LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
July 29, 2021, 10:22:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: GEOSATpro HDVR3500 Updated Sat List 022221  >>> http://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=50147.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Octagon SX88 H.265 HEVC HD  (Read 8436 times)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« on: October 15, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »

Octagon recently released the SX88 fta receiver. This is an entry level receiver with a closed source Linux operating system. The Octagon SX88 has a very good and accurate blindscan, and its tuner is very sensitive. Low symbol rate transponders are not an issue with this receiver.

The Menus for the SX88 are laid out in an easy way, and they should be familiar to anyone that has had an Openbox or other Ali type receiver. The motor controls need some work as the diseqc 1.2 positions are hard coded to the satellite number. I have made a complaint about this, and will see if anything gets done about it. The motor also moves every time a different satellite is selected in the antenna setup menu, and this is another thing I would like to see fixed.

The Octagon SX88 has several media capabilities such as IPTV, and includes a version of Kodi. I have not checked any of the media features to see what they do or how they function. The media does give the box other options, and would be great for someone that cannot get a lot of satellites, or for someone with fast Internet connection.

There are no less than two suppliers who would love to sell the Octagon SX88 in North America. Personally I think it is a great basic receiver and find it fun to play with. The small size of the SX88, and the infrared extension allow the SX88 to be mounted behind the tv or in another unseen location. The SX88 is about the same size or dimensions as a notebook hard drive. I find this receiver runs only warm, and does not get hot as long as there is no more than about 400 milliamps being drawn from the lnb output. I tested the lnb output at approximately 500 milliamps for 1 hour, and noticed the receiver got a bit warmer than I would like.

Would not uprise me a bit to see someone in North America selling these receivers soon. We will see...

Here are links to a couple of blindscan videos that were done by me. This little receiver logged 50 transponders in a blindscan of 116.8W on c band which is very good! The channels scanned without producing duplicate channels.

(97w-Ku)
Code:
https://youtu.be/CfIGCB8Klhc

(116.8w-c)
Code:
https://youtu.be/xoCbxWYBs00

Giftbox picture is attached.

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

CHECK OUT THE NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM WEBSITE

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »

Thanks elbandido, that is a nice looking receiver. I found some more info on it, but it is all in German so i cant not read it, lol. But at least i could see a few more pics.

Code:
http://www.octagon-germany.eu/produkte/digital-receiver/hdtv-receiver/satellit-dvb-s2/sx88/

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »

I have all sorts of pictures and videos of this receiver, so that area is not a problem.
Shipping = 20pcs per carton.

Here are the full specs of the SX88 that have been provided to me.

Main Features:                     
STB Type =    DVB-S/S2 Receiver
Main Chipset = GX 6611
Mechanical = Plastic CASE
Func/Interface   =    LNB IN,RCA, DUAL USB2.0,SPDIF,HDMI,LAN,IR, RS232,CA,DC-12V
Heatsinking = Yes
TUNER Type   = RDA5815m
Demodulator Type =    Internal
SMPS Type = 12V/1.5A Adapter

Ⅱ.Software Features                        
1.Software General Features(DVBS/S2)                     
MPEG = MPEG2, H.264/AVC,  H.265,  HEVC, MP4, AVS+
CA Type = Multi-CAS
SCPC/MCPC = SCPC and MCPC  receivable from C/Ku band satellite
PAL/NTSC = Automatic PAL/NTSC conversion
Channels Number = 5000 channels TV and Radio programmable
Favorites = 16 different favorite groups selection
OSD Language = Multi-language OSD (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish,  Portuguese, Russian,Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Polish etc)
EPG   = Fully support to 7 days Electronic Program Guide(EPG)
PIG   = Picture in Graphics(PIG) support
Color OSD = True color On Screen Display
NetSearch =   Automatic network search for newly added transponders
DiSEqC = DiSEqC 1.2 fully support, 13/18V, 0/22K, 0/12V LNB control
Channel Edit = Various channel editing functions(favorite, moving, locking, renaming, deleting and sorting)
Parental Ctrl = Parental control for channels
Easy Menu =   Ease to use Menu System
SoftUpgrade = Software upgrades through interet or USB
Timer =   Support set timer via EPG
Subtitle = Subtitle support DVB EN300743 and EBU-
Teletext = Teletext support DVB ETS300472 by OSD
Save Channel = Automatic save for last channel
Sort Channel = Channel list can be sorted by alphabetic A-Z,Scramble,Favorite,Lock,Sat
USB Disk = Supprot FAT16/FAT32/FAT12/NTFS
Record = 1 recording, then still can timeshift
HDMI Interface = 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i,1080p
DLNA = Support DMS and DMR
Network = Support LAN/WIFI/3G
Internet = Support IPTV/Stalker/Youtube/Redtube/Shoutcast/Weather/Filmon/Xtream
Plugin = Support KODI plugin(Optional)

Ⅲ.Hardware Features   

LNB IN = IEC 169-24, F-Type, Female
AV OUT = 1 ⊙3.5mm EarJACK CVBS,Audio L/R
RS232 =   1 ⊙3.5mm EarJACK
DIGITAL AUDIO = SPDIF Coaxial
USB = 4 PIN Female USB 2.0
HDMI = 19 PIN Female HDMI 1.4
CA = Multi-CAS
POWER = DC12V
IR = 38KHz
LED Indicator = RED:STANDBY;GREEN:Signal Indicator
Battery (Remote) = 2 x 1.5V AAA
Power adaptor = 12V/1.5A

Ⅳ.Electric & Performance                        
1.Main Chip Sets:                     
CPU frequency = 600MHz
Flash Memory = 1PCS  1Gbit/128Mbyte Nand FLASH
SDRAM Memory = 1PCS 128Mx16bit/256Mbyte DDR3
2.DVBS Tuner:                     
Tuner Type = Silicon Tuner RDA5815m
Frequency Range = 950 ~ 2150MHz
Input Impedance   = 75Ω
LNB Power and  Polarization = Vertical 13VDC;Horizontal 18VDC @ 400mA (max) 22KHz±0.4KHz(0.6V±0.2V)tone, Overload Protection
Input Level Range = -75dBm~-25dBm
3.DVBS Channel Decoder:                     
DVBS Demod standard = DVB-S,DVB-S2
DVBS Demodulation = QPSK, 8PSK
DVBS Symbol Rate = 2 ~ 45MSPS
DVBS Code Rate = 1/2,2/3,3/4,5/6,7/8 for DVBS, 1/4,1/3,2/5,1/2,3/5,2/3,3/4,5/6,8/9,9/10 for DVBS2
4.TS Demux:                     
Demultiplexer = MPEG2 ISO/IEC 13818-1
Input Bit Rate = Max 120Mbit/s
5.Video Decode:                     
Video Decode = H.265 video(HEVC/H.265) upto L4.0, H.264 video(ISO/IEC 14496-10) upto L4.1, MPEG-4 video(ISO/IEC 14496-2) up to L5,MPEG2 video( ISO/IEC 13818-2) MP@ML
Aspect Ratio = 4:3、16:9
Video Resolution = 1920x1080,1280x720,720x576,720x480
6.Audio Decode:                     
Audio Decode = MPEG-1 layerI/II,MP3, MPEG-4 AAC and AAC plus(HE-AACv1 and v2), DRA,optionally supports Dolby Digital(AC-3), optically supports Dolby Digital Plus(DD+)
Sound Mode = LEFT/RIGHT/STEREO/MONO
Sampling Frequency = 32KHz、44.1KHz、48KHz
7.AV Output:                     
Video Bandwidth = SD:5.0MHz(-3dB),HD:30MHz(-3dB)
Video Impedance = 75Ω
Video Voltage Level = 1.0 Vp-p
Audio Freq. Range = 20~20KHz
Audio Impedance = 600Ω
Audio Voltage Level = 2V rms(5.6Vp-p)
8.Environment:                     
Input Voltage = AC 100~240V,50Hz/60Hz
Consumption = Max 20W
standby = <0.5W
Temperature = 0~40℃
Humidity = <95%

Software Additions (More Pending):
- added lock function for adult (Parental control)
- extended satellite max number to 250
- extended TP max number to 10000
- extended TP max number of one satellite to 400
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »

Here is a telnet query:
Connected to 192.168.1.100.
Escape character is '^]'.
gx6602 login: root
Password:
register python env path...
done!
[root@gx6602 /]# top
Mem: 52404K used, 98468K free, 0K shrd, 3228K buff, 20336K cached
CPU:  0.7% usr  6.5% sys  0.0% nic 92.4% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.1% sirq
Mem: 52376K used, 98496K free, 0K shrd, 3228K buff, 20336K cached
CPU:  0.5% usr  8.9% sys  0.0% nic 90.2% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  0.1% sirq
Load average: 2.28 2.16 1.19 1/77 3326
ftasami

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »

Whats the price? These new boxes are high sad
mopat

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:12:33 AM »

Suggested price is 75 Euros or about $88 US.

WS9036 dish, Spitfire Lnb, Powermax SG9120 rotor, .
10' solid dish with C1-PLL, TBS6982 card running SmartDVB
n5x
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »

Nice looking box
ftasami

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »

Suggested price is 75 Euros or about $88 US.

Those other 4K sellers want around $300. This is good price.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »

The SX88 is not a 4K or UHD receiver.
I do not see many 4K channels on fta satellites, and do not have any 4K fta channels that I watch regularly. The price of 4K fta receivers will probably start dropping by very noticeable amounts in 2018.

The SX88 is selling for around 75 Euros or about $88 U.S. dollars in Europe. I would expect the SX88 to cost somewhere between 100-150 dollars (shipped) if someone sold them in North America.
The fta market is shrinking in North America, and participation in fta forums in North America is next to nothing. Less people using fta means you will pay more for fta products.  This is why a receiver that costs 88 dollars in Europe may cost 150 dollars here.
ftasami

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »

The SX88 is not a 4K or UHD receiver.
I do not see many 4K channels on fta satellites, and do not have any 4K fta channels that I watch regularly. The price of 4K fta receivers will probably start dropping by very noticeable amounts in 2018.

The SX88 is selling for around 75 Euros or about $88 U.S. dollars in Europe. I would expect the SX88 to cost somewhere between 100-150 dollars (shipped) if someone sold them in North America.
The fta market is shrinking in North America, and participation in fta forums in North America is next to nothing. Less people using fta means you will pay more for fta products.  This is why a receiver that costs 88 dollars in Europe may cost 150 dollars here.

Can you get them on ebay for europes price? I thought it was 4k. Ain't h-265 4k?
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »

H.265 Is HEVC. This is not 4K. Look in the link for an explanation.
Code:
https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hevc-high-efficiency-video-coding-h-265-and-4k-compression-explained/

The Octagon SX88 is advertised on Ebay, but you will have to contact the seller for shipping. Expect anywhere from 20 to 40 dollars to be added to the price for shipping, even thought the receiver weighs a small amount, and is shipped in a small package.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »

A test firmware file for the SX88 was released today.
Todays firmware file puts the channels, satellites, and antenna settings into enigma2 format. Doing this allows for existing enigma2 channel editors and satellite.xml files to be installed into the SX88.
I would expect other receivers to add the enigma2 satellite and channel file systems in the future. Doing it this way is a whole lots better than looking for a channel editor that may/may not work, or looking for a North American satellite file.

Setting the SX88 up on the enigma2 satellite and channel file systems also makes it possible for the receiver to blindscan for enigma2 boxes that do not blindscan. This is something that I have wanted for a while.

This new file system for the SX88 is buggy, but I expect it to work correctly soon. Everything is there and working, except the SX88 does not want to accept the modified satellite files I send to it using ftp. We will see....
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »

Today I installed my North American satellite file into the SX88 using DreamboxEdit.
This satellite file is used by me in several different enigma2 receivers. I will keep suggesting improvements for this receiver to the developers. The SX88 will be an Excellent fta receiver if only two things can be fixed or changed.

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 11:07:11 PM »

Usually when a closed source receiver is around 6 months old, it will have all of the major software changes that it is going to get. The Octagon SX88 has motor control issues, namely automatically assigning diseqc 1.2 position numbers which I had hoped they would fix. The motor will also move repeatedly in the antenna setup menu as you scroll through the list of satellites that have a dish motor assigned to it. Otherwise, the dish motor controls work pretty much as they should.

I have found some channels that the video stutters on 101W c band. Otherwise, a pretty solid receiver on video decoding.

WebTv, IPTV, Stalker, RedT*be, and some other media plugins are available. The SX88 seems to be a fairly decent media box, but I would prefer a satellite only box. IMO, there are enough great media boxes on the market.

Variants or Variations of the SX88 are starting to appear. Denys Uclan, and the Edision Primo are a couple of models that come to mind. Edision has been great about working with ATSC in enigma2 boxes, so they might add ATSC to the Primo model if possible. Someone of course would need to encourage them to do this, but Edision has been great to work with.

Overall, I think the Octagon SX88 and the receivers like it will take the place of the cheap OpenBox receivers that we had which used Ali chipsets. The SX88 has a good FTA platform, and it could be modified to do more such as DVB-T or ATSC. Edision I think would have more interest in modifying things for North America than any other brand listed in this thread.

Here is a link to the Edision Primo model:
Code:
https://edision.de/produkte/linux-receiver/primo-ip-s2/

It seems Octagon has been having problems with support. In the past, I have seen Octagon do an exceptional job with support, and I do not think their troubles of late reflect on what the company is capable of. Maybe they will get their act together, but I am not really interested in getting another product of theirs until they can get their support issues straightened out.

The Octagon SX88 has been altered so it can blindscan for the Octagon SF4008 which does not have blindscan capability. Satellite and channel files are also interchangeable between these two receivers.
But the motor control issues, the couple of channels that have video jerk in the SX88, plus the lack of providing the promised blindscan and other issues in the SF4008 have caused me to lose faith in the coding capabilities of Octagon as a company for the present time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:58:15 PM by Hyper » Logged
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

CHECK OUT THE NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM WEBSITE

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 07:14:41 PM »

Thank you for keeping us up to date on this receiver elbandido, with the good and the bad. It is much appreciated.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: