LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Aug 14 2022 09:59:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site Rules - All Members Please Read!  >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of C-band and Ku-band and FTA  (Read 1484 times)
FTAMAYHEM

« on: Jun 10 2009 10:21:49 »

With many stations shutting down their analog signals, I'm wondering whether to even bother setting up a 6' Travel-Sat mesh dish in my backyard.  It came with a positioner (Dometic/A&E 1000-I) and a descrambler (Uniden UST 4200).  I bought it but have never hooked it up.

Coincidentally, whether it will work or not with the dish, I have a new Tivax STB-T9 converter box (Digital to Analog).  It works fine with my normal VHF/UHF roof antenna.

Any suggestions welcome, along with comments about whether there is a good future for C-band, Ku-band, ?other?-bands, and FTA with large dishes.
ftabrat
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

There's Free to Air up there!

« Reply #1 on: Jun 10 2009 11:33:52 »

I'm wondering whether to even bother setting up a 6' Travel-Sat mesh dish in my backyard. 

Any suggestions welcome, along with comments about whether there is a good future for C-band, Ku-band, ?other?-bands, and FTA with large dishes.

I'm not familiar with those brands, but YES get that BUD up!
you will still have your DTV OTA, and a lot more TV programming choices on that C band BUD.
And if that aint enough TV for you, you can modify the BUD to add a Ku LNB if your receiver can use them.

if the large dish is a problem for your situation, others are playing with a C band LNB on a smaller dish (36" I think).

Coolsat 4000, Coolsat 7000, Captive Works, Fortec,  CW-800S, Solomend HD, Openbox S9 HD.
10ft mesh BUD Cband, Vbox, 90cm Hotdish ku on motor, and modified Ku dishes
 ::TVgood113 Its not Tv, if its not FTA in HD from hypermegasat.com
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11 2009 08:43:23 »

With many stations shutting down their analog signals, I'm wondering whether to even bother setting up a 6' Travel-Sat mesh dish in my backyard.  It came with a positioner (Dometic/A&E 1000-I) and a descrambler (Uniden UST 4200).  I bought it but have never hooked it up.

Coincidentally, whether it will work or not with the dish, I have a new Tivax STB-T9 converter box (Digital to Analog).  It works fine with my normal VHF/UHF roof antenna.

OK. On the future of FTA C and Ku Band, no one ever really knows exactly what the future will hold, especially with the programming on there. But, there is certainly always going to be programming to watch. May of the ethnic and religious channels will always be there, its the only way to get their programming out to the masses all over the world. There will always be things to watch, always will be wildfeeds, etc... I hope that these tv stations wake up and smell the coffee and realize that the more people that can watch for free, the more exposure their advertisers get, etc.. Its a win-win if they would market it that way.

As far as that Uniden receiver and the positioner I would plan to scrap that stuff and go with an FTA receiver and a V Box for a positioner. What you have is very old technology, you would be well served to get it up to date.

he Convertor box you wont need to use with the satellite.

I hope this helps.

;D

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
FTAMAYHEM

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16 2009 10:54:17 »

So I'll scrap the positioner and Uniden UST 4200 (does anyone want them?).  Photos of dish and positioner attached.

What FTA receiver and what V box do you recommend?

Also, a clear line-of-sight to the southern sky is a problem, with so many tall trees around here.  Anyone ever make a sturdy tower to support a 6ft dish?  How?

Thanks
ftabrat
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16 2009 11:09:06 »

I have never seen one on a tower  ???
prob because it would have to be at the top to clear the top portion of the dish and the tower its mounted on, even if stationary.

I have seen them mounted on 4" dia pole that was up pretty high (above roof line)
just put some in the ground, and brace it up as high as possable (there is alot of wind load up there)

Coolsat 4000, Coolsat 7000, Captive Works, Fortec,  CW-800S, Solomend HD, Openbox S9 HD.
bassist
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16 2009 12:14:18 »

What is your zip code? Reason for asking is that even though you have trees around, you may have a number of satellites which are 40o or more above the horizon. If that's the case, your line of sight to the birds may miss the trees altogether.

I am a big fan of keeping stuff as close to the ground as possible. I end up fiddling with my dishes a lot & you probably will too.
ftabrat
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16 2009 12:26:50 »

yeah but think of the excercise they will get..

Climb the ladder, adjust the dish, climb down the tower, check the TV
pass out with 90% quality  and a great work out ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 01 2009 07:17:34 by ftabrat » Logged

FTAMAYHEM

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16 2009 02:18:43 »

Ok, all good thoughts.  Think I'll scrap the tower and play with the 4" pipe about 6' above ground.  By the way, the dish is MOTORIZED, so I hope I won't have to adjust it manually after it is all initially aligned properly.  Zip is 85301; lat. 33.538N.  Long is -112.185W. 

My biggest hangup is this:  I don't want to go to all the trouble and time and expense of setting this big dish up, running power and coax to it, turning on the equipment, and finding out that I something doesn't work, or that I don't get many channels.  Wish I could know in advance what to expect.

The LNB is my biggest concern.  It is so old, and no one supports it; no one even claims to know anything about it.  Made by Gardiner Communications, model C95-40.  Gardiner was bought out by Cal-Amp.  Cal-Amp won't answer any questions about this LNB.  If anything at all, I think I should get a good combo Ku / C-band LNBF.  Recommendations?

Anyone done this before with similar equipment?  Some people tell me I'm wasting my time with a 6ft dish...
ftabrat
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16 2009 04:10:35 »

According to
Code:
www.dishpointer.com/
set on your zip, returned this info

Latitude: 33.5349
Longitude: -112.1848

Name: True South / True North

Elevation:  51.0
Azimuth (true):  180.0
Azimuth (magn.):  168.8

----------------
turn the dish to true south, with the motor aligning the dish straight up (or at its peek).
then check that the elevation is 51 degrese up into the air

that should do it for a rough set, you may have to tweek up/dn, east/west a bit to get all the sats, but not by much.

ftabrat
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16 2009 04:20:12 »

The LNB is my biggest concern.  It is so old, and no one supports it....

If anything at all, I think I should get a good combo Ku / C-band LNBF.  Recommendations?

Anyone done this before with similar equipment? 

I'm doing this right now!
I have an old BUD, Burned out receiver, so it set for 15 years, and the mast has drooped a bit

new C band LNB is on its way so I can use it on my Coolsat receiver.
I took the motor off and will manually adjust with a large turnbuckle for now.

if all goes well I may get a V-box and put the motor back on.

as far as Ku LNB you have a couple of options:
-another 36" dish w/motor, and use a switch to bring both dishes to the same receiver
-mount the Ku LNB on the BUD near the C band LNB and use a switch to bring it together.

let us know which way you go on this

bassist
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16 2009 06:38:42 »

Hey Mayhem,

Three good sats which are high in the sky for you:

83 west KU band RTN East & West
91 west Cband  CW network & EWTN feeds (made me a hero with my wife)
99 west Cband Caribbean major networks + a wyoming nbc affiliate. You'll easily find the last two.

If your big dish is in good shape, I'd get a combo c/ku band lnb, a gbox mover & get your bud moving.
BTW, if your budget allows, I would also get a 36" dish & a KU linear lnb. You WILL find having a 2nd dish is nice.

For my true fta, I'm using a coolsat 4000 that I got for less than $20. Because of several issues, coolsats are going cheap on ebay & craigslists, so you can cheap-out on a good receiver. I am salivating for a Traxis, however.

Consult Casey at HMS!!
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: