LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jan 18 2022 02:29:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site Rules - All Members Please Read!  >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My review of the Manhattan DJ-1997  (Read 12087 times)
fluke281

« on: Apr 21 2015 01:59:28 »

My Review of the Manhattan DJ-1997

I wanted to be the first to offer some preliminary comments after spending several hours with this box.
First of all, I was curious about IPTV and there did not seem to be a lot of info on the Net except for advertisements for stand alone boxes and subscription services. This box offers IPTV which uses a different port from Web services (80). I know this because my internet service had issues with web searches last night but the IPTV was still working. It is best for news services since there is too much traffic on movie services during the day and numerous delays and interruptions. This was not the case at 2 AM. The Manhattan box gives you a nice selection of channels and some instructions about how to add others. Now I have CCTV and Al Jazeera and ABC news services without adding dishes. The quality of video varies tremendously.
The satellite tuner is very sensitive and as good as my other boxes. Initial setup is tedious because the channel lineup includes channels on satellites that you are not using. I basically unchecked every bird and checked the three dishes that I have and scanned them. During blind scan, the box appears to attempt to scan its known transponders first. Using transponder scan, some of the info was incorrect for PBS—horizontal vs. vertical was reversed. But this box is designed for the whole world! Blind scan picked up all the channels than I have seen before and was reasonably fast. Controlling a simple Disecq 4 port switch was no problem and there were plenty of choices for LNB’s.
All types of video output work: HDMI (excellent quality), component, and NTSC. The audio output works for regular stereo (red/white) and optical. The volume on the remote controls both which saves adjusting the volume on a surround sound receiver. The audio cannot be picked up from the HDMI cable—neither my monitor nor a surround sound receiver would extract it.
 I have a problem with the video dropping on HDMI in menu mode but not during scanning or while watching IPTV or satellite TV.  This is the fault of my Monoprice video switch. When I connected directly to the monitor, no problem. I also used another small monitor with NTSC (yellow RCA cable) video since HDMI signal loss was common during setup. No problems with component video but when using component, sometimes the Manhattan would default to HDMI when using the various menu functions.
When you choose the SAT button on the remote to choose channels, you should know the name of your satellite because so many are listed. I decided not to go through and delete the ones that I am not using although you can do this . Controlling a simple Disecq 4 port switch was no problem and there were plenty of choices for LNB’s.

I first used a wired network and the box found the network after I specified an IP by just choosing the next available one on my router. The rest of the settings were typical for a  Linksys home network but the box would not pick an IP automatically. I then downloaded the patch for the wireless adapter and it worked great after entering the passcode for my network. The Wi-Fi antenna attaches through a USB port and is oriented either horizontal or downwards only.
The weather function is hilarious! The box thinks that I am in Shipshewana, Indiana and the only options are within 100 miles of that location with no other alternatives. There is a five day forecast function. YouTube is available and you can search by entering terms in the remote.
A few times, when switching between menu functions, the box locked up and the remote would not work, neither did the on/off switch on the box. I had no choice but to pull the power plug.

Part of the problem is the quality of the remote. The previous Manhattan remote was sturdy and sensitive and worked from a wider angle. I got spoiled by this. This remote is almost flexible and definite pressure must be applied on the buttons for it to work correctly. The remote does have some nice features like a single button for IPTV and signal information. I could not pick up a single radio station although this was possible on my other receivers. Perhaps someone will be able to enlighten me on this. The time date function in internet controlled and works great.
This is a Chinese STB as is clear from the network settings page. It is half an inch longer than the Traxis box but otherwise identical in size. It doesn’t get overly warm because of the external, 12 volt switching supply. The circuit board inside the unit is the most compact one that I have ever seen (from the air vent holes). The manual needs a complete rewrite from scratch . It was written by a non native English writer and is the worst that I have ever seen. It even includes instructions about DTV  (OTA?) which is not included in the receiver.
Overall, this box will be very useful for watching new services with IPTV and movies (some in Spanish) late at night. Receiver sensitivity is great. Exploring and navigating the interface was a real adventure without a usable manual. The manufacturer obviously tried to preload satellites and channels which was somewhat helpful but required tweaking. Hopefully, some of the issues with instability during menu functions will be resolved and the manual rewritten. The weather function needs a lot of work! This is obviously a preliminary report so that DVR functions, using  movies and photos will need to be explored. I look forward to patches and contributions from other users.

jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: Apr 21 2015 03:18:53 »

Don't have one of these[yet], but in reading about your blind scan problems, I have found  that it is best to delet the transponders ;except one which is probably instinct because of an AZ problem].  With no transponders in the menu you get a fresh scan without problem.  Thanks for your post though.  Unlike others in the forum, I don't use any s/w's except for two splitters and a mechanical s/w to change from C to KU.   Jess out in California

9ft. c/ku Mesh button hook hor to hor. 4dtv922 slaved pansat2500,9500, az prem hd, and a cw3000 at the end of the loop. other boxes in the closet. got the 9500 from Hypermegasat! Can look from 55.5 to 139 west.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

CHECK OUT THE NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM WEBSITE

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22 2015 10:22:02 »

Thank you for your excellent review fluke281! Regarding your notes on the remote, now that i have had time to use it more, my one issue is the page up/page down buttons. I do not like them at the top. As far as radio channels those should have scanned in if you selected "scan all". I have scanned many in with no problem. You must hit the tv/radio button on the remote to switch to radio mode.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01 2015 09:51:38 »

The audio cannot be picked up from the HDMI cable—neither my monitor nor a surround sound receiver would extract it.

I am hooked up with HDMI only to the TV directly. Then the TV is hooked to a sound bar. No problems with sound. But I do not have a HDMI switch in play. Just for your information.

The weather function is hilarious! The box thinks that I am in Shipshewana, Indiana and the only options are within 100 miles of that location with no other alternatives..........The weather function needs a lot of work! 

My bad... forgot to delete settings. Not that it matters as it is very simple. Hit yellow button to edit when in weather menu. Delete the settings and use the search (red) button. Then just type in the zip code of your town. Save and exit. Done. Repeat for all 4 weather entries. Couldn't be simpler. 

Also fyi... The channels were loaded because of a last minute issue with scanning SES-2 on the C-band side. That is now fixed. So future updates will not have all those channels. G-19 will be mostly there. But the rest will be thinned down.
jess73
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02 2015 11:12:22 »

I,m waiting for a polarity setting in the menu.  The "polarity" in the menu now is really a "voltage" setting for an LNBF.  Jess out in California

9ft. c/ku Mesh button hook hor to hor. 4dtv922 slaved pansat2500,9500, az prem hd, and a cw3000 at the end of the loop. other boxes in the closet. got the 9500 from Hypermegasat! Can look from 55.5 to 139 west.
digitaldan
Honored Member

« Reply #5 on: Jun 03 2015 06:56:45 »

I,m waiting for a polarity setting in the menu.  The "polarity" in the menu now is really a "voltage" setting for an LNBF.  Jess out in California

That is being waited on now. They did some things but wondering if there will be a YouTube fix too before we see it. Maybe adding a polarity option in the scan area like the 1933 is what is needed to have the box lock on only the transponders that are the set for polarity and not see the opposite polarity. I heard the list of issues aware of will be down to two things after next update. After those then hopefully all should be good.  wink  There was a list of things that were elected to be fixed after release of the receiver. That way people could get them and any complaints could be taken care of at the same time. The public are the real testers as there are so many ways to set up a system as far as dishes, switches, and motors are concerned. Bound to be some issues with any new receiver because of that. Have a great day!
« Last Edit: Jun 03 2015 07:10:26 by digitaldan » Logged
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: