LEGALFREETOAIR.COM
Aug 08 2022 12:03:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site Rules - All Members Please Read!  >>> https://legalfreetoair.com/index.php?topic=6.0

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where is theCW these days?  (Read 649 times)
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« on: May 01 2022 10:56:17 »

My terrestrial antenna is getting fussy with the CW Detroit so where is it in the sky???

teachmedrums.com
Hyper
ADMIN
Administrator
LFTA Legend

https://HyperMegaSat.com

« Reply #1 on: May 02 2022 07:37:51 »

If you are asking is The CW ITC on FTA the answer is No.

At least to my knowledge. (which is sketchy)

Better fix up that OTA antenna.

Cool

My son Evan, taken from his family and friends on March 26, 2010 at the age of 15. We love you and miss you Evan. We will see you again soon in heaven. I miss you son. You were the best son a dad could have. I am so proud of you. Save a place for me.
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 03 2022 10:42:19 »

Thanks Hyper

Dan

teachmedrums.com
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 04 2022 09:25:24 »

There is nothing wrong with the signal at the antenna. I picked up 65 channels including the theCW. But 75 feet at the other end of the cable 21 channels. I should have never changed the 20 year old UNDERGROUND cable. This new one was supposed to be a Zenith cable from Amazon....Only worked good for 6 months....then the center conductor turned BLACK at the end in my house and badly tarnished outside at the other end. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE RG6 cable.
I gave it a bad review on Amazon.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 05 2022 08:14:24 »

Cheap coax is cheap coax.  The word Zenith would not change that.
Decent coax will be solid copper center. Solid copper center and copper braid would be even better, but most users cannot afford that. If the coax is to be buried, then it should also be rated for direct burial.  Pay attention to the words on the outside jacket of coax as it will tell the rated uses such as direct burial.

A lot of cheaply made items are available from Amazon, some good, some bad. Specifications for what you are actually getting usually does not exist on the Amazon website in the item description. Know what you are getting when purchasing coax. If specifications are not available then do not buy it unless you can handle the potential problems. Read what is written on the outside jacket!
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 05 2022 11:51:43 »

Yep, that name Zenith got me! I never buried this new one. It is up in the air between my house and garage.

Zenith "Quad Shield"

Dan
« Last Edit: May 05 2022 12:00:30 by techristian » Logged

teachmedrums.com
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 05 2022 04:23:10 »

Quad Shield is designed to cut down on interference, especially when cables are ran close together. Most likely, you do not need or require quad shield cabling. The cheap coax that is found in various places online and in Lowes or Home Depot usually costs 35 cents or less per foot.  Good or Decent RG6 coax cable is 80 cents to three dollars per foot, depending on what you are buying. Spend a little more and get something worth having.

RG11 works well in both television and satellite applications. RG11 is a bit stiffer and slightly larger than RG6. RG11 has less loss and generally performs better than RG6. RG11 may be a better choice for your application, but it is generally more expensive than a comparable piece of RG6.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 05 2022 04:52:22 »

I bought some 'solid copper core' RG6 from an Ebay seller about 3 years ago. After several months, I finally did the magnet test on it. Copper Clad Steel! Too late to return it. But you can bet I'll never buy from that seller again. I replaced it. Thankfully it was just short lengths. Now I test with a magnet before even unwinding it.

Also: Some advertise a 'solid metal core', which could mean anything. Better assume it isn't solid copper!

The same crap happens on Amazon as well.

If a frog had wings,he wouldn't bump his butt when he tried to fly.
I wouldn't shoot a rat that was trying to get out of the city!
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 07 2022 06:57:38 »

Someone posted the following review AFTER I bought this cable.

"The core wire is not copper, it is just copper coated aluminum (in the picture), The jacket is loose, there is no information printed on the jacket, there is 4 layers of shielding but the braided layers have such thin, loose braiding that you can maybe consider them one layer if you were to put the 2 together. Altogether this wire is cheap low quality wire."

Now on Monday I'm going to try another " cheap"  cable, but one with  very positive reviews.

Wish me luck!!

Dan

teachmedrums.com
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 07 2022 07:16:04 »

The price will tell you whether the coax is quality or not. Quality coax is not cheap. You can expect problems with your antenna system when cheap coax is installed.
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 07 2022 08:25:58 »

18 gauge ccs so I cancelled this new order.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
elbandido
Visiting Mod
LFTA Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 07 2022 09:16:59 »

Decent rg6 coax should be around 80 cents U.S. per foot. Prices are wild due to the pandemic I guess, and claims of solid copper core often mean copper clad steel. Just do the best you can do. It is not easy to find true solid copper core in rg6. Also, riser cable is not usually outdoor rated.
armadillo_115
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 07 2022 10:34:35 »

Only a 75 ft OTA run? That isn't very demanding. CCS should handle that if necessary, but solid copper is best. Maybe I missed something.

Anyway, I've had good luck with this company in the past. I purchased this or something similar previously.

Code:
https://www.showmecables.com/by-category/bulk-wire-cable/coax/rg6-quad-shield-coax-cable-bc

Solid Copper Core. Note that is not direct burial nor really for outside. (I run my cables thru poly water pipe) Prices go up from there. Shipping adds to the cost.

As far as the core turning black, lightning or static electricity can cause that on coax. Or water getting inside.

YMMV

If a frog had wings,he wouldn't bump his butt when he tried to fly.
I wouldn't shoot a rat that was trying to get out of the city!
techristian
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 09 2022 07:55:28 »

Got the CW and ION now not 65 but 51 channels instead of 65 (or 31 like yesterday).

Cancelled the Amazon order 2 hours after we ordered but they are still sending the CCS cable !!!

I also order a "solid copper core" type which cost me about 75 cents per foot, but I only bought 75 feet this time instead of 100 feet. The compression fittings were already on both ends. That is what I'm using now.

I'm thinking of covering the connector at the antenna with silicone to keep out water , because that is always a big problem in the winter. It rains or snows and the weaker channels disappear until it drys up...usually a day or 2 later.

Dan

teachmedrums.com
MikeBear
Know's FTA
LFTA Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 11 2022 09:36:03 »

Got the CW and ION now not 65 but 51 channels instead of 65 (or 31 like yesterday).

Cancelled the Amazon order 2 hours after we ordered but they are still sending the CCS cable !!!

I also order a "solid copper core" type which cost me about 75 cents per foot, but I only bought 75 feet this time instead of 100 feet. The compression fittings were already on both ends. That is what I'm using now.

I'm thinking of covering the connector at the antenna with silicone to keep out water , because that is always a big problem in the winter. It rains or snows and the weaker channels disappear until it drys up...usually a day or 2 later.

Dan

Don't use silicon, it won't hold up a long time for this purpose. Use Coax Seal instead. Trust me on this one:
Code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232658308597?hash=item362b840df5:g:nCwAAOSwtudae4-n

It's moldable, and can be peeled off carefully later when needed, then re-molded back again to seal it.
« Last Edit: May 11 2022 09:37:48 by MikeBear » Logged

My nic on SatelliteGuys is Primestar31
LEGALFREETOAIR.COM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: