LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jan 18 2022 03:08:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site Rules - All Members Please Read!  >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new OTA project, 2 OTA Antennas combined  (Read 1828 times)
mopat

« Reply #30 on: Aug 18 2018 08:19:47 »

You can buy a high-VHF yagi from Amazon.

Fracarro #6E512F  $50

WS9036 dish, Spitfire Lnb, Powermax SG9120 rotor, .
10' solid dish with C1-PLL, TBS6982 card running SmartDVB
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

CHECK OUT THE NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM WEBSITE

« Reply #31 on: Aug 18 2018 05:09:08 »

hyper ,
just curious,

how did the dual antenna setup work?
im thinking of incorporating that idea with my setups

skymaster

This set-up works perfectly to combine 2 OTA antennas into one coax.

Pro's -

2 OTA antenna's covering 2 different markets into 1 coax for one scan
No need to rotate the antenna(s) so signal is always there, instant channel change, no rotor to fail

Cons -

Preamp is necessary and requires power

I always like to use OTA antenna's that do not require a a power supply whenever i can just to save electricity. But this set-up requires the coupler and pre-amp that must be powered.

I would recommend this for sure though if you can get signals from 2 markets.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
skymaster
« Reply #32 on: Aug 19 2018 01:23:35 »

sounds good hyper,

have you thought about putting  antennas pointing towards 4 different directions to cover 360 degs?

skymaster
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #33 on: Aug 20 2018 06:11:27 »

sounds good hyper,

have you thought about putting  antennas pointing towards 4 different directions to cover 360 degs?

skymaster

No, that is not an option really for the area my place is in. One direction is the ocean, no signals out there, and other direction the OTA signals are way too far away. This set-up covers everything i can possibly get within say less than 70 miles. Maybe there are some channels i can get 100+ miles out, but i do not want to mess with a big old deep fringe antenna, expensive antenna tower, etc..

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #34 on: May 18 2020 10:43:34 »

Sorry to report - after 4 years this set-up failed.

I was disappointed, but then again, it lasted 4 years.

In Florida - maybe 1/4 mile from the ocean.

The salty wet atmosphere wreaks havoc.

No big deal, just went down to one antenna, still scanning in 59 OTA channels!

thumbs_up
« Last Edit: May 18 2020 10:48:17 by Hyper » Logged

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 18 2020 11:26:10 »

The Edision receivers, and some other enigma2 receivers that support the Hauppauge 850,950, 955 ATSC tuners are capable of running two separate terrestrial antennas without using any special parts. For the two antenna system to work with these receivers, you need two atsc usb tuners connected to the receiver. Then connect each atsc tuner to a separate antenna. There is a plugin named slowzap that allows the terrestrial channels to be separated on the two tuners. 

Less parts installed should equal less signal loss.  The drawback to this system is you need all this equipment in each room that you use to watch tv. Combining two antennas will have more loss of signal, but you only need a television instead of a receiver with two tuners.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: