LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jan 18 2022 01:49:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site Rules - All Members Please Read!  >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Receiver says 97W but it's really 103W (KU Band)  (Read 437 times)
ezjob

« on: Jun 10 2019 11:59:12 »

Ok, I finally got the signal back and getting channels but I noticed that "Cozi" channel was on 97W. When I looked on Lyngsat.com Cozi is only on 103W so I knew something was off.

Don't have a meter to tell me which sat I'm on while aligning the dish.

I went down to 91W and scanned and got 166 FTA channels back. I knew then the dish is off. I guess.

I did this after updating the GeosatPro 3500hd with the new satellite list from Hyper.

Don't know if it's the list or the dish.

I figure the dish needs to turn back east but don't know how far to move it.

Don't want to mess it up worse. It is on the USALS hh dish motor.

Any suggestions?
skymaster
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10 2019 08:21:42 »

ezjob,
if you have dishpointer on phone as app you can use it to locate sat. also use your smartphone if you have one to use compass app
gets pretty close. Go to sathint and look up 97 west. copy or write down transponder frequencies.use your receiver as a signal meter.
pick a transponder that has a good signal like rt news, or amazing discoveries.
this is done in setup.enter the transponder the channel you want to find is on. watch the signal meter while moving dish thru usals. Dont know what receiver you have, but when i didnt have signal meter, i used my receiver to indicate signal and quality by watching the indicator bars showing signal strength and quality.

Also you can order quality signal meters off hyper at his store  at hypermegasat. Pretty top quality and quality service.

skymaster
skymaster
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10 2019 08:33:17 »

ezjob,
you might find it easier to move your dish manually. i used to do this with my older receivers. find a sat using usals. then in either direction move the dish until signal is lost. blind scan,if nothing bump it a coulpe of times. then blindscan again. log it and write down channels and or transponders found. if you are on the satellite belt, and dish was aligned to true south sat, then you should be able to hit all the sats you can hit in your location barring any trees,etc.

hope this helps. remember go to sathint and download 97w transponders. load it into your receiver, and start scanning and sweeping.if you know where 91 and 103 are go either way east or west slowly .ur only 6 degrees off from 91 to 97 w and from 97w to 103 w.go back to 103w and slowly move it off 103w towards the east next sat should be 101, then 99, then 97.

this is my poor mans way of scanning the sats. its slow but it works.

skymaster
ezjob

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11 2019 08:59:29 »

Thanks Skymaster,

I'm on the satellite arc but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to rotate the dish at the pole east a little so the dish is on the same satellite as the receiver.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11 2019 10:29:28 »

If you are on the satellite arc now, you probably will not be when you physically rotate the dish 6 degrees and adjust its elevation! Understand what you are moving and why you are moving it before making any adjustments. It is very doubtful that the dish moved exactly 6 degrees on its own, and also managed to stay on the satellite arc.

The difference between 103w and 97w for my location is 6 degrees (103-97 = 6), and roughly 2.4 degrees of elevation. My satellite dish is tracking the arc now, but I probably will not get many satellites if I move 6 degrees and change the elevation 2.4 degrees.

If you are getting satellites, use a piece of paper to plot the satellites you are getting, and the number of channels or transponders you are getting for each satellite, going as far East and West as possible. Use the information from Lyngsat or SatHint to figure out what satellites you are getting. If you will gather as much information as possible on the satellites you are able to receive now, then it will be easier to know what adjustments to make at the dish.

Also carefully check the receiver settings. The problem may be fixed by changing a setting instead of rotating or making other adjustments to the dish. Ku motors can run for years without needing adjustments when they are setup correctly.

ezjob

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11 2019 11:50:42 »

Thanks elbandido, My dish is so high off the ground it's hard to adjust it. About ready to give up on it.
Jimlw1
Know's FTA

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12 2019 08:57:13 »

Have you rechecked the USALS (your location W degrees) numbers in the receiver ?

jimlw1
ezjob

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16 2019 11:02:20 »

Have you rechecked the USALS (your location W degrees) numbers in the receiver ?

jimlw1
Yes, They are correct.
skymaster
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22 2019 12:44:11 »

ezjob

doing it manually you still use the motor but instead of usals that will swing it automatically you can bump it with your remote slightly until you get a channel. earlier you stated you picked up 160 some stations im betting it was 97 west.like jim said, check your usals settings. you might have to reset them and re enter your longitude and latitude info.unitl you get your usals figured out, run it manually thru your remote. enter a known transponder from sathint for 97w and move it manually by remote slowly until signal bar indicates or you get pic.. check your settings, and also if you recently installed this dish, check your mounting brackets to make sure the motor or dish isnt slightly loose. just some hints. like el bandido said make a chart and log it. with unknowns you have to make a chart and start logging.thats how we all did/do it,

skymaster
skymaster
« Reply #9 on: Jun 22 2019 12:53:35 »

ezjob,
if your receiver is saying 97w but you say its 103w then you are 6 degrees off on your listings. . the 91w is probably 97 west. being you are 6 degrees off on listing.sounds like your receiver needs to be reset after you get back to 97w which your receiver is saying 91. go to your receivers 91 get the 160 some channels back, and make a list of channels and compare them with 97w on sathint. see if anything looks familiar. if it does. reset receiver settings  and then set up your 97w  that you are already on. then try usals from that sat and see if it works.

skymaster
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: