LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jan 18 2022 03:05:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X V1.0.37 Firmware 080921 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51517.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Product Review - Edision OS MIO 4K Enigma2 Receiver  (Read 32316 times)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« on: Dec 29 2018 11:54:25 »

The Edision OS MIO 4K receiver is a Linux based, enigma2 receiver that currently has a 4.19.4 kernel. This kernel is a new release and will ensure that updates are available for this receiver for Years to come. The Edision OS MIO 4K is the first enigma2 receiver to be sold by Titanium Satellite.

Different images or software versions can be used in the MIO receiver. These images or software versions allow the receiver to be customized by the user. MultiBoot is a feature that allows an easy transition between different image types, and is a feature that is under construction in the MIO receiver.

Having kernel 4.19.4 installed in the MIO is great and ensures that the receiver can operate at its full potential for years. But it also means that some new code and patches will have to be written for this kernel in order for everything to work correctly in the MIO receiver. This will take some time.

OPenATV and other groups will make images (software,firmware) for the Edision MIO. This receiver will be well supported in the enigma2 community and has a high rating as a blindscan feed hunter here in the United States and also in other parts of the world. OpenATV in its current state is a poor choice for blindscan. OpenATV  has slow scan times when compared to other images, and will automatically delete transponders that are closer than 4MHz in spacing during a scan. OpenATV does have the most bells and whistles though, so there are advantages in using this image for some users.

I find the OS MIO to have an exceptional blindscan capability when paired with an image that favors blindscan. My choice of image is the SatDreamGr image which I immediately installed in the receiver. This image finds and scans transponders that are 2 MHz in spacing. My completed blindscan + channel scan times are mostly in the 2 to 3 minute range when using the SatDreamGr image. None of the satellites that I have blindscanned takes longer than 6 minutes to complete except the c band satellite at 105 West. SatDreamGr is probably the best choice for blindscan right now, but OpenPLi and OpenVix usually perform the same or similar.

The setup and operation of the MIO is easy for me, but this is based on some seven years of fooling with the enigma2 operating system. Shipping the receiver with OpenATV image will be very complicated for a person that is new to the enigma2 operating system. OpenATV is a German based image which has satellite channels and folders for satellite channels installed. This is a mess for us because these satellites cannot be seen or used in our part of the world. The best way to delete these satellite channels and folders is by using a telnet command.

To further complicate things, the blindscan plugin in OpenATV is currently configured wrong which will cause many transponders to be missed unless the configurations are changed. Many modifications to the blindscan plugin have been made in the past several months and are being misunderstood by many users. These modifications are ongoing, with provisions for most lnb types being added. It looks like a chart or .pdf file is needed so the changes and settings for the blindscan plugin may be understood. Messages or comments about what the blindscan features do are usually available when a feature is highlighted, but these messages may not be seen in OpenATV with the stock skin.

Overall, the Edision OS Mio 4K is a great receiver. Picture quality is good on all channels that I have tried so far with no breakups or stutters. 16 and 32 APSK transponders are easily found during blindscan. Media options in this receiver are almost unlimited. Many media plugins are available, but it would be nicer if some media plugins were written for the North American area. It is good to see a receiver with these capabilities being sold in the United States!
« Last Edit: Jan 05 2019 08:55:55 by Hyper » Logged
norman881

« Reply #1 on: Dec 29 2018 12:01:32 »

Thank you very much for the update!

10 FT Winegard Pinnacle w/Venture 36" Maxie Heavy Duty Ball Screw Actuator 90 cm Fortec w/STAB HH90 and Avenger PLL LNBF Amiko HD265 & Edision OS Mio 4K  Titanium ASC1 Controller & C1W PLL LNBF
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29 2018 04:10:47 »

My pleasure Norman. I think the MIO is a great receiver.

For the blindscan settings, there are several configurations that can work, but some will produce more channels than others. The original blindscan plugin was written several years ago and used only universal lnb. So c band and other lnb types that have a single l.o. are add-ons. This is one way to think about it.

Blindscan Filters were needed originally to keep from making many duplicates or  to keep from outputting trash frequencies. The satellites. xml file that contains the satellite transponders was used as a comparison for what was returned in blindscan. It was assumed that the satellites.xml information is correct, so it overrides what is found in blindscan. This comparison is called Sync With Known Transponders.

Known Transponders are the transponders that are in the satellites.xml file for a given orbit location.

A duplicate transponder check is included in the blindscan plugin and is also included in the Service Scan code. Currently the Service Scan rule is set so no two transponders may be closer than 2 MHz apart in some images. Other images are set to 4MHz apart which was the old rule or setting.

The blindscan settings are seen in the attached screencap are the stock settings found on the current ATV image. These settings will miss a few to many transponders, depending on what is being scanned. The way it is set, the satellites.xml will be searched 3 degrees in each direction of the target, and any transponder that is found in blindscan will be deleted if it is also found in the satellites.xml. Not good!

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29 2018 04:16:21 »

The attached screecap shows the blindscan menu set for maximum return for scanning transponders with a symbol rate of 2000 and up.
The sync with known transponders and remove duplicate transponder filters are disabled. These filters are not needed on the MIO receiver unless there is an issue with the antenna system or an issue with the receiver settings.

A calculation is made by the blindscan plugin that sets the start and stop frequencies. These should not need to be changed when using the MIO because it will take more time to chamge them than is saved in the blindscan time most of the time.

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29 2018 04:31:18 »

There are some known issues with the MIO blindscan that may or may not be fixed.
They are:

(1) Blindscan may hang when a start symbol rate of 1 (1000SR) is selected.
This hang does not happen often, but can be annoying. Use a start symbol rate of 2 if blindscan hangs.

(2) Blindscan may return an incomplete scan.
This also does not happen often. Rebooting the MIO and re-scanning should solve this issue.

(3) Blindscan may miss some transponders.
This problem probably exists in every fta receiver or fta card that has blindscan. There is not much that can be done about this except to report it and hope adjustments are made. I can easily say that the MIO finds more transponders than it misses! (It is assumed that an image with a good blindscan is being used.)

The 3 issues mentioned above do not happen often on my antenna system. They have been reported to the manufacturer, so we can only hope that adjustments will be made. I still say that the MIO is an exceptional blindscan receiver - even with these issues.
hoytclagwell

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29 2018 06:58:48 »

Nothing but bad luck with mine. Stuck in endless boot. Once a screen came up with a remote on the right side with a yellow arrow on it but everything was in Germany. The TV goes into an unsupported format while the box displays boot counts to 100 then back to boot. Any ideas?
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29 2018 07:23:05 »

How Exactly did it get stuck in endless boot?

Have you tried installing a different image?

Should be able to fix it.
hoytclagwell

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29 2018 10:34:41 »

Well it's a story for sure. I've been in contact with Brian and have one problem fixed. I plugged it in after hooking it to the TV and it did it on it's own. I did not load anything or try anything it would say boot on the display and begin counting stop and go back to boot. It did this many times and finally made it to 100 and picture of a remote on the right with a yellow arrow and some German language came up. As soon as I tried to do something with the remote it boots again. Finally the same remote screen came up and stayed for a while but no response from the remote. Found out the remote wasn't working by shining it into a cellphone camera per Brian. I took the remote to my work bench knocked it a part and found the IR LED had one lead broken off the circuit trace. The copper traces on the remote peel off easily and after some soldering work I had a working remote. Meanwhile back in the house the receiver was back to booting and finally shut down permanently. I found the receiver hot to the touch, the front display was out, no picture on the TV, but the remote IR sensor and e-net lights were on. I didn't have a LNB hooked to it I was using a TV just to set it up then after the wife finished watching Angry TV I was going to install and scan the sats. Letting it cool down and still the same no front display, but the sensor and the e-net lights, no TV. Going to send it back.  Angry
hoytclagwell

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29 2018 10:37:44 »

Remote picture.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29 2018 11:41:39 »

Thanks for the information!

For a recovery, it would be possible to use multiboot. To see the recovery or multiboot menu, Press the menu button on the remote a few times right when the receiver starts to boot, and right when the receiver is displaying Boot. A screencap of this menu is attached.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30 2018 12:15:49 »

Setting the blindscan stop symbol rate to 60 (60,000) helps.
A transponder with a symbol rate of 49 (49000) was found earlier in a blindscan.
Most fta receivers stop at 45 (45000).

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30 2018 10:39:04 »

Here is a note about usb tuners in the MIO:
The MIO has a recent kernel of 4.19.4.
Most usb tuners will not work with kernel 4.19.4 until patches or software upgrades are made for these products. Currently TBS 5925 and Sundtek ATSC does not currently work in the MIO. Updates will have to be made for these and some other usb devices before they will work with this kernel.
The MIO has slots for 12 usb tuners. I expect we will get updates for these and other usb devices, or else it would be useless to have this many usb tuner slots.
Hauppauge ATSC 850 and 955 work in the MIO. The Hauppauge 950 is also supported, but I do not have one of those to test.
Titanium
Honored Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 30 2018 01:40:48 »

Thank you elbandido for your review and sharing your wealth of Enigma2 knowledge. I have a lot to learn and appreciate your insight and suggestions. Would it be possible for you to call me at the office during the week? I would be grateful for any advice on the image that should be provided and any suggestions for skins to simplify the set-up process for first-time Enigma2 users.

I have been in contact with hoytclagwell regarding the boot issues on his new receiver. If the recovery process does not address the reboot problem, i will priority ship a replacement on Monday.

Have a great weekend!

Titanium Satellite
Brian Gohl - AI6US
Proud to Support LegalFreeTo Air
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: Dec 30 2018 02:53:39 »

It is good to see a product like this being sold in North America. We will see what can be done to make things simple and easy for a person that has no enigma2 experience. For example, you can have a "Starter Image" or "Beginner's image" where the menus are stripped, and the blindscan plugin has less features.

For a recovery, I would suggest changing the noforce file to force.
Install or transfer the image files to usb stick.
Go into the osmio4k folder that is loaded on the usb and change the filename noforce to force. Doing this will cause the files to automatically load when the receiver boots.
Unplug the receiver, insert the usb stick with the force file into usb that is next to the receiver's power jack, then apply power to the box. Doing this will force the image to load. Remove the usb stick containing the force file when finished or the same thing will happen when the box boots.

To go further with the recovery, and if the boot succeeds, but no picture, then connect the MIO to a network and see if the web interface works by typing the box ip into a browser.

It is a given that these receivers will take some time to learn. But these boxes have a lot to offer once they are set up and running.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

CHECK OUT THE NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM WEBSITE

« Reply #14 on: Dec 30 2018 06:47:44 »

Just an FYI guys, i will be adding a Forum Board section for support for Edision OS MIO 4K Enigma2 Receivers

My friend Brian at Titanium Satellite is selling these, so we will help support it here at LFTA.

Plus, we have an experienced user in elbandido who is already helping.

::agree

Review Thread stickied

« Last Edit: Dec 30 2018 07:18:29 by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: