professorbolin

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08 2010 10:30:30 »

can we ask for some more photos and some instructional suggestions please? I want to build one!
Grampybox
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15 2010 12:56:23 »

can we ask for some more photos and some instructional suggestions please? I want to build one!

I went to the site in tds04's post, and there are detailed instructions there.

*personal comment:*
This design looks more stable than the "bowtie" design that doesn't support wildlife perching on them.
*/comment*

Even my wife is bugging me to go to Lowes on a parts run  ;D
Grampybox
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17 2010 09:27:02 »

After reading the text (several times  ::coffeeread), downloading the pictures & blowing them up for more detail  ;D, Going Shopping (I didn't have anything on hand). I got 1 built.
I was too exited to waste time gluing up the PVC Joints, and mounted it on a 30 ft. pole. Roughly pointing in the direction of Louisville, KY. (about 50+ miles away), I gained 6 channels, & the signal strength doubled over the now 1 year old DB8 I constructed.
In all fairness to the DB8, the elements on the GH was made with 6g copper wire, while the DB8 only had 10g for the bowties. While it is down I plan to use the leftover 6g wire, and redo the bowties, as well as a few other "tweaks", and retest it.

I noticed the photo tds04 posted was two GHs stacked. I have been toying with the idea of mounting two side by side to see if I can get more /channels/gain,

Below is what I bought, & why I used certain parts over what was described in tutorial.

My Grey-Hoverman Antenna Shopping List
Everything was bought at Lowe’s. Not because I particularly like them, but they are basically the only game in town.  Besides, they are used to me buying things for use in a “non conventional manner”
PVC Parts
•   5- ½”  cross                                   @  $0.87                                     $4.35
•   4-1/2” tees                                     @  $0.33                                     $1.32
•   1-1/2”X10ft. Pipe                             @  $1.67                                     $1.67

CPVC Parts
•   12-1/2” couplings                             @  $0.19   disc. -$0.02 ea              $2.04
•   10-1/2” Caps                                   @ $0.25    disc. -$0.02ea               $2.76

Copper Parts  *See notes on these parts*
•   2-1/2”X10ft  type M pipe                   @ $8.67                                      $17.34
•   1-25 ft roll AWG6 Wire                       @ $21.59                                    $21.59

Lexan AKA Lucite, Plexi-glass
•   1 12”X20”X1/4” “drop piece                @ $6.00                                      $6.00

Nut & Bolts & such
•   2-packs #10 brass washers                @ $1.18                                      $2.36
•   2-packs #10-32X3/4 screws w/nuts     @ $1.18                                      $2.36

Total cost for “grocery items                                                                       $61.79
This does not include Indiana sales tax of 7%

*Notes on the large amount of copper.*
The AWG6 Wire was only available in 25 ft. rolls.
The GH design requires app. 12 ft of ½” pipe. A 2 ft. piece cost $6.something, while the 20 ft was $8.67. so now I have a good start on the second one. :)

I cut the copper pipe into
•   8-12.05” pieces
•   4-11.6 pieces

I cut the PVC pipe into
      For the Spine
•   4-1.5” pieces which ultimately got trimmed to let the tees & crosses butt together
•   4-4in pieces
      For the Element support
•   3-app 4” pieces.  

*note* I skipped the step where he cut the 1.5” CPVC  for the support tees, and just used the regular PVC pipe, adjusting the length to compensate about 4" each. This also eliminated reaming the PVC.

I cut the Plexi-glass into 3-1.5”X6” pieces
This width accommodated the 7/8”  spade bit needed for the counter sink (I eyeballed it to about ½ way through or 1/8” deep) for the PVC which has a larger outside diameter.

I used the ½” CPVC couplings instead of cutting Cpvc pipe for connecting the reflector pieces (copper pipe) to their respective tees. In using these “shortcuts", I did not have to buy a stick of CPVC pipe which is more expensive than PVC.

I hope this information proves to be helpful The prices shown are the market prices for my area. your prices may be different.

Grampy ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 19 2010 03:32:27 by Grampybox » Logged
father-oreilly

xxx

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25 2010 08:47:58 »

Neat

“Half of everything I have ever been told was a complete and utter lie;
The other half was a conveniently constructed lie!"
loach71

« Reply #7 on: May 30 2011 09:40:02 »

Nice work. It looks like an expanded version of a Gray-Hoverman UHF antenna.
From what site did you obtain the construction plans?
« Last Edit: May 30 2011 09:42:36 by loach71 » Logged
bjpython
Dish Master
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: Aug 09 2011 07:48:57 »

Very nice!  a double hoover is very good product. they totally do far better than the ones you buy at the store. even better when on a preamp!
I made a few myself, however I cant keep a large size in my park we live in so I cant keep it outside.
I did post some pics of simples ones I made within the sizes allowed.
I just put em outside when I want to watch some OTA.
My favorite is the copper tubing yagi which pulls in more channels farther out than the hoover, Its light weighted too.

The main trick is to find a good signal, is finding the right spot ( height and clearance ).
I found that just moving the antenna up or down by just 2 inches can either loose or GAIN channels even if pointing the same direction.

Lexium DBS 7000, Mercury II Fortec 
Openbox HD S9, GeoSatPro MicroHD
18" Dish500 for circulars feeds.
30" KU dish, 90cm HotDish,
Several homemade dishes in 4ft to 6 ft.
6FT Uni mesh expanable to 8FT,
6ft 69er solid dish w/ Actuator arm.
6ft Viking dish w/ 2 Actuator arms
bjpython
Dish Master
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09 2011 07:59:00 »

Even some friends of mine have like a 12 ft antenna on their roof,
have taken it down and set the ones I made for them in place, no more than 30 in, they all say it pulls in more channels for them.
The performance of these antennas are so much more better in quality and receptions, and it doesnt have to cost alot! Some can be as low as $10 for parts, PVC, Aluminum strips and channels, etc,, the imaginations is yours to create.  Even a coat hanger DB4 works well and made for 5.00 or nothing if you have those items around the home!

Lexium DBS 7000, Mercury II Fortec 
Openbox HD S9, GeoSatPro MicroHD
18" Dish500 for circulars feeds.
30" KU dish, 90cm HotDish,
Several homemade dishes in 4ft to 6 ft.
6FT Uni mesh expanable to 8FT,
6ft 69er solid dish w/ Actuator arm.
6ft Viking dish w/ 2 Actuator arms
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: