LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Jul 03 2022 01:25:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site Rules - All Members Please Read!  >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X Review  (Read 18656 times)
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #45 on: May 29 2021 11:24:48 »

Wiring a rs232 connection between a computer and fta receiver back in 2003 was not very complicated because a lot of computers had a rs232 connection built in, and the fta receiver had a db9 connector. Today, most computers do not have rs232 built in, and the fta receiver has a 3.5 mm female jack in place of the db9 connector if you are lucky.
Pretty much every fta receiver will have a rs232 connection somewhere on the main board if it is not on the back of the receiver.

I think the last firmware where transponders and channels found in blindscan could be read using rs232 was version 1.0.17. This feature was not available in 1.0.23. (The correct settings were entered in the receiver to activate rs232 debugging.)

To connect to the box using rs232, you will need a 3 or 4 pin 3.5mm jack to db9 similar to what is shown here:
Code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/290917389570

That is a 3 wire 3.5 mm jack to db9 in the link, and you may ask Amiko if it is wired correctly. I am using a 4 wire 3.5 mm jack, so I cannot tell you if that one is wired correctly or not. Several different brands of fta receivers use this type of jack for the rs232 connection, but they may or may not be wired the same. See what Amiko can do about supplying you with the correct adapter to give the receiver a db9 connection to the rs232 jack.

Then you will need a rs232 interface on the computer. There are tons of usb to rs232 adapters on the market for computers, but I normally do not use them even though I have several different usb to rs232 adapters somewhere. My fta computer is a dual boot Windows/Linux Work Station that has a rs232 port built in.

For Windows, you will probably need to install a program called Putty that will give an interface to the usb to rs232 cable. Also, the usb to rs232 cable may need drivers for windows, so it is a god idea to spend a little more and get the rs232 to usb adapter that has a disc with the needed drivers on it. You may end up hunting on the internet for the correct Windows driver if you do not get an adapter with a disk!
I mainly run Linux which already has generic drivers for most usb to rs232 adapters. A serial port terminal, similar to Window's Putty will probably need to be installed in most Linux operating systems.

So you will need a working rs232 port with a terminal installed on the computer, a db9 cable connecting the computer to the receiver, and the correct rs232 adapter installed in the receiver. The db9 cable that connects the computer to the receiver may need to be male or female, depending on the computer and receiver adapters being used. The db9 cable may need to be wired straight or null, depending on how the adapter is wired for the receiver. The db9 cable may not be needed at all if you pay close attention to how things are wired, and purchase adapters that have the correct length of cabling for the needed connections.

RS232 Is Not something I use much on most fta receivers. It is good for reading debug information, and maybe installing a bootloader. You may install or transfer files using rs232 in a fta receiver, but the internet or local network is a heck of a lot faster. Installing a file that is around 8 MB in size through the rs232 port will take a while.

« Last Edit: May 29 2021 11:54:03 by elbandido » Logged
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #46 on: May 31 2021 09:32:27 »

The AVL6261 can probably tune transponders from around 1000 Symbol Rate to 60,000 Symbol Rate. I know it can tune to at least a 49,000 Symbol Rate.

When you try to manually add a transponder, you cannot go any higher than 45,000 Symbol Rate. This should be changed so transponders with a higher symbol rate can be added manually.

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #47 on: May 31 2021 09:39:22 »

The Amiko Mini 4K can blindscan and play channels with a symbol rate higher than 45000 as shown below.

« Last Edit: May 31 2021 09:41:06 by elbandido » Logged
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #48 on: May 31 2021 07:57:23 »

Thanks for that info on the RS232 elbandido. I guess step one is to get/build a cable. One good thing i maybe have going for me is i do have an older pc with a traditional 9 pin RS232 port i saved just for fixing FTA receivers back in the day. I have not fired it up in probably 2 years now though, maybe (probably) longer. I remember back in the day it mattered if the RS232 was "Null Modem" or "Straight thru". I wonder what it is for the MINI 4K UHD, or if it matters?

I see what you are saying with the TP manual entry Symbol Rate can not go above 45000. And thanks for the proof that it can go to at least 49000. I will see if i can get Amiko to fix this for us.
« Last Edit: May 31 2021 07:59:00 by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #49 on: Jun 01 2021 05:01:08 »

A null cable crosses the Tx/Rx pins whereas a straight cable does not. A fta receiver will either be straight or null, and these types cannot be interchanged.

Most fta receivers allow for cloning, which requires a null cable. This is probably what is needed in any receiver built in recent years.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #50 on: Jun 05 2021 05:16:56 »

Thanks elbandido for the updates (edits) to the initial review thread (post #1). Appreciate you doing that so folks can see the progress that has been made.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #51 on: Jun 10 2021 12:41:09 »

OK, just received new Firmware V1.0.29

Fix's:

1) Allows you to manually add a Transponder with a Symbol Rate up to 60000 (previously high limit was 45,000).

2) Under Manual PID scan adds H.265 as option for video type. Previously only MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264.

I have tested it and seems to work great.

Getting ready to post it in the Amiko files section of the forum in just a few moments.

One more note specifically for elbandido - i asked them to turn the "debug info" back on so you can view this info on RS232 port. No idea if they did, i dont have a way to test that yet.

Go Here:

https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51459.0

thumbs_up
« Last Edit: Jun 10 2021 12:48:16 by Hyper » Logged

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #52 on: Jun 10 2021 07:28:20 »

One thing we have not yet covered in this review is the IR Remote Extender.  The Amiko MINI 4K UHD S2X HEVC is made to be "hidden" if you want it to be. Maybe the wife (or husband) won't let you buy more FTA receivers and you need to hide it, or maybe you just want to have less clutter around your great big 4K UHD curved screen tv, maybe you just like to keep things as neat as possible.

The Amiko MINI 4K UHD S2X HEVC has you covered. Check out the attached pics. The MINI 4K UHD S2X comes equipped with foam sticky tabs on the bottom. Just peel back the liners, and stick the receiver on the back of your tv, upside on the bottom of a shelf, on the wall, etc.. and use the IR Remote extender cable. Just plug in the cable to the IR port on the left side of the STB, and position the receptor somewhere you can point the remote to.  

Now no one can see your Amiko MINI 4K UHD S2X HEVC.

Stealth Mode

::spy
« Last Edit: Jun 10 2021 07:54:09 by Hyper » Logged

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #53 on: Jun 12 2021 11:19:23 »

Amiko really needs to provide a recovery loader for this receiver. All it will take to brick it or make it unusable is for the power to blink during a file transfer, or load a file that is corrupted.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #54 on: Jun 24 2021 12:22:16 »

Amiko really needs to provide a recovery loader for this receiver. All it will take to brick it or make it unusable is for the power to blink during a file transfer, or load a file that is corrupted.

They did provide me with a Loader Tool to try. I can not say that it works, i am still trying to work out a cable that will do the job. I have attached it here if you want to try it out. (upgrade tool 1.2.04).

« Last Edit: Jun 24 2021 06:53:56 by Hyper » Logged

Pionex2020

« Reply #55 on: Jun 24 2021 06:01:59 »

Real time clock issue:
Hi, would it be possible to ask that the clock be set on boot when the ntp option is selected. To get the clock set to the correct time after boot I have to go to the time option and toggle from ntp to satellite then back to ntp to get the clock set. It's the same with all the firmware versions I have tried, I am currently using the V10.0.29 firmware.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #56 on: Jun 24 2021 07:37:40 »

They did provide me with a Loader Tool to try. I can not say that it works, i am still trying to work out a cable that will do the job. I have attached it here if you want to try it out. (upgrade tool 1.2.04).

The loader they provided you with seems to be the exact same one they provided me with. It Does Not Work!
We need a recovery loader that actually works Windows 10.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #57 on: Jul 04 2021 09:27:01 »

I asked Amiko about the cable required for the RS232 connection, they sent me this (see pic)

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #58 on: Jul 04 2021 11:37:53 »

It's good to have a cable schematic, but it is not much use without a working loader.
KE4EST
Visiting Mod

« Reply #59 on: Jul 06 2021 03:11:47 »

Hello guys.  I have upgrade tool 1.2.03 and .04 and they both work fine on this receiver.  This is using Windows 10 and just tried on the Beta Windows 11 with success.

What, I do is use a native RS-232 port on the motherboard.  If I don't have that I have PCIe cards, to add com ports.  I have had mixed luck with those USB to RS-232 converters over the the years.
Also, not sure what procedure you are trying but to get it to work; you have to do it like all Ali boxes, from the past 15 years or so.
Bring up the program, select the file to upload, select the com port, upgrade type(All+Bootloader), and Mode(Upgrade).
Now before you hit next, make sure you have the RS-232 cable hooked up to the receiver and computer.  Receiver unplugged!
Hit next and very quickly AFTER hitting next, apply power to the receiver.  You will see the 4 dashed lines on the front of the receiver start dancing haha, if you are successful.
Also the progress bar will start to move on the computer.  If you have not done this before, yes it will take a few minutes.  The baud rate must be set low, probably on purpose to keep errors down.
If you want you can have the HDMI hooked up and when it gets done it will reboot and you can see it working.

Note:  It will often come up after the upgrade on Win10 and 11 and say update failed.  When you can plainly see it did not.  If you have a bricked receiver you will see it is no longer bricked.  If you are testing this out to see if it works on a working receiver, upgrade a different firmware version than is currently on the receiver.  This way you can see that it works.

Now for what it is worth, I have sold almost 10 cases of the Amiko 4K and never had to recover one.  In the past 2 years IIRC, I have had to recover just two of the HD265, and that was from people trying to hack them somehow and then return them saying something is wrong with them.  Have sold hundreds of those.  These seem to be pretty bullet proof receivers.

The cable I use is one I got from Amiko a few years ago.  When they started out with the first Amiko Mini.  Now it seems though, that I got one off of Amazon too, when I misplaced that one.  Honestly not sure which I am using now.  Amiko or Amazon cable.

I hope this helps you guys out.

Long Live FTA!!!
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: