LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Nov 28 2021 11:58:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X V1.0.37 Firmware 080921 >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=51517.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X Review  (Read 10260 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

CHECK OUT THE NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM WEBSITE

« Reply #60 on: Jul 07 2021 09:36:22 »

Thank you for that info KE4EST. Good to know that the loader will work with the right set-up. I dont have a RS232 on my cpu or laptop, but i got an older cpu i saved that does have a RS232 port that i will eventually try this on. I used to update Openbox S10's etc using this older cpu so i am sure i can get it to work. I also will note i have not had a bricked unit either. I have not sold as many as you, but still significant numbers, and so far so good.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #61 on: Jul 08 2021 02:45:32 »

LOL.
You guys sell receivers. I have to pay money for them, so my requirements might be a bit different. I do not care how many receivers have been sold or how many have needed to be recovered for what ever reason. What I do care about is the features a particular fta receiver has.

Nothing about the MIni 4K is bullet proof. If you load a bad file or if the power blinks while you are loading a file, then you will probably need to recover the receiver using the rs232 port. Telling us that some baud setting is needed for recovery, or some cable that came from Amiko or Amazon is needed doesn't really help. Telling us that a particular loader works because you have used it is good information.

I have been playing with fta receivers as a hobby since 2003. and normally purchase anywhere from 2 to 5 fta receivers in a given year. So I probably have around 50-60 fta receivers, most of which are in storage, and several in pieces or not working.

I am also familiar with the recovery steps that are used in fta receivers with rs232 as this is about all we had around 15 years ago. The rs232 recovery procedure for different makes/models of fta receivers is pretty much the same. I do not recall using any other baud rate for recovery or file transfer besides 115200. The recovery procedure is slow, even at that baud rate.

For several recent years the only use I have had for rs232 is to read debug information. It has probably been close to 10 years since I recovered a receiver using rs232. A recovery loader that works for one person should work for another person. My rs232 adapters for the Amiko Mini 4K read debug info in Linux and in Windows using Putty. My Work Station Computer has a rs232 or db9 connector. My problem may be the wiring for the adapter is not correct, but I have been assuming that it is since receiver debug info can be read from it. Perhaps cutting one of the rs232 adapters up and re-wiring it would be the solution for file transfer?

One thing that is being missed here or overlooked all together is channel file transfer. The Amiko Mini 4K takes several steps to edit and transfer a channel file. You have to insert a good usb drive into the receiver, download the channel file to the usb drive, remove the usb drive from the receiver, insert the usb drive into a computer, edit the channel file, remove the usb drive from the computer, reinsert the usb drive into the Amiko Mini 4K, then upload the edited channel file into the receiver.
A working rs232 loader will make editing the channel file much easier, and you will not have to get out of your chair to do it.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #62 on: Jul 08 2021 07:18:48 »

LOL.

As an FTA Dealer that sell's receivers, my input/data counts. So does other sellers. I can only speak for myself, but i have not had one customer complaint on this receiver, or bricked one so far. And i have sold a decent amount of them. So that is data.

Me personally, i have thrown all sorts of channel/sat/tp edits at this box, and still going great no problems. All of the updates we have had over the last several weeks i had to load my own (edited) sat/ch list and each time with changes. And many folks will never even consider editing a channel list. People forget that not everyone who buys a receiver is a hobbyist who tests every box to the limit. Lots of people are just wanting to watch Galaxy 19 or another single satellite on a fixed dish.

But this said, i would not say this box is bulletproof. But then again no box is. Not even the newest latest greatest. If you load a bad file or if the power blinks while you are loading a file, then you will probably have an issue.

As for "The Amiko Mini 4K takes several steps to edit and transfer a channel file",

This is what i do with every receiver i own if i want to update it. I do it by USB. So i am used to this, no big deal.

I currently own

Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X H.265
GEOSATpro HDVR3500
Linkbox 9000i HD
U5 PVR HD Deluxe

Anyways, i believe KE4EST when he says the loader works under the right conditions with the right set-up. Maybe if we put our heads together we can figure out how to make it easy for anyone.

I know there are more advanced receivers out there, but i strongly believe the Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X H.265 is a great deal for anyone who wants a STB that will do DVB-S2, 4K, H.265, etc.. for under $120 or so.

My opinion and my data.

grin
« Last Edit: Jul 08 2021 07:23:15 by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
FTA-NWA

It all began for me with a fixed Hotdish75 on 97W.

« Reply #63 on: Jul 08 2021 09:48:27 »

I absolutely love my Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X! But I do have a question though - does this receiver up-convert everything to 4K so that by having a 4K UHD TV you would see improved picture quality over having just a regular HDTV? Or does the 4K UHD only mean being capable of receiving those 4k UHD channels on either an HDTV or a 4K UHD TV?

Fixed Patriot 85E 36X31 Elliptical Multi-LNB (3) KU Band Dish on 87W, 97W & 103W,
QualiTV 4x1 DiseqC Switch,
Amiko Mini 4K UHD S2X FTA Receiver,
Fixed WS9036 (HotDish90) 1 Meter Mini-BUD on 91W C-Band using Titanium C1-PLL LNB with W-MAX Filter.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #64 on: Jul 16 2021 10:42:31 »

The answer as to what device does the up-converting might vary. How something looks will vary from person to person, but I think you would see a decent improvement in the overall picture quality with a 4K television or monitor as compared to a 1080 television or monitor.

On the flip-side,  you may notice a bit of decline or degradation of picture quality on some of the older analog programs. Up-converting to a higher resolution is nice, but some pictures seem to degrade a bit.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #65 on: Jul 16 2021 11:11:17 »

My search for a properly built rs232 cable that is supposed to work with Amiko Mini 4K ended in Europe. The proper cable was difficult for me to find in the North America without building it. And the price for the cable was at least 2 times higher than it should be here. It would be better if the cable was available locally.

Some data can be useless for computing probabilities of something happening. As an example, data taken from a coin toss shows the coin has landed on heads 9 times in a row. But the probability of the coin landing on heads again for the 10th toss is still 50 percent. The coin landing on heads 9 times in a row does not change the probability of the next toss.

Attached are pictures that show the correct way to make the rs232null cable and where to buy one from Amazon.uk. A picture of the Amiko Mini 4K with the top cover removed is also included.

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #66 on: Jul 17 2021 08:02:05 »

My search for a properly built rs232 cable that is supposed to work with Amiko Mini 4K ended in Europe. The proper cable was difficult for me to find in the North America without building it. And the price for the cable was at least 2 times higher than it should be here. It would be better if the cable was available locally.

Some data can be useless for computing probabilities of something happening. As an example, data taken from a coin toss shows the coin has landed on heads 9 times in a row. But the probability of the coin landing on heads again for the 10th toss is still 50 percent. The coin landing on heads 9 times in a row does not change the probability of the next toss.

Attached are pictures that show the correct way to make the rs232null cable and where to buy one from Amazon.uk. A picture of the Amiko Mini 4K with the top cover removed is also included.

Nice - thank you elbandido for this info!

::ty

Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

« Reply #67 on: Aug 09 2021 06:26:18 »

There is a new V1.0.37 Firmware

This Fixes the Weather Forecast App

Check the Amiko Firmware/Discussion Section of the forum here:

https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?board=85.0

I will be posting it shortly.

thumbs_up

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: