LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jul 06 2022 01:26:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K HD265 V1.5.63 Firmware 062322 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51812.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-Switch Question  (Read 4511 times)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #90 on: May 08 2022 11:16:03 »

Gardiner is "supposed" to be good. Never ran one or the Satmaximum piece. You might contact Satmaximum and see what they say. An U.S. number is on their webpage.

Code:
https://satmaximum.com/

The Norsat would be the safe bet. Should be able to return it if you don't like it. Just be careful with the scratches. Only put a screw or two in to test it.

As for over all signal and In General,
LNB'S seem to work a bit better or at times a lot better than lnbf's.  But either one will usually do the job of watching video on satellite tv. A decent lnb is better constructed than a lnbf and is why the difference in money is so great. Disassemble a decent lnb and any lnbf. You will notice a difference in parts and in materials. This of course would not apply to the cheap made lnb that cost a few dollars.
« Last Edit: May 08 2022 11:19:07 by elbandido » Logged
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #91 on: May 12 2022 05:14:23 »

Would my passive multi-switch be able to power up PLL lnb's?

Norsat 8225RF DRO current drain = 130 mA
Norsat 5250R PLL current drain = 250 mA  shocked

The PLL looks better on paper.... But I prefer not going to a powered multi-switch.

My system is still switching flawlessly. Now the wife definitely wants a kitchen tv added as well. It could soon be peace in armadillo land. lol

If a frog had wings,he wouldn't bump his butt when he tried to fly.
I wouldn't shoot a rat that was trying to get out of the city!
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #92 on: May 12 2022 05:49:30 »

PLL or Phase Locked Loop became popular in the seventies when it was introduced into consumer radios. The technology helped to lock a weak, noisy signal and allow it to be more usable. PLL technology is pretty much useless on satellite channels that are video.

DRO lnbs generate less noise and in return require less electrical circuits than a comparable PLL lnb. A good DRO lnb should work well for you unless you are wanting to lock very small symbol rate transponders that are data or radio. Performance of a PLL lnb may be seen on a weak, narrow signal, but a satellite video channel is wide, else it would not be video, and is usually not weak as compared to some of the data transponders.

The power requirements of the lnbs are rated maximums, and are usually less when in operation. The average fta receiver can usually produce around 450 milliamps easily for the lnb(s). Subtract 50 milliamps for the switches and you still have 400 milliamps left to power lnbs. The 8225RF will power easily without a powered switch, and is the model I would suggest for your system. The 5250R could probably be powered with one receiver, but it would be pushing it. A multiswitch powers both lnbs, similar to a 22KHz tone switch. So you have to multiply the power requirement for a single lnb by 2.

When more receivers are powered on in a multiswitch, the less power that is required for each receiver. There should be little if any advantage for you having a powered multiswitch in the system unless you just want one. My c band dish has a pair of Norsats, and my 2.4 meter ku band dish has a pair of iDirect lnbs. Neither multiswitch for these two dishes is powered.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #93 on: May 12 2022 06:29:18 »

Ah, I was misinformed. I thought a PLL was the 'best' and the wave of the future so to speak; While a DRO was kind of antiquated. Thanks for the info, Elbandido.

I don't care to lock data or even radio. I don't like searching for feeds either.

A passive multi-switch is much simpler in my opinion. Plus I have spares if needed.  Cheesy

armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #94 on: May 14 2022 11:16:09 »

Well I ordered the 8225RF DRO May 13th. Didn't see the "Before placing order, please contact us for availability." But the listing says they have more than 10 available.
I got an email today that says that model is discontinued and asks will I accept a 5250RF PLL.

The listing:

New Norsat 8225RF, C-Band DRO LNB 3.7 - 4.2 GHz 250 kHz Stability F Type 75 Ohm

*****The listing is for customer who are still looking for 8225RF****
******Before placing order, please contact us for availability*******

*****8225RF is discontinued and replaced by new model 5250RF*****
*****5250RF is PLL LNB and works more stably and accurately*****

Anyway, I replied that I need a 8225RF due to lower power consumption. We'll see how they respond. Just my luck.lol.

« Last Edit: May 14 2022 11:39:06 by armadillo_115 » Logged

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #95 on: May 15 2022 09:16:41 »

Ebay seller esatcominc is a lnb dealer. IMO, get the 5250RF if that is the only model available in that price range. You can always return it as long as it is not damaged.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #96 on: May 16 2022 02:30:58 »

Esatcominc responded. The only DRO in stock is the 8525R. I didn't like the LO stability of +/-500 kHz so I canceled the order for now. Esatcominc was very helpful with info to help me decide what was best for me. I will probably buy a 5250RF or better PLL from them in the future once I get everything else sorted out.

For now purchased and installed:
1) NOS Norsat 8000 DRO Digital C Band. 3-7 - 4.2
LO Stability 500 : Temp 35K : Gain 60
Installed on Channel Master dish, Horizontal side

2) NOS California Amplifier. Slimline II. C31012-SL  HEMT LNB 3-7 - 4.2   
35 degree : Gain 62 (Assume a DRO?)
Installed on Channel Master dish, Vertical side

Both H and V signals improved compared to the Chinese lnb's. BUT only slight improvements on 113W, 116W. Still some dropouts on Panamericana channel, but seems to be better than before.

Going to do some tree and limb removal before considering some more expensive lnb's.  grin

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #97 on: May 16 2022 07:40:34 »

I doubt the Panamericana channel issue is fixed with lnbs because you have had different lnbs on this transponder and the problem still exists.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #98 on: May 16 2022 08:12:57 »

I doubt the Panamericana channel issue is fixed with lnbs because you have had different lnbs on this transponder and the problem still exists.

Agreed. Panamericana still glitches slightly more than it was originally doing with the C2-PLL lnbf. Willax seems to be solid now with the Norsat 8000. A big sawdust pile is probably the only permanent cure.

armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #99 on: May 22 2022 08:39:22 »

Evidently the horizontal lnb has died on the wife's dish. (The 3.4-4.2 type) No signal strength. Vertical lnb is still working fine. Possibly from lightning while we were out of town, but more likely it just failed. Not sure when I can replace it with 2 days of rain in the forecast.

Just my luck... the wife's MAIN channel on 55W is Latina.... which is horizontal!

With Panamericana still glitchy, and Latina now gone.... I may runaway from home a few days. lol

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #100 on: May 22 2022 08:43:38 »

Rotate the feed and make vertical horizontal.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #101 on: May 23 2022 10:30:46 »

Or I could go out there to replace the lnb and discover that the half-baked installer forgot to tighten the coax connector.  embarrassed  rolleyes

Working fine now and a lot more tranquility in the household.  grin

MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #102 on: May 24 2022 07:02:55 »

Or I could go out there to replace the lnb and discover that the half-baked installer forgot to tighten the coax connector.  embarrassed  rolleyes

Working fine now and a lot more tranquility in the household.  grin

Lol, you aren't supposed to drink until AFTER it's all installed and locked down.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #103 on: May 24 2022 10:07:42 »

Some days I could use a drink just to get started, MikeBear. lol

The loose coax wasn't the problem after all. It ran for a while then died again. Then was working this morning. Heat related I guess.

Anyway, replaced it with one of the (brown) 3.7 - 4.2 lnb's. Seems ok so far. Some signal improvement; mostly due to replacing the cut-out scaler ring with a 'full' one.

But where will the bluebirds nest now?  huh

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #104 on: May 25 2022 09:59:45 »

A scaler ring is very important for the size of c bande satellite dishes we use. The scaler can "make or "break" a signal --especially weak or marginal ones. The scaler rings that are shipped with lnbfs are usually cheaply made, and are also cut for a different band range. Shown in the attached pictures are a brown scaler ring that was shipped with a lnbf and an older ADL scalar ring that was installed years ago.

The brown or tan lnbf scaler ring that is shown appears to be cut for 6-8 Gigahertz range instead of the 3-4 Gigahertz range that we use for satellite tv reception. The reason for this is to cut costs: The brown lnbf scaler is not as wide, and has less spacing between the rings. How much signal is lost between these two scaler rings is debatable.

For best signal results, use a scaler like the larger grey or blue ADL piece that is shown in the attached pictures whenever possible. A decent scaler will usually add stability to a mesh type dish, and also add stability to the lnbs and feed that are installed in it. You may also see an increase in signal by installing a properly built scaler ring.

Cutting a scaler is never a good idea, but it is a hobby, and we all do things in hobbies that are not good ideas.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: