LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Aug 08 2022 12:23:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K HD265 V1.5.63 Firmware 062322 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51812.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DiSEqC 2.x and N0QBH's DiSEqC code reader/display  (Read 1297 times)
Fearless

FTA all the way

« on: Nov 19 2015 07:44:00 »

I have been thinking about building one of N0QBY's FTA projects. The DiSEqC code reader.  
Code:
http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/satellite/sat_projects.html
It displays DiSEqC commands sent by the receiver to the switches and motor controllers. I understand that the new DiSEqC 2.x protocol is a 2 way communication between the DiSEqC device and the receiver. So do you think the code reader will see the answer back from the 2.x DiSEqC device? That would enable you to make some use of the new technology without having a 2.x compatible receiver.

I have the components gathered up to build the device and have begun to lay it out. I'll post some pics when I get some more done.
« Last Edit: Nov 19 2015 09:08:01 by Slayers » Logged

Fearless
1. 10' CM perf, AJAK H180, Bullseye II / Norsat PLLs, ASC1, modded Zinwell WB68 multi-switch, HTPC (mine :) )
2. 10' Winegard Pinnacle, AJAK H180, Bullseye II / Norsat DROs, ASC1 (gen 1), modded WNC 4x8 multi-switch, GSP microHD  ( the wife's )
Slayers
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: Nov 19 2015 09:15:10 »

No off site live links as to rule # 9

http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

9. No off site live links. Live links to LEGALFREETOAIR.COM posts & files are ok. Live links to SATHINT.COM are OK. Links live or dead to other fta forums are prohibited except if you have permission from staff first.

Please use code for posting off site live links...

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM...Staff

Testing (1)TBS.6922.PCIe Express Satellite TV Card On
Ubuntu-64-Bit-Linux...
Windows-8.1-64-Bit-Build-9600...
Windows-10-64-Bit-Build-10240....
Fearless

FTA all the way

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19 2015 09:31:18 »

Sorry, forgot where I was at. Won't happen again wink

Fearless
1. 10' CM perf, AJAK H180, Bullseye II / Norsat PLLs, ASC1, modded Zinwell WB68 multi-switch, HTPC (mine :) )
2. 10' Winegard Pinnacle, AJAK H180, Bullseye II / Norsat DROs, ASC1 (gen 1), modded WNC 4x8 multi-switch, GSP microHD  ( the wife's )
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17 2015 10:54:21 »

Hey Fearless,

Would love to see this and know how it works for you if you have built it.

Cool

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Fearless

FTA all the way

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19 2015 04:01:04 »

I have built both of N0QBH's Polar rotor control projects and liked how those turned out and this one was no exception. I have learned a lot about how my system works with this device. You can check switches to see if they pass calls and which ports they do. I was thinking the positioner was sometimes not hearing the first DiSEqC call and the receiver had to repeat itself. But instead I found the receiver doesn't always issue the call immediately. I found calls I didn't know existed until I built this. I'm just finding out all the things I can check out with this. Here all along I thought it to be more of a novelty than a tool. Definitely a useful tool  smiley
I built two of these. One with a 2x16 display and one with a 4x20 display. I gave the 4x20 away as a gift to Brian Gohl.  There is a different firmware for the 4x20 unit because of the display addressing. Many thanks to N0QBH for all his help and assistance on these projects!

Fearless
Fearless

FTA all the way

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19 2015 06:36:53 »

OK figured out the pictures

Fearless
Titanium
Honored Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19 2015 09:43:32 »

I was very surprised and happy to receive this wonderful Christmas gift! Fearless did a great job and very well constructed. Looking at it, one would almost think that it came off the store shelf!

Works very well and makes testing so much easier! I previously would have to have the device that I was testing next to a PC and use a sound card to capture the DiSEqC strings. Now I can test for DiSEqC commands outside at the installed dish and on the other side of motors and switches!

Thank you for the great project and gift!!! What are you building next? :D

Titanium Satellite
Brian Gohl - AI6US
Proud to Support LegalFreeTo Air
Hockeynut
Know's FTA

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20 2015 11:00:13 »

That is cool fearless..Is a nice tool indeed to help diagnose an issue for all dish farmers...Keep up the great work!!
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20 2015 06:05:51 »

That is very impressive! Super quality work Fearless, i agree with Brian it looks almost store bought. I can see how this could be a useful tool. Now you got me thinking i may have to build 1 for myself. I do think i will have a little extra time on my hands in the next month or two. Maybe this will be one of my projects.

Thank you Fearless for the pictures of your build, and the link to the article with N0QBY's's project. And thank you to N0QBY's for showing folks to build one of these.

I am always just amazed at the things people in this hobby can create.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20 2015 06:10:06 »

Couple of questions -

Pic 1 showing the 9v battery attached to the F Connector - is this just to show the unit powered externally? Or always powered this way?

Pic 2 shows 2 coax cables, i am assuming 1 from the receiver (powering the unit) and the other from the positioner?

And the RS232, this is used to connect to a PC if you want to see the output there? And also for upgrading firmware?

Last question - what would you think the parts cost estimate would be to build one of these, assuming you had none of the materials to start with?

Thanks in advance.

Fearless

FTA all the way

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20 2015 06:29:20 »

First, I typo'd the authors name. If you could fix it maybe? It is N0QBH not N0QBY.
I used the 9v for power test, setting the contrast on the display and checking the switch. The unit is powered through the coax. You can use one cable and a "T" fitting or two cables I/O. Whatever best suits the situation you have  grin

The Serial connecter is TTY data out only. You can log the calls with a computer. N0QBH used Hyper Terminal. I'm Using PuTTY
Hard to estimate parts. Most of the stuff is scrounged up. Salvaged components and repurposed parts. The 2x16 display I bought for $12 but the blue 4x20 I put in the ASC1 cost $6 free ship from china. The PIC is $1.50. And the PIC needs to be programmed. The cases were given to me as junk stuff.
« Last Edit: Dec 20 2015 06:31:14 by Fearless » Logged

Fearless
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21 2015 12:52:54 »

If you buy your PICS from Digi-key, just email them the HEX file, and they'll burn them for you for FREE!

That way you don't need to buy or build a programmer.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
Slayers
Honored Member
LFTA Legend

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21 2015 02:51:44 »

First, I typo'd the authors name. If you could fix it maybe? It is N0QBH not N0QBY.

Typo in subject changed to N0QBH as requested... smiley

Slayers

Testing (1)TBS.6922.PCIe Express Satellite TV Card On
Ubuntu-64-Bit-Linux...
Windows-8.1-64-Bit-Build-9600...
Windows-10-64-Bit-Build-10240....
Fearless

FTA all the way

« Reply #13 on: Dec 21 2015 07:45:07 »

If you buy your PICS from Digi-key, just email them the HEX file, and they'll burn them for you for FREE!

That way you don't need to buy or build a programmer.
I checked into that. They will program PICs, but not free. It's a $50 setup fee and price per chip programming starts at $.25 ea min 200 pieces. This was quoted on the PIC 16F628A used in this project
I use a Pickit2 programmer
« Last Edit: Dec 21 2015 07:58:50 by Fearless » Logged

Fearless
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: