LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Aug 07 2022 11:09:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM website  >>> https://hypermegasat.com/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-Switch Question  (Read 5299 times)
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #105 on: May 26 2022 10:28:02 »

A scaler ring is very important for the size of c bande satellite dishes we use. The scaler can "make or "break" a signal --especially weak or marginal ones. The scaler rings that are shipped with lnbfs are usually cheaply made, and are also cut for a different band range. Shown in the attached pictures are a brown scaler ring that was shipped with a lnbf and an older ADL scalar ring that was installed years ago.

The brown or tan lnbf scaler ring that is shown appears to be cut for 6-8 Gigahertz range instead of the 3-4 Gigahertz range that we use for satellite tv reception. The reason for this is to cut costs: The brown lnbf scaler is not as wide, and has less spacing between the rings. How much signal is lost between these two scaler rings is debatable.

For best signal results, use a scaler like the larger grey or blue ADL piece that is shown in the attached pictures whenever possible. A decent scaler will usually add stability to a mesh type dish, and also add stability to the lnbs and feed that are installed in it. You may also see an increase in signal by installing a properly built scaler ring.

Cutting a scaler is never a good idea, but it is a hobby, and we all do things in hobbies that are not good ideas.

Hmmm... I might have a larger size scaler ring laying around. I'll have to check the old parts I have. When I first set up my buds, I used the scaler ring that came with the lnbf... all small.

I don't like how some of the new scaler rings only have ONE set screw to hold the feed horn. Doesn't seem as stable to me.

If a frog had wings,he wouldn't bump his butt when he tried to fly.
I wouldn't shoot a rat that was trying to get out of the city!
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #106 on: Jun 02 2022 06:38:29 »

Here's pics showing what I'm fighting to hopefully get better reception, especially on 117W. I'm not sure it is blocking signal yet... but it's getting close.

Pic one shows the trees needing to be cut behind the dead pine snag and on the left (upper) side. The tall pine on the left needs cutting before it falls on the house.  shocked

Pic 2 just shows more of the right hand (lower) side. Lots more work before I can even get to the taller trees. Don't want to drop trees onto a Bramble and Mt Laurel H_ll as they call it up here.

Overgrown all the way to the driveway when I began. Working my way back. Mostly Mountain Laurel and Poplar sapling with blackberry vines all mixed in. I'm using the weed eater brush attachment to whack out the small stuff and brambles. Then pulling out what I can with the truck and chains. What is too big to yank gets the chainsaw treatment.

Want it stripped clean. Then plant dwarf peach, apple, and cherry trees this fall. Maybe some grapes.

Anyone want to join the party? lol

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #107 on: Jun 02 2022 10:47:00 »

On something like that, I would cut the one that I think is the problem (if possible) while the dish is aimed at the satellite/transponder that is weak. Check the signal before and after the cut.
joeroscoe1957
LFTA Legend

« Reply #108 on: Jun 03 2022 09:09:49 »

Is that downed power lines running through those pictures ?
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #109 on: Jun 03 2022 10:58:11 »

Is that downed power lines running through those pictures ?

No, Joe. That's my satellite cables in poly water pipe running to the dishes. Also some ribbon cable that hasn't been connected yet and a warm weather water line. Everything to eventually be covered with landscape fabric and mulch.

On something like that, I would cut the one that I think is the problem (if possible) while the dish is aimed at the satellite/transponder that is weak. Check the signal before and after the cut.

I will Elbandito. There are at least 5 larger trees that need to come down regardless. Just working my way toward it. I've found brambles over 15ft long woven all around this mess. Wish I had cleared it off 2 or 3 years ago!  rolleyes

armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #110 on: Jun 06 2022 07:58:59 »

Large trees down. Still a ton of brush to cut up and burn.

Before: Panamericana  SNR 10.6dB  AGC 75%  BER 0  73  70  0
After:   Panamericana  SNR 11.2dB  AGC 69%  BER 0  76  69  0

So at most, a minor improvement. Signal still glitching on the Chinese receiver, but less than before. Solid lock on the Edison OS Mio SO FAR. Before and after readings done on different days... so the difference in signal readings could be due to daily fluctuations.

I believe the largest tress were just beginning to interfere. Maybe I will have better luck fine tuning the dish whenever I get around to it. Nice not having to worry about the large pine falling on our house, or the large Black Oak falling on the neighbors any more.  grin

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #111 on: Jun 07 2022 10:33:50 »

Have you tried turning the lnbs 180 degrees?
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #112 on: Jun 07 2022 02:00:36 »

Have you tried turning the lnbs 180 degrees?

No, haven't tried that. Could that make a difference? Everything would need re-scanning, right?

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #113 on: Jun 07 2022 06:02:08 »

Turning the lnb 90 degrees reverses the polarities.
Turning the lnb 180 degrees will not reverse the polarities, so no rescan is needed.

Try turning the lnb 180 degrees and see what happens. Sometimes the signal will get a bit stronger after doing this adjustment. You can always put it back if it does not help. 180 Degrees is half a circle.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #114 on: Jul 25 2022 11:10:14 »

Updated photo. Slash and burn done on the side lot. Had 2 huge burns. Slowly dragging of the logs to use around the flower beds. Still lots of roots and stumps to pull or dig up. New growth already starting back while the Covid has me laid up. Grrrr. Gonna need plenty of Brush Killer to kill this mess off for good. I enjoy the work... when I feel like doing it.

armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #115 on: Aug 03 2022 10:07:39 »

Bought a new Norsat 8115 dro lnb for $70. (wanted a spare anyway) Panamericana is working much better now. Still an occasional brief glitch now and then on ONE receiver. Other receivers seem to lock it solid. May just be some fault with the ONE receiver now, IDK.

Still plan to try rotating the feedhorn 180 degrees as Elbandido suggested when I get the chance. Heck... I forgot to check the size of the scaler ring again.  rolleyes Think it is already the larger size though.

Anyway... the boss is satisfied enough that it can wait till another day. Too much other things to get done!

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #116 on: Aug 04 2022 07:44:08 »

As a test, Swap the ONE receiver with another receiver that works correctly. Doing this will tell you if there is a cabling problem with the ONE receiver.

Rotating the lnb 180 degrees may/may not improve the signal. It is worth trying as I have done this before with weak signals and had success.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: