LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
May 10, 2021, 10:49:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X V1.0.23 Firmware 042821 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51408.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OTA TV Antenna Review - Winegard YA7000C  (Read 604 times)
spongella
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« on: January 28, 2021, 07:22:48 AM »

Hello all, been quite a while since my last post.  Hope Hyper and the gang are all doing well.

I recently installed a Winegard YA7000C antenna for OTA TV along with a Winegard Boost XT preamplier for OTA.  Previously I was using one of those "150 mile" rotatable antennas that seem to be sold everywhere on-line and run about 36 bucks, but with the FCC repacks I needed a better antenna.  You see, some of my favorite stations are on VHF low so I chose the Winegard YA7000C since it has elements for VHF low and High, along with UHF.

My location is halfway between NYC and Philadelphia.  This antenna, pointed towards Philly, brings in about 80 channels, from Philadelphia, Maryland, NYC.  Most of the stations are from Philadelphia though, which is my primary target.  The few NYC stations apparently are coming in from the back of the beam.   The antenna is about 13 feet above ground which is not very high, but my location is 280 feet ASL with no obstructions.  I also chose not to mount it on the roof due to safety concerns.  The farthest station I can receive is about 48 miles LOS so I am very pleased.

The 18 dB Winegard Boost XT preamp is a must in my area.  I may shop around for one with higher gain though and see the difference.

Interestingly, at night I receive more stations, about 20 more than the daytime and my opinion is that it's due to the sun affecting atmospheric noise.  Digital TV reception is quite different from analog in that respect.

The antenna is quite small, about 3 feet long and the longest element is about 9 feet (VHF-low).  I am thinking about adding a rotor before the spring because when the leaves start growing signals will suffer.  Thank you for reading.
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »

I'm running a Kitztech KT-200-COAX pre-amp at present, and can recommend it highly. That said, I recently ordered a different one from Televes. We've had too much snow lately, so I haven't been able to install it as of yet. It's supposed to be superior to the Kitztech one. Here's where I ordered it from. It's actually a bit cheaper cost than the Kitztech. You might want to consider it, or the Kitztech.

Code:
https://www.nesselectronics.com/products/televes-560482-dual-input-antenna-preamp-lte-filter-coaxial-f-fitting-connections-automatic-gain-control-agc?_pos=1&_sid=7adf7326f&_ss=r

Review for Televes preamp:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxD_fmqnpcI
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:12:09 PM by MikeBear » Logged

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: