LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
May 16 2022 04:26:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site Rules - All Members Please Read!  >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what I found today  (Read 1563 times)
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« on: Jan 10 2022 11:15:55 »

what I found today

It looks like the WIND snapped it.

Dan
« Last Edit: Apr 02 2022 05:14:53 by Hyper » Logged

teachmedrums.com
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #1 on: Jan 12 2022 04:45:12 »

My dish tower fell over. I have welded it back up with part of another pipe, but I will have to redo it in the spring with a new heavier pipe and some new concrete and feet.

teachmedrums.com
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13 2022 09:04:15 »

Code:
My dish tower fell over

Yeah that sucks tc.

I had my 35 ft OTA Tower fall over in the wind about 16 years ago.

Fell down and hung up on the power line - major problem.

tongue

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27 2022 01:54:03 »

I can't find a 2" pipe anywhere. I even put up a KIJIJI ad ! SCRAP yards will only sell to businesses, and a local tubing manufacturer won't even reply to my email.

Where did you get your pipe?
Dan

teachmedrums.com
Pamela

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27 2022 02:18:25 »

I thought Home Depot carried that size pipe
cyberham

You CAN receive C-band on a 1.2m dish!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27 2022 03:41:44 »

I can't find a 2" pipe anywhere. I even put up a KIJIJI ad ...
Home Depot in the U.S. sells 8-foot by 2 3/8-inch swaged corner fence posts made from 16-gauge galvanized steel. Since you mention kijiji, I suspect you're in Canada. However both Home Depot and Kent in Canada seem to only have 7 1/2-foot by 1 7/8-inch fence posts.

Satellite station disassembled. Next home location will have AMC21 @ 125W as my due south. Edision OS Mio+ receiver for Internet access only. Hauppauge 950Q USB receiver, Clearstream2 antenna, CM-7777 preamp.
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27 2022 03:49:49 »

I can't find a 2" pipe anywhere. I even put up a KIJIJI ad ! SCRAP yards will only sell to businesses, and a local tubing manufacturer won't even reply to my email.

Where did you get your pipe?
Dan

That's galvanized well pipe. That's what my mast is. Your local hardware store should be able to order it. If you are talking needing 30 or 40' of it, you might be better off buying a push-up mast, and using guy wires every 10ft above the house eve mount.

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28 2022 01:29:31 »

I want 12 feet so i can bury it 4 feet below ground.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11 2022 01:56:33 »

I found my "pipe" at a local fence supply store. It cost me $55 CAN AND IS  1 and 7/8" inch diameter 11 FEET LONG. IT IS HEAVY. This pipe normally comes in 21' length and had to be cut for me.

Because of the length, this fence post is EXTRA HEAVY GRADE COMMERCIAL GRADE.

I also plan on pouring concrete in the middle of the pipe for extra strength.

HomeDepot in Canada only had the lighter version in 7 foot lengths.

Now the next question.

Do I dig out the old pole or just cut it and move over a bit?

I plan to start this within a month after all of the snow and freezing stops.
Dan
« Last Edit: Mar 11 2022 02:04:32 by techristian » Logged

teachmedrums.com
patcomm

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25 2022 12:03:50 »

techristian,

I would try to remove the old pipe. some would just cut it,but you dont need extra hidden junk in the yard.

if you have an older truck jack,or even a floor jack, you can wrap a chain around the pipe and use the jack to raise it out of the ground. sometimes you have to drill a hole thru one or both sides and put a bolt thru it to stop the chain from migrating up the pipe.

just my own poor mans way

patcomm
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26 2022 04:34:59 »

Hey Patcomm

Now that is innovation. However my jack is hydraulic and will not pull more than 10 inches at a time. You are talking about pulling out the 3 feet of concrete as well , with the pipe? My new post is almost 4 feet underground.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
patcomm

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01 2022 11:53:44 »

techristian,

Yea, those blobs of concrete are serious. I usually dig out on the side i want it to fall, and then do the jack trick. if that fails i get my rope blocks out with multiple pulleys,install my mini engine removal frame and start pulling.sometimes i have to use a come along on the engine tripod. my son uses a 10 pound long handled sledge to help break the blob up. He also has a hilti drill wiith chisels and drills,so we can make mince meat out of that mouse in a hurry and reclaim most of the mast.
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #12 on: Apr 02 2022 05:17:50 »

I fixed the pics in your original post Dan.

You can just attach pics direct to your post, no need for using a url.

Just make sure the pics are not too large.

980 pixels max seems to work good.

And that is some crazy wind that must have snapped that post what about 3-4 inches above the ground?

The post is always weakest at the ground level, where it rusts the most, never seen one snap like that several inches above ground.

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08 2022 09:56:35 »

I have a new heavy duty pipe in the ground for the past 2 weeks. 2 more weeks and I will remount and point the dishes. I also poured QUICKRETE  DOWN IT last week...to make it extra strong.
Lots of cold wet days so I'm giving the concrete base the full month. (over 3 feet down with my pole digger)

Dan
« Last Edit: Apr 08 2022 09:59:00 by techristian » Logged

teachmedrums.com
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #14 on: Apr 24 2022 09:18:02 »

So the new tower is up. The pole is one foot taller above ground . I SPENT ALL DAY YESTERDAY just mounting the  VERY OLD STYLE dish on the bottom. Because I am using a heavier pipe the old straps wouldn't fit. One other good thing though,.... I will be able to get my lawnmower under this new setup without a problem.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: