LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
May 16 2022 04:41:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM website  >>> https://hypermegasat.com/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review of DVBS2 inexpensive Chinese satellite receiver  (Read 11621 times)
fluke281

« on: Oct 21 2015 02:53:30 »

Review of DVBS2 Satellite Box

On E*** or other online sources, you can find these inexpensive Chinese STB’s which only cost about $25, some with free shipping. I knew that there would be issues but for $25, I thought that it was worth a try. The box arrived in a week with only a six dollar shipping charge from China. The STB is tiny, about the length of a dollar bill and very basic. The switching power supply has a European plug but an adapter was provided. The pins on the adapter are rotated 45 degrees but it is easy to twist them with a pair of pliers and insert them into an extension cord and wrap the junction with friction tape for safety. The supply is 12 volts and the unit uses 12 watts and runs rather warm to the touch. The features and output options are very basic.

The box boot up in just a few seconds. The menus are similar to other STB’s and this one also plays video files, shows JPG slide shows, and records program.  There are no Western satellites loaded and no provision to add satellites but you can manually adjust parameters before blind scan. I edited the parameters for three Eastern satellites for my three dishes. The box had no problem with my DiSeq switch (no motor). The STB pickup all channels that I had previously pulled in. The picture quality is just as good as other boxes, both NTSC and HDMI.  Changing channels is very slow but the tuner is as sensitive as any other box that I have owned.

The problem is that you will hear no audio on most stations because the box will not decode Dolby audio. The STB detects it and the correct PID but there is no digital signal coming out the coax port (I tried this with two surround sound receivers). On non-Dolby stations like Montana PBS (125W), the audio is fine on both stereo and coax output.  The non-Dolby audio is even present on the HDMI cable.
Therefore, I would recommend a box like this for use outside with a portable TV for aligning dishes or monitoring a signal. The info display persists until you hit the exit button so the box is great as a signal monitor.  If the box is damaged, you are only out $25!
cpr43
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: Oct 21 2015 03:46:42 »

If using an external Dolby AC3 decoder via the orange coaxial plug at side of the LNB conn , you will need to change in Menu/ TV System/ Digital Audio Out : (change to BS Out) . It will only work when using AV (Yellow/Red/Wht). Will not work if using simultaneously with HDMI. I have one working fine using a Cyberhome AC3 decoder. Will like to mention that it also display some channels EPG correctly (AFN mux @ 99W)

Proud to be a subscription-free household - FTA & OTA only
(1) Dreambox DM800HDse,(1) Linkbox 8000HD Local, GTMedia V8pro2/ Nova
(1) 10' SAM I/Channel Master-Scanning the arc from 43w to 131w
owhite47

Old Sat Man

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02 2017 08:02:22 »

If it has an HD after the dvbs2 then I may have the ac-3 audio solution for you........at you own risk.....and if it updates using the same type file system. Cool
cpsp0
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

2016 Frist World Series Title in 108 years

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02 2017 08:33:28 »

You can spend your money however you wish, but I wish more people would pass these by and buy STBs made in America. The American manufactors are trying to support our hobby. I hope more people will support them.

My 2 cents worth.

peace

I love my Raydx 10.5-footer. It brings in 16APSK feeds quite well! Titanium C1 PLL LNBF & GEOSATpro SL1PLL Ku LNBF to a FreeSat GTC 4K receiver!
owhite47

Old Sat Man

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03 2017 12:42:58 »

that was my first one..........just my 2 cents worth,,,,,,,,now I have 2 dj-1997 and a v8super
 Cool
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: