LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jan 18 2022 01:52:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM website  >>> https://hypermegasat.com/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staring over with new dish and I have problems getting on the arc...  (Read 699 times)
cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

2016 Frist World Series Title in 108 years

« on: Apr 11 2015 07:27:32 »

We had a snow storm a couple of months back and some limbs from a neighbors tree fell off and crushed my dish, I had a 10-foot C-band dish. I have gotten a 7.5 foot mesh dish to replace it. It is used, I did not adjust the declination setting because I found it just 6 miles from my house.

I have found signal on one satellite with a SATHERO 500 meter, which has a video display, but it says it can't display a channel even though it says I have 92% signal strength and 76% video quality. (see photo).

I have tried every satellite on the arc and I do not get video quality on any other satellite but this one. The weird part is I get the signal on 72 West C-band, but according to Sathint, there are no active channels on this C-band sat.

I have a BSC 621 C/KU LNBF and am using an RG11 cable, as the cable run is over 150 feet.

Any ideas on what is wrong and what I should try next? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
« Last Edit: Apr 11 2015 07:32:18 by cpsp0 » Logged

I love my Raydx 10.5-footer. It brings in 16APSK feeds quite well! Titanium C1 PLL LNBF & GEOSATpro SL1PLL Ku LNBF to a FreeSat GTC 4K receiver!
logically
Know's FTA

« Reply #1 on: Apr 11 2015 09:57:28 »

What is the nearest south satellite?  You must start with the nearest south satellite that has a transponder that is active.
cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11 2015 10:02:54 »

87 SES-2 is my true south satellite.

I love my Raydx 10.5-footer. It brings in 16APSK feeds quite well! Titanium C1 PLL LNBF & GEOSATpro SL1PLL Ku LNBF to a FreeSat GTC 4K receiver!
Tadpol53
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12 2015 12:00:59 »

Looks to me like your on 87 to 91, time to take the TV, STB to the dish and forget the fancy finder, look for ZNS sd on 87 and i know know you have heard this before adjust,adjust,adjust! good luck,dont give up, you can do it!  smiley
logically
Know's FTA

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12 2015 08:39:22 »

Check the angles, elevation or motor latitude and declination.  Double check that you are tuned to an active transponder.
Find the nearest south satellite.
FTAGardener
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12 2015 10:04:47 »

Check azimuth first. Since the dish was from a few miles away, declination and elevation are likely to be good but nothing is going to work right unless the azimuth is right. With the dish centered which might not be on exactly on 87W, it should be pointing right on the north south axis. This is tricky to align visually. The best way I've found to do it is to lay a string line going south from the center of the dish. This can be done with a good compass. You will have to find out the magnetic declination for your area and a adjust the line according to it. This means that it will be a few degrees from where the needle points. You can get the magnetic declination here:

Code:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/declination.shtml

The longer the line, the easier it is to eyeball the alignment. From the end of the string line, the line should point right to the LNB if it is centered. Using one eye while holding your hand over the other works best. After aligning the dish to the string line nudge it and try to get 87W. If you get a signal on a known transponder, peak the position first and then the Azimuth. Then peak the elevation. Then move the dish to 91W and try it to see if the arc is being tracked. If good, keep going and see what you bring in. Your meter looks like a great tool for this.
« Last Edit: Apr 15 2015 10:52:30 by FTAGardener » Logged

Enough dishes to call it a garden, not enough to call it a farm.

10' steel mesh BUD, 1.2m Ku dish on a SG2100 horizon to horizon motor and 4 Ku dish conversions: A 36" Starband with a 5 lnbs, a 33" Slimline, a 28" Wildblue and a 28" Dish Turbo HD.
cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15 2015 07:57:01 »

Thanks for the advice. I took my TV and STB out to the dish today and found I was on G28 at 89W (I found BYU and Discovery Channels and my Manhattan 1933 listed it as G28(see photo)). I loosened the bolts and tried to turn the dish to find 87W (my true south Satellite) and couldn't find it. Spent four hours searching for it. I then tried to find a satellite on either end of the arc and got no signal reading on any sat, except G28. Do I need to adjust the elevation slightly and try and bump into 87W or what should be my next move? Thanks for the help so far and for any more you can give.

Tadpol53
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15 2015 10:15:28 »

You are on 91!
cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15 2015 11:27:33 »

Thanks. The Manhattan is incorrect then. So I am further away from 87W, than I thought.

jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16 2015 01:43:51 »

Don't think the Manhattan is wrong, you were just on 91 when you scanned in for G-28.  Go 2 deg.east and scan in G-28[89].  Jess out in california

9ft. c/ku Mesh button hook hor to hor. 4dtv922 slaved pansat2500,9500, az prem hd, and a cw3000 at the end of the loop. other boxes in the closet. got the 9500 from Hypermegasat! Can look from 55.5 to 139 west.
cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16 2015 01:51:57 »

Okay Jess, I see what my mistake was. thanks

jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16 2015 02:02:48 »

My post may have been confusing.  You need to losten the mount on the pole and move it a little to the east  You may also need to adjust the elevation also when you do the change.  If your dish is not pointed "true south" at the highest piont of the dish "swing" It will not follow the arc.   The first step in setting up a dish is to make sure the pole is plumb.  The second step is to point the dish to true south.  If 87[ses-2] is your true south then you are a lucky person.  Most of the time a sat may be close to true south but not right on, and you will have to adjust the dish as needed.  Jess out in California.

9ft. c/ku Mesh button hook hor to hor. 4dtv922 slaved pansat2500,9500, az prem hd, and a cw3000 at the end of the loop. other boxes in the closet. got the 9500 from Hypermegasat! Can look from 55.5 to 139 west.
jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16 2015 02:16:03 »

I have moved my dish twice.  First time to a house about 13 miles south, and back to the house where I orginally installed it after I sole the other house.  Both times had to do a lot of adjustments to get back on the arc.  I am somewhat lucky because my dish is an old Radio Shack h to h and I have a center mark on my dish gear that is the high point of my dish, but finding true south was still a chalange. It took a lot of going back and forth to the dish and the TV.  Once I got everything alinged I put a mark[scrached into the mount and pole] so I know where true south is.  Hope this is of some help.  Jess out in California

cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16 2015 05:03:25 »

I found that baby! I got on my true south satellite with very little tweaking. Made a mark, like Jess said and then measured how thick the mark was and cut out a piece of paper that wide, then moved the mount. I got SBN on 89W, so I moved it again the same direction the width of the paper. But did not find 87W. So I adjusted the elevation by 1/4 turn. Bingo I was on the mux with the RETRO TV channels (see photo). It's raining now, so I'll have to wait for a sunny day to align the whole arc, but now that I have my true south, it should be about half the battle.

Jimlw1
Know's FTA

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16 2015 09:40:52 »

Congrats cpsp0 - almost there !

And good guiding instructions too, jess73

AIN'T this a great hobby when it all comes together ????

Keep on Keepin on

jimlw1
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: