LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jul 03 2022 01:46:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K HD265 V1.5.63 Firmware 062322 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51812.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DISEqC for Dummies (Wikipedia)  (Read 2497 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« on: Jan 14 2009 12:56:37 »

This might be of interest to anyone with a Receiver, a Motor, or a Switch. Discusses the differences between Diseqc 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 etc... and what each is used for, and there is even a chart to see what works with what.

DISEqC according to Wikipedia

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiSEqC

Diseqc (Digital Satellite Equipment Control), pronounced "Die-Sec", is a special communication protocol for use between a satellite receiver and a device such as a multi-dish switch or a small dish Antenna rotor. Diseqc was developed by European satellite provider Eutelsat, who which now acts as the standards agency for the protocol.

Diseqc relies only upon a coaxial cable to transmit both bidirectional data/signals and power. Diseqc is commonly used to control switches and motors, and is claimed to be more flexible than 13/18 volt and 22 kHz tone or ToneBurst/MiniDiSEqC techniques. Diseqc is also compatible with the actuators used to rotate large C band dishes if used with a Diseqc positioner. Despite its name, it has been used on fully analogue or only partially digital-capable (Astra Digital Radio) satellite receivers.

A number of variations of Diseqc exist:

Diseqc 1.0, which allows switching between up to 4 satellite sources
Diseqc 1.1, which allows switching between up to 16 sources
Diseqc 1.2, which allows switching between up to 16 sources, and control of a simple horizontal-panning satellite motor
Diseqc 2.0, which adds bi-directional communications to Diseqc 1.0
Diseqc 2.1, which adds bi-directional communications to Diseqc 1.1
Diseqc 2.2, which adds bi-directional communications to Diseqc 1.2

All four variations were standardised by February 1998, prior to general use of digital satellite television. The later versions are backwards compatible with the lower revisions, but the lower revisions are, somewhat obviously, not forward compatible with the higher revision numbers. 1.x and 2.x versions are both backwards and forwards compatible.

This table shows what works and what doesn't:
(RCVR = Receiver, SW = Switch, MT = Motor)

1.0 SW 1.1 SW 1.2 MT 2.0 SW 2.1 SW 2.2 MT

1.0 RCVR yes no no yes no no
1.1 RCVR yes yes no yes yes no
1.2 RCVR yes yes yes yes yes yes
2.0 RCVR yes no no yes no no
2.1 RCVR yes yes no yes yes no
2.2 RCVR yes yes yes yes yes yes

Do note that a 1.x receiver will not be able to receive communication from a switch or motor. Usually this is not important, as the switch or motor can be controlled by the receiver without problems.

Eutelsat apparently developed the system to allow satellite users in Continental Europe to switch between the more popular SES Astra 1 block of satellites and Eutelsat's own Hot Bird system. As a result, the vast majority of European satellite receivers support Diseqc 1.0 or higher, with the notable exception of all set top boxes manufactured under the Sky Digibox name. All supporting receivers have received certification to carry a logo specifying which variation of Diseqc they support.

Also often found are the terms Diseqc 1.3 and 2.3 used by manufacturers and retailers to refer to the use of Diseqc with other protocols. For example, 1.3 usually refers to a receiver which uses USALS in conjunction with the Diseqc 1.2 protocol. Such terminology has not been authorised by Eutelsat.

::reading

« Last Edit: Jun 18 2018 08:07:22 by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
bynch
Wildfeed Expert
Honored Member

« Reply #1 on: Jan 14 2009 03:22:37 »

wow you no your stuff
sunshines2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14 2009 06:56:56 »

does the diseqc swich hook to the dish outside or what
bynch
Wildfeed Expert
Honored Member

« Reply #3 on: May 18 2009 05:17:33 »

dmsi switchs are the best my other switchs i would have to reboot a lot to change sats
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 18 2009 06:59:28 »

does the diseqc swich hook to the dish outside or what

Hi sunshines2,

Yes and no. The switch goes between the receiver and LNB of course but you dont have to have it outside. It is preferred to have it as close to the dish as possible but if your coax run from the receiver to the LNB is not that long the switch will function inside.

I always install mine right next to the dish and i always use a weather covered switch.

For me this makes it easy to service the dish, everything is right there.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
bassist
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 18 2009 08:21:14 »

My switches are close to my dishes, which are 150+ feet from my stbs. I now have a couple of extra 4x1 disceqs so I'm thinking about experimenting trying switching near my stbs instead of near the dishes. If it works, it would be a lot more convenient in several ways.
Slayers
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08 2009 07:50:00 »

All of my switches are inside close to all the STB . the longest cable runs on my setup is 100 feet

so i never had any issues locating all switches inside. :2cen

Testing (1)TBS.6922.PCIe Express Satellite TV Card On
Ubuntu-64-Bit-Linux...
Windows-8.1-64-Bit-Build-9600...
Windows-10-64-Bit-Build-10240....
Rainman

Moonshiner

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27 2010 11:24:46 »

As long as the switch is not between the receiver and motor you can mount them anywhere. mine is mounted at the dish with a weather cover.
TurboPirate
Caribbean's FTA Tester
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

True FTA Tester

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20 2013 08:51:04 »

Thanks Hyper, I think I am starting to grasp how this motor thingy works..........................

There are no stupid questions, only stupid that don't ask. Author Anonymous
Testing: SkyBox S12, Sats: 30w, 40.5w, 58w C and KU, on 4 fixed dishes and 4 more waiting to be installed. Working on a Polar mount for offsetdish mod by me inspired by Costa.
Bones57

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20 2013 09:38:56 »

Mine are right behind the stb..convenient,no weather issues..never had a problem..
satman5000
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20 2013 11:00:39 »

I have switches running two different  ways. The switch mounted 5 feet from my linkbox works great.  I have an openbox in the house hooked up to a switch 125 feet away.  That switch also has to pull the signal up to 75 feet away from the dishes.  It hangs up once in a while and I have to reboot to the channel/satellite I want to switch to.  I have had that setup for about 3 years and have had to replace the switch 3 times. It works but I would have to say, closer to the receiver has been better for me. 
I don't set them at the dishes because my dishes are spread all over my yard, roof's, etc.....

1 AZbox premium, 3 openbox's, 1 linkbox8000, 1 pansat9500, 1 Manhattan RS-1933 1 pansat9200 and way to many old coolsat 7100's 6000's 5000's etc to count along with a few old viewsat, viewsonic, pansats and analog stb's.  Currently have four six foot cband dishes.  1 nine foot paraclipse c/k band. 1 four foot kband.  1 36 inch prime focus kband and 1 36 inch offset kband along with several converted old paytv dishes.
owhite47

Old Sat Man

« Reply #11 on: Feb 29 2016 11:16:47 »

I have two universal duel lnbf's and two 4x1 switches not 22mkz the lnb hangs and I have to toggle to get signal...switches about 4 feet from dishes.....I have two 22hkz switches but don't know if they work as a switch or just to change polarity....HELP!
Titanium
Honored Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 29 2016 04:30:17 »

Polarity is changed by the receiver outputting 13Vdc for vertical transponders and 18Vdc for horizontal. When using Universal type LNBFs, it is most compatible to use DiSEqC switches as each Universal LNBF has a built-in 22KHz switch to select low KU band (10.7 - 11.7GHz with 22KHz tone OFF) and high KU band 11.7 - 12.75GHz (with 22KHz tone ON).

The toggling to receive signal indicates that either the DiSEqC switch is not changing between LNBFs, the 22KHz is not switching between bands or the voltage is not switching between the polarities. Only testing and possibly swapping DiSEqC switches or checking the connectors for corrosion or coax for damage.

Important: Power OFF the STB each time the switch or cable is connected or disconnected.

1. Measure the voltage at the coax connector for each LNBF. Should be 13Vdc for a vertical transponder and 18Vdc for a horizontal (+/- 10%).
2. Take the STB out to the dish and use a short coax jumper to connect to the DiSeqC switch and check for proper control.
3. Replace the coax jumper cables between the DiSEqC switch and the LNBFs and check for proper control.
4. Install a new DiSEqC switch and check for proper control

Titanium Satellite
Brian Gohl - AI6US
Proud to Support LegalFreeTo Air
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: Oct 26 2017 09:00:25 »

wow you no your stuff

No sir, i copied and pasted that from Wikipedia!    Cool

DiSEqC - Wikipedia:

Code:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiSEqC

shocked

El_Viejo
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #14 on: Oct 26 2017 10:21:15 »

Casey, where can we find instructions for all the different settings for the 8x1 switches? I still have to play around with the settings to get one to work sometimes. I have looked on the web, but there seems to be a lack of that information.  Viejo

E_V
The old tomcat sat on the backyard fence, his feet were full of blisters; his head was up and his tail was down, and the wind blew through his whiskers.
Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS AMD64 ASUS M4A7XTD EVO
True FTA: DMSI Hotdish90 (37") for 91W, 97W and 103W; Samsung JS851C11 (33") for 123W ITC; DN pro plus for 118 ITC & 125W; Winegard DS3101 1Meter 103W, Prodelin 1.2m for 99W-C.    All going to a Amiko Nano HD, an OpenBox S9, Linkbox 9000i Local, and Manhattan 1978.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: