LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Aug 14 2022 11:25:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K HD265 V1.5.63 Firmware 062322 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51812.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: arc to satellites is offset, or off center, we are 10/57 of the way out........  (Read 689 times)
scottd

« on: Oct 12 2015 03:07:30 »

To the Satellites. This thread evolved from a previous post. So, that thread kinda moved off topic to this origin of material.

these figures I'm using are close, earth's radius 4,000 miles, satellite geostationary radius 22,300.

Source of info:
Code:
http://www.reformation.org/geostationary-satellites.html

I created a gauge for me to use, the one currently mounted is centered (incorrect like everyone else's), so, I use the gauge on the left to interpret my pointing, until I mount the one on the right. I'm thinking there might be some atmospheric electromagnetic refraction, similar to the way the moon looks larger when it is lower on the horizon. I haven't figured that in yet.

if others want to use this gauge and they are not near 120W, you'll have to center your own longitudes with photoshop or like program.

Any collaboration on this subject matter could be of use, my view to the satellites are limited to 89W to 125W.

ScottD   ::reading

« Last Edit: Oct 12 2015 03:17:28 by scottd » Logged

X2 IV Premium (occasional broken stream lockup), SkyBox F4, both supports USB SR30000 w/class10SD
hdmi/audio switch box
BSC-421 C-Band
Titanium C1W-PLL KU Band
SF95B Satellite Signal Meter
39" Satellite dish with diditmyself extension to 1.4m (4'-8") hand slewing equatorial
mopat

« Reply #1 on: Oct 12 2015 07:24:12 »

Not sure where we are going with this, but geosync satellite orbit altitude is 22,234 miles above mean sea level or 26,199 miles from the center of the earth. Your calculations may be off by some 3919 miles.

If you have a smart phone consider downloading the Norsat Satellite locator or Satellite Director apps;  these will let you "see" the satellites at your location, superimposing them upon your sky--both are free.

WS9036 dish, Spitfire Lnb, Powermax SG9120 rotor, .
10' solid dish with C1-PLL, TBS6982 card running SmartDVB
scottd

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12 2015 11:26:44 »

Oh, dang, I see that now, let me figure this out, again. trying to do this for myself, and then share it with others.

Scott

Not sure where we are going with this, but geosync satellite orbit altitude is 22,234 miles above mean sea level or 26,199 miles from the center of the earth. Your calculations may be off by some 3919 miles.

If you have a smart phone consider downloading the Norsat Satellite locator or Satellite Director apps;  these will let you "see" the satellites at your location, superimposing them upon your sky--both are free.

X2 IV Premium (occasional broken stream lockup), SkyBox F4, both supports USB SR30000 w/class10SD
hdmi/audio switch box
BSC-421 C-Band
Titanium C1W-PLL KU Band
39" Satellite dish with diditmyself extension to 1.4m (4'-8") hand slewing equatorial
scottd

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12 2015 12:22:30 »

Okay, here's the corrected layout. In my view, without correcting for the distance from the earth surface to center of rotation, my uncorrected dial is off by 5 degrees from my furthers east satellite 89w to furthest west satellite 125w. When I physically move the dish from satellite 89w to 125w, it's off by 7 degrees on the uncorrected gauge, 2 degrees more than the drawing, I could have mounted the gauge off center.

I used 10/65 for earths radius to satellite orbit.

Well, that's the idea, I need to do more work on the gauge, and if the gauge isn't mounted centered, it will be off that way to.

Just thought I'd share it with others.

Green indicates the orbit of the satellites, magenta is our arch from earths surface.

ScottD
« Last Edit: Oct 12 2015 08:23:41 by scottd » Logged

hdmi/audio switch box
BSC-421 C-Band
Titanium C1W-PLL KU Band
scottd

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17 2015 04:29:37 »

Okay, did some work on the gauge, I'm finding that x5 from center the distance of earth radius to satellite orbit is very close from 87W to 127W (infact this gauge is right on for what I have setup), there must be atmospheric electromagnetic lensing occurring. This is not scientific, it is not set in stone, so don't take it for granite, oops, granted.

Scott
« Last Edit: Oct 21 2015 06:06:04 by scottd » Logged

hdmi/audio switch box
BSC-421 C-Band
Titanium C1W-PLL KU Band
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: