LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Aug 14 2022 11:06:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the NEW HYPERMEGASAT.COM website  >>> https://hypermegasat.com/

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RS232 Update Cables Explained - Simple?  (Read 805 times)
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« on: Nov 14 2021 08:19:01 »

RS232 Update Cables Explained

Most modern FTA Receivers do NOT have a RS232 connection.

But if you have an older STB that does have a RS232 port, this info is for you.

Simple explanation of RS232 Cables, the differences, etc..

see pdf attached    thumbs_up

And go here to see which type your FTA receiver needs:

https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=138.0

« Last Edit: Nov 18 2021 08:31:42 by Hyper » Logged

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: Nov 16 2021 08:30:57 »

Every fta receiver that I have seen has RS232 capability. Making a RS232 connection between a home computer and a fta receiver is no longer easy and has become a complicated task on many fta receivers. RS-232 or RS232 are abbreviations for Recommended Standard 232. Many types and styles of connectors have been used for RS232 since the 1960's.  

Most older fta receivers that were made before 2010 used a db9 connector for RS232 data transfers.  RS232 ports or connectors have also been referred to as Serial Ports. Any fta receiver that uses RS232 as the sole means of recovery from software errors should be considered to be a Disposable piece of electronics because it is beyond the capability of most users today to complete a data or file transfer using the RS232 recovery methods.

In 2005, most fta receivers had a db9 connector on the back of the receiver, and most home computers also had a db9 connector or serial port. Making a path for RS232 transfers between the home computer and a fta receiver was not very complicated. A db9 or serial cable that was wired either straight or null(twisted) was used to connect the db9 port on the receiver to the db9 port of the home computer.

Today, most home computers do not have a RS232 or serial connection available. This means an usb to serial, usb to RS232, or other type of cable must be connected to the home computer to provide the RS232 capability. Computers running Windows will need drivers to be installed for the usb to RS232 cable. Computers running Linux usually do not need drivers for the usb to RS232 cable, but they may need a serial port interface installed.

Finding the RS232 connection in fta receivers can be tricky or downright complicated. DB9 connectors started disappearing from fta receivers around 2010. The reason for the absence of the db9 connection on fta receivers is probably due to money, space, and the lack of use. Most fta receivers manufactured today do not need to be recovered by sending data or files through the RS232 if there is a software error. However, there are still a good many fta receivers that rely on RS232 as the sole means of recovery when there is a software error of almost any type.

Identifying the RS232 connection or port on a fta receiver is usually pretty easy. If there is nothing marked as RS232 on the outside of the receiver, then the the RS232 connection is internal and will be located inside the receiver. A jumper cable or other connection methods are usually needed for internal RS232 connections in fta receivers.

FTA receivers made in recent years may have the RS232 port or connector located on the outside of the receiver, but the connector may be a phone jack, rj11, or other type of connector. The old RS232 db9 connector that used to be seen on almost every fta receiver has mostly disappeared. Making the correct connection that RS232 requires between fta receiver and computer is not easy in fta receivers that do not have the old type db9 connector because there is no fta receiver wiring standard for the connectors that have been used to replace the db9 connector. RS232 file and data transfers between home computer and fta receiver has became a very complex and sometimes complicated process.
« Last Edit: Nov 18 2021 08:31:50 by Hyper » Logged
mopat

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17 2021 11:38:03 »

Thanks for the info, interesting read.
« Last Edit: Nov 18 2021 08:31:58 by Hyper » Logged

WS9036 dish, Spitfire Lnb, Powermax SG9120 rotor, .
10' solid dish with C1-PLL, TBS6982 card running SmartDVB
Bass Player 1964

FTA In The Backwoods

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21 2021 11:12:35 »

Excellent information!!  I just wish the manufacturers would decide on one wiring standard and stick to it LOL
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22 2021 05:52:31 »

Excellent information!!  I just wish the manufacturers would decide on one wiring standard and stick to it LOL

That makes too much sense, must not be profitable to do so .....

tongue

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
Bass Player 1964

FTA In The Backwoods

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22 2021 08:00:52 »

That makes too much sense, must not be profitable to do so .....

tongue

You're right :)  Must be a profitability issue of some kind LOL

elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22 2021 09:50:30 »

Recovery using RS232 would still be a daunting task for many even if the fta receiver wiring for RS232 was standardized. Setting up a RS232 connection on a Windows computer that does not have a RS232 connector such as a DB9 can be difficult. Most users will only worry about recovery using RS232 once the receiver is locked up. It is much easier to test file transfers from a home computer to fta receiver using RS232 with a working fta receiver instead of one that is locked up.

Most of the receivers that I own can be recovered from file errors by using the usb port. Simply reloading the image file or firmware files if something causes a boot-loop or no boot situation is all receivers that recover by usb need.

There are other receivers that will dump a bad file and reboot. The Octagon SX88 recovers by RS232, but it will usually dump a bad channel or satellite file and reload the default files instead of locking up.

LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: