LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jan 18 2022 02:39:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X V1.0.37 Firmware 080921 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51517.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solomend 800 HD PVR Review  (Read 111087 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

CHECK OUT THE NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM WEBSITE

« on: May 18 2010 11:45:25 »

OK. Lets start this review with a couple of pics from the factory and then the factory specs/features, etc..

Solomend 800 HD PVR FTA Receiver

Here is a couple of pics of the unit front and back:

And Features/Spec's:

MAIN FEATURES

Receive Digital High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition (SD) Satellite Signal
Supports DVB-S, DVB-S2, MPEG-2 & MPEG-4
Digital Video Recorder through USB (external flash or hard drive not included)
Worldwide compatible
Hardware Blind Search DVB-S and DVB-S2
Linux MIPS Operating System
STB main IC solution is ALI , demodulator model is M3501 from Ali
HD DVB-S2 SHARP 7306 Tuner
Multilingual support on screen menu (OSD): English, French, Deutsch, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, Greece, Portuguese, Finland, Holland, Turkish, Czech

Other Features

300 MHz MIPS Processor - Linux OS
Fully compliant MPEG-4 H.264/AVC Main Profile Level 3 & High Profile Level 4.1;
Fully compliant MPEG-2 MP@HL & MP@ML;
Fully compliant MPEG-1 Layer I & II & III,
Dolby Digital Audio(AC3)
SCPC & MCPC receivable from C/Ku band satellites
Multiple LNB-Switching control (supports DiSEqC1.0/1.1/unicable)
Motor Support: DiSEqC 1.2/1.3 (USALS - GoTo X)
MHEG-5
HDMI 1.3 output (HDMI cable not included)
PVR (store on USB external disk)
Multimedia files playback (by USB);
7 Days Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
Teletext and subtitle out through OSD
Multi-lingual DVB subtitle and teletext
Automatic and Manual Channel Scan
Automatic Service Scan
NIT search
Hardware BLIND SEARCH
Fast channel switching < 1 second
OSD in many languages and skin-support
Multilingual support on screen menu (OSD)
LED Display
Multiple display mode: 1080i/720p/570p/576i/480p;
MPEG-2 / H.264 hardware decoding
Videotext Decoder
Analog RCA audio output: stereo (L+R);
Digital audio output: S/PDIF by coaxial
S/PDIF Interface for digital bit stream out (AC-3)
YCbCr Component Video Output
2 x Scart (RGB, FBAS or S-Video)
Screen format: Auto, 4:3, and 16:9;
Upgrade software through USB2.0 port
Powerful user interface program management function, parent lock
1x CI built-in
1x CA (smartcard reader) built-in
10/100Mbit Ethernet Interface

Receiver Specifications

DVB-S2
Input Frequency:950~2150MHz
Loop Out Frequency:950~2150MHz
Input Level:-65~-25dBm
Input Impedance:75
LNB Power: Auto/14v/18v/OFF, Imax = 500mA
Video decoder
Video Compression MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 compatible, H.246
Video Formats 4:3 / 16:9
Letterbox for 4:3 TV-Device
Audio decoder
Audio Compression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I and II, MP3
Audio Mode Dual (main/sub), Stereo
Frequency: 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz
Output digital
Output Level 0,5 Vss on 75 Ohm
Sampled Data Filtering 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
S/PDIF-Output
Video parameter
Input Level FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0.3 dB on 75 Ohm
Teletext filter in conformity with ETS 300 472 Standard
TV-Scart
Output: FBAS, RGB, S-Video
Serial Interface RS 232
RS232 bidirectional
Bit rate 115,2 kBit/s max.
Plug Connector SUB-D-9
Function: Update of Firmware
Ethernet
10/100 MBit compatible interface
Function: Update of Firmware
USB
1 x USB 2.0 Host, PVR
LNB power and polarization per tuner
LNB Current 500mA max.
short-circuit-protected
LNB Voltage vertical < 14V no load, > 11,5V at 400mA
LNB Voltage horizontal < 20V no load, > 17,3V at 400mA
Physical specification
Ambient Temperature +15 C...+35 C
Humidity < 80%
Size (W x D x H): 300 mm x 220 mm x 56 mm (12in x 8.7in x 2in)
Weight: 1,8 kg (4 lbs) without HDD
Power
AC auto input range:100-240VAC 50/60Hz
Consumption (Standby): Max. 10W (<1 W)

What is included in the box:

Solomend 800 HD Receiver
IR Remote Control
User Manual

Notes:

No 4:2:2 video (not supported)
No internal hard-drive included with receiver, you can connect an optional external HD or Flash Memory through USB.

Next I will post some pictures i took of the packaging, etc.. along with my thoughts on it and then i will start testing the unit.

To be continued .....

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 18 2010 01:21:48 »

OK. Here is some pictures i took of the actual product exactly as received.

The gift box, packaging, what comes in the box.

I'm not real crazy about the cat on the box, but hey, it's just a box.

Inside the gift box is the Receiver, Remote Control and 28 page color operators manual. Thats everything. Notice the receiver and remote are wrapped in bubble wrap. Thats a nice touch to make sure it arrives in good condition.

Then finally pics of the front and back of the unit

One thing to note. This receiver is made for the worldwide market. It comes with a European power plug. Not to worry, I can put a US power plug on it if you request it.  I will provide this at no extra cost.

OK. Time to get to testing!

To be continued .........

« Last Edit: Jun 13 2010 06:55:15 by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 18 2010 02:07:08 »

OK. Out of the box and connected to my 42" Flatscreen LCD using the the HDMI Output.

When i powered it up its already in English. The menu looks very nice, easy to navigate so far, picture looks excellent so far.

The software in it from the factory is HDS2-1005. Sats in in go from E 2.0 to W 15.0 No America Sats.

So, I loaded bin HD-0325 Americas from a USB stick, very easy to do. I will write a procedure shortly.

Now those 45 original sats are gone, and i have 55 sats from 63.0W to 139.0W C and Ku in the sat list! Nothing more, which is good, i cant see any other sats from here.

OK. So as my first test I decided to blind scan Galaxy 19 97.0W This is a good sat to scan initially to see how fast and accurate the blind scan is compared to other receivers.

252 TV channels and 133 Radio channels in 2 minutes 11 seconds! I would say thats pretty fast and accurate.

Not bad at all, I am impressed! Ranks among the best Ive tested such as Traxis 3500, Pansat 4500, etc..

Next I will scan a sat with DVB-S2 and HD channels like 125.0W and see how it does there.

So far so good. Here are a few screenshots I found on the internet:

To be continued .........

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 18 2010 04:21:37 »

OK. Scanned 125.0W AMC 21 to check for S2 Signals and also to look at some High Def to check the picture quality.

I am impressed. It took a little over 4 minutes to scan this sat, i guess because of the S2 Transponders?

Anyway it did indeed find the S2 Transponders.

I was just watching TP 12112 V 8703 which is DVB-S2 QPSK, and has the 2 OETA channels.

The OETA HD channel looks beautiful. This box does have a great HD picture!

I also noticed right away that the receiver sends AC3 through the HDMI. You dont have to hook it up to a stereo, AC3 right to your tv if your tv supports it. (Also tested on OETA channels. If not, you will need to run it through a Dolby Digital stereo for AC3 audio like most receivers.

Of course i checked out the PBS East and West HD channels on 12140 V 30000 and they look great.

I am impressed, and i like this box so far.

You can also push the info button on any channel and if its AC3 audio, 480 or 1080 picture, etc.. lots of info

Now there are a couple of things I dont like.

1) the remote buttons you have to push, they are kind of stiff. And you have to point the remote right at it.

2) so far i cant seem to scan just one transponder, might just be me not finding it but i looked hard

3) sometimes when i change channels i get a quick burst of audio that sounds like a 1 to 2 second static sound on my tv

So the 1st and 3rd thing are kind of annoying, but I can deal with that.

OK. Thats it for today. I'll do some more testing tomorrow, maybe do some motoring, etc..

To be continued ..........

« Last Edit: Jun 13 2010 06:56:51 by Hyper » Logged

xrfever
LFTA Legend

I hope this dont smash my beer can!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 18 2010 11:15:13 »

Very interesting results will receiver pick up any 8psk??? we might have to sign up!! also no card reader if and when they go pay per view but i think u can buy a external one correct??? im sure casey has 20 on the shelf  lol.  does receiver have the internal beep for fine tuning the Q signal ??? and last Question what will this bad boy do on c-band would be very interesting.shoot i want one just to see results..have fun testing casey sounds like a bunch of fun..

2-S-9 open 2-VS ULTRA 1-VS Max 2-SG2100 MOTORS 1-39" Q SAT DISH 1-39" digiwave dish a Qph-031 LNB and one standard ku lnb A 6ft or 185 cm prime focus dish with broken pma 24in motor (bad sensor) using DMX 242 for c-band and 1- 9ft aluminum spun dish with DMX 741 C/KU using ta 24 to move and 2 np-302
bassist
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 19 2010 07:41:29 »

One of you guys (Casey, Tracie or Brat) should also try slaving the Solomend to a CS or Traxis or Pansat in order to use the 'other' receiver as the motor control & allow the Solomend to function in its fixed sat mode.

snook

« Reply #6 on: May 19 2010 07:46:36 »

Mr Hyper, are you going to sell this receiver in Hypermegasat ? It looks great Thanks
kayaker

« Reply #7 on: May 19 2010 08:14:56 »

I've had one of these for about 3 months.
Lots of potential but also a bit quirky.

As Hyper points out, the remote isn't great. There's a fix listed on another forum about opening the remote and relocating the IR LED as it was blocked on one unit. My LED wasn't blocked but I relocated it anyways and it works the same as before, (poor).
Someone said to check the IR receiver in the STB to see if it was blocked, but I haven't opened it up yet.

Also, the software I'm running doesn't allow manual entries of PIDs. Apparently you can use a common sat editor and enter it on your PC and then upload to your Solomend.

There's more quirks than I just mentioned but fixable if/when software updates occur.

T
snook

« Reply #8 on: May 19 2010 08:21:12 »

Thanks a lot for your reply. I expect they will fix these issues.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 19 2010 09:18:11 »

Mr Hyper, are you going to sell this receiver in Hypermegasat ? It looks great Thanks

Yes sir. They are available now:

Price is going to be $189.99 free shipping in the US!

« Last Edit: Jun 06 2016 08:50:06 by Hyper » Logged

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 19 2010 09:20:38 »

Very interesting results will receiver pick up any 8psk??? we might have to sign up!! also no card reader if and when they go pay per view but i think u can buy a external one correct??? im sure casey has 20 on the shelf  lol.  does receiver have the internal beep for fine tuning the Q signal ??? and last Question what will this bad boy do on c-band would be very interesting.shoot i want one just to see results..have fun testing casey sounds like a bunch of fun..

Card Reader included: From the specs:

1x CI built-in
1x CA (smartcard reader) built-in

I think yes on 8PSK but will have to get back to you.

Im pretty sure i saw the internal beep you are asking about, will check on that too.

C Band testing i will be doing tomorrow with member doctorgoofy!

Yep, I'm having fun for sure!

sturmey

« Reply #11 on: May 19 2010 09:57:23 »

Wow, this looks pretty good.

Does the network interface work? Can you set up a remote disk on a server and record to that, and does it have the ability to play media from the network and or media from the Internet? I also wonder how "hackable" the Linux OS is, can I install other software that would play back files, or allow for remote control of the box over the network.

It looks like a nice option in place of some of the more expensive HD receivers.

I'm not too worried about needing an adaptor on the plug. I'll have to see if the budget will support a new receiver.
buzz
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 20 2010 02:17:21 »

Wow, this could be the box to make me jump into the HD market!

Buzz

I drink it when Im happy and when Im sad. Sometimes, I drink it when Im alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if Im not hungry and drink it if I am; Otherwise I never touch it unless Im thirsty.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 20 2010 06:59:44 »

OK. Me and forum member doctorgoofy played with the Solomend 800 HD on C Band for a few hours today.

No problems whatsoever. We found some good programming on 91.0W

108 TV and 55 Radio.

Among those, in the clear were,

Fox Movie Channel
Fox Reality Channel
FX East
FX West
Big Ten Network
TV Guide

and the really great stuff we got with the Solomend was

FX West HD
Fox Business News HD
National Geographic HD

We also tested some other C Band sats 89.0W, 131.0W and a couple others. Everything worked great.

Signal Strength and Quality meter worked well, we had to add transponders to find the sats here and there, and that is very easy.

All in all it went very well today.

To be continued .....

tracieok
« Reply #14 on: May 21 2010 01:22:02 »

I also played with my new 800 today as well on C band and find it recieves the network feeds for NBC HD and ABC HD and ION HD just fine as well. Also found on 103w Spike Tv HD , G4 TV HD , Style TV HD and one more i forgot and im up sleep walking at 1am. Enjoy its a fun reciever to use. Only 1 problem so far it does not play AC3 audio thru the HDMI or L/R audio output like my other boxes so you will have to have some kind of AC3 digital amplifer to get the audio to your TV or sound system as the box only has a digital audio output for that.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: