LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Nov 28 2021 01:36:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM website  >>> https://hypermegasat.com/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Their A forum For This?  (Read 1487 times)
Stob

« on: Aug 04 2021 04:02:47 »

My question/issue is about internet availability. I live in a rural area, there is no cable, no DSL available, no fiber. When I left dialup, I went with Hughs satellite, that was maybe 10 years ago. It wasn't pleasant and when the 2 year plan was up, I quit. I started using mobile hot spots. I had a fair signal, but found several of these companies were less than honest or reputable. They all had usage caps which several took huge liberties in costing me money. The last company, gave decent service, didn't gouge usage numbers, but it lacked broadband service, speeds were fairly slow.

Somewhere in a discussion on another forum about satellite service, a fellow chimed in and said he had a fix for "mobile" hotspot service. He knew of modems that used an antenna, worked off line voltage, and could bring in service much better. We emailed for a bit, said he could configure these modems for my service, but it never came to be. I'm glad I never sent him money. It was a great idea though, why not a antenna modem to capture these IP services?

I caved once gain, out of desperation, and signed up to Viasat satellite. I will say, the service has been hands down better than the old Hughs, and much less installation costs, etc. But, I'm still tethered to a data cap right now. I have gone through this 2 year period, and to upgrade to a better plan doubles my cost.

I search for IPs, I read about "fixed wireless" not sure what that is really, and how it may differ from what I was talking with the other guy about, unless it is a "line of sight" service to a IP tower, instead of cell service as in mobile hotspot.

So I'm stuck with what I have, I guess. I'm asking here, if there is an appropriate forum that covers this sort of thing here, that I might get some advice.
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: Aug 04 2021 06:13:19 »

My question/issue is about internet availability. I live in a rural area, there is no cable, no DSL available, no fiber. When I left dialup, I went with Hughs satellite, that was maybe 10 years ago. It wasn't pleasant and when the 2 year plan was up, I quit. I started using mobile hot spots. I had a fair signal, but found several of these companies were less than honest or reputable. They all had usage caps which several took huge liberties in costing me money. The last company, gave decent service, didn't gouge usage numbers, but it lacked broadband service, speeds were fairly slow.

Somewhere in a discussion on another forum about satellite service, a fellow chimed in and said he had a fix for "mobile" hotspot service. He knew of modems that used an antenna, worked off line voltage, and could bring in service much better. We emailed for a bit, said he could configure these modems for my service, but it never came to be. I'm glad I never sent him money. It was a great idea though, why not a antenna modem to capture these IP services?

I caved once gain, out of desperation, and signed up to Viasat satellite. I will say, the service has been hands down better than the old Hughs, and much less installation costs, etc. But, I'm still tethered to a data cap right now. I have gone through this 2 year period, and to upgrade to a better plan doubles my cost.

I search for IPs, I read about "fixed wireless" not sure what that is really, and how it may differ from what I was talking with the other guy about, unless it is a "line of sight" service to a IP tower, instead of cell service as in mobile hotspot.

So I'm stuck with what I have, I guess. I'm asking here, if there is an appropriate forum that covers this sort of thing here, that I might get some advice.

Check to see if Starlink is available in your area now, or soon. If so, it's by FAR what you've been looking for:
Code:
https://www.starlink.com/

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
LongHauler2001

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05 2021 07:59:45 »

If Starlink doesn't work for you there's also a cellular based company called Nomad:

Code:
https://nomadinternet.com/

The upside with their service is supposed to be true unlimited high speed service and no contracts. The down side though is cost, as there are some upfront costs involved and a steep monthly bill, to the tune of $129...

Here's a video by a full-time RVer that has a review of the service:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcM-WRp7eiM
Stob

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05 2021 02:01:14 »

Thanks. I looked at both of these options. Starlink is not available at this time at my location. The nomadinternet sure is expensive! I'll keep looking, if there are any other ideas I would appreciate hearing about them.It really doesn't seem like much of a stretch to have a modem that has an outside/rooftop antenna for better reception.Even my cell phone service signal goes from 3/4 to zero from time to time, inside the house.
LongHauler2001

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06 2021 08:03:21 »

Shot in the dark, but you might see if Verizon or T-Mobile home internet is available in your area.

Verizon:

Code:
https://www.verizon.com/5g/home/?intcmp=vz-vzw-HomeHub-5GLearnMore

T-Mobile:

Code:
https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/plan

« Last Edit: Aug 06 2021 08:06:31 by LongHauler2001 » Logged
Stob

« Reply #5 on: Aug 06 2021 04:51:28 »

LongHaul, thanks for the links. Both came up as a no-go. The nomadinternet would likely work, I assume it is nothing more than an enhanced mobile hotspot. I have two of those, a Datajack and Boost. I think I could re-activate either one. Datajack is very picky on usage, Boost is not bad, but a tad slow. Both had a hard, limit, on usage. I could always fall back on either one, but they are battery operated, if you leave them plugged in, the batteries swell and fail. Why isn't there a line voltage unit that does the same thing?????????
LongHauler2001

« Reply #6 on: Aug 09 2021 07:50:10 »

I hear ya! I believe the equipment from Verizon and T-Mobile are line voltage. But everything else is really meant to be take anywhere mobile just like our phones. Hence the exclusive use of batteries.

There may be some hope though, back in December the FCC handed out 9.2 billion dollars for rural internet projects. The companies that got the money were given ten years to get it completed.
Stob

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15 2021 04:39:53 »

I have been asking for info on every forum I frequent, with no luck. I'm still using Viasat, until something better comes along, it's the best I have used here, which isn't great!

This fixed wireless thing, seems that it is a "line-of sight" thing, but people I have emailed with said they are shooting through trees OK. Both Verizon and ATT websites flat out say I'm a no go. It's a shame you can't find a local person with these companies that KNOW the terrain, instead of relying on satellite maps. Not 300 yards down the road from me, I see new antenna type things on houses that I know were using hughesnet satellite before.

How does one find a way to talk with local people?
Stob

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30 2021 01:45:33 »

OK, I came across this today, wonder if anyone is familiar with it:

Code:
https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/plan?icid=HEIS_ISW_C_20HMEINTPL_4201BARY4O4BX5HPG23552

Evidently T-Mobile is using their cell network to bring 5G, or 4G into you home for internet, in a much bigger way than a small hotspot. I'm looking for a downside or a "but", and not finding it. Affordable, no contract, no data limit, no equipment fee. This "gateway" as they call it appears to use wi-fi 6 to connect devices. Any down side to that? Never heard of it.

NO LIVE LINKS Per Forum Rules, Please Use Code Tags - ADMIN

« Last Edit: Sep 30 2021 06:52:52 by Hyper » Logged
LongHauler2001

« Reply #9 on: Oct 01 2021 07:46:00 »

OK, I came across this today, wonder if anyone is familiar with it:

Code:
https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/plan?icid=HEIS_ISW_C_20HMEINTPL_4201BARY4O4BX5HPG23552

Evidently T-Mobile is using their cell network to bring 5G, or 4G into you home for internet, in a much bigger way than a small hotspot. I'm looking for a downside or a "but", and not finding it. Affordable, no contract, no data limit, no equipment fee. This "gateway" as they call it appears to use wi-fi 6 to connect devices. Any down side to that? Never heard of it.

NO LIVE LINKS Per Forum Rules, Please Use Code Tags - ADMIN

That's the service I was telling you about in my previous post. Like you said it's basically just like regular home high speed internet but delivered over their cellular network instead of wires. I haven't heard of any real down side to it. To get the best speeds, of course, you have to be in range of their 5G network. But even 4G should give you enough bandwidth to be able to stream HD content without buffering.

From their website:

We anticipate some T-Mobile Home Internet customers will see average download speeds in excess of 100 Mbps, and all eligible households will see average download speeds of 25 Mbps or more. Speeds can vary depending on location, signal strength and availability, time of day, and other factors. Our speed projections are based on our analysis of internal and third-party data.

I would recommend speaking with someone by phone if you do decide to go that route. T-Mobile has some good discounts for people over the age of 55 and veterans. You might be able to score a nice deal on cell phone service and home internet with some good discounts.
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: